How Do You Deploy?? Help! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

How Do You Deploy?? Help!

Deployment is a very important part of Fantasy, and probably the weakest point in my strategy. There are too many games where I sit back around Turn 3, look at the board and think "Damn, I wish I had put those Knights over there, instead of on this flank where they're out of range".
    More so, I'm sure that I'm not alone. So how do you guys deploy your army?

We usually have fewer units, so I normally elect to deploy second (I'll finish first anyways). At least this way I can get at least one of their units to "commit blindly" to an area. But since they normally get to hold their best troops until my army is already very entrenched, I just end up going for a doggedly symmetrical deployment and hope for the best. Good for a phalanx, defense-oriented army. But for an aggressive army like Warriors, it feels like a crutch.

Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

I try to include cheap units specifically to take a deployment (units of 5 warhounds) as well as units where placement does not greatly hamper their effectiveness (Hell Cannons). As such, my two units of dogs and two hell cannons are almost always my first units deployed. After that, I generally try to weight one flank to collapse it and start rolling sideways through my opponent's army. Lores like Slaanesh and Shadows can be helpful to this as they can slow down your opponent's response by either actually lowering movement values, preventing marching, or dragging units into each others way.

Additionally, there are ways where you can create weak points in your opponent's line after deployment by forcing panic checks with modifiers with Hell Cannons, the Slaanesh spell, and more. If a unit unexpectedly falls out of position for your opponent then it can create a gap for you to exploit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Papa_Wheely View Post
    If a unit unexpectedly falls out of position for your opponent then it can create a gap for you to exploit
    i love to exploit my opponents gap.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

My 3k Marauder list has 6 units of Hounds to help me with the Deployment game. This lets me see where the bulk of his troops are going and to second guess his deployment. This helps me sort out my own deployment to counter his own. Going first doesn't bother me too much to be honest.

At 3k my Marader army has 15 Units so I can usually deploy most of my units, like my Giant, Chariots and Chosen to counter what ever they need to. Giant against big stuff or hordes and chariots Vs his nasties.

The 'core' of my army rarely changes. A death star of chosen supported, and flanked, by 2 big blocks of marauders. Then flankers such as 20 Horsemen, 2 chariots, giant, 30 dogs and a warshrine. It's the flankers that will most likely be changed to suit the enemies deployment. The 'core' is just placed to be rammed down the enemies throat and kill as much as possible

With My Warrior list its a little trickier. You have to 'second guess' where his stuff will be placed but you can still play the deployment game. At 2k My warriors still have 11 units (Chosen, 3x Warrior, 2 spawn, Scylla, 2x Forsaken, Shrine, Ogres)

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Wow, that's a lot of regiments you have Borak! I usually only have 4-5 regiments in my army, and little room to include hounds. You've seen my list, but it's usually something like: 3x Warriors/Chosen, 2x Knights/MCav, Marauders, Cannon.

I have a new question: Do you "deploy" Wulfrik's Marauder regiment? For example, do you point to the unit and say "I'm deploying these in reserves" and count it as a unit drop, or do they just not count at all until they enter play?
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have the same questions captain
    i don't count it until it comes to play
    and for the amount of units i do not count my hounds with it
    i have around 3-4-5 units mostly
    2 warriors, 1 knight, sometimes marauders and/or chosen
    i do not count my hellcannon also

i have some deployment issues also
    mostly half way the game i think... damn... i should have put that unit over here, that over there
    it's a half win if you've done your deployment good

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x3)

I only play friendly games so we do blind deployment only. My army is marching south, his army is marching north and we meet one another. You write down on a piece of paper how you will deploy prior to doing so. Then that piece of paper goes on the table and you have to deploy exactly how it was on the paper, obviously a few inches here or there are fine. This saves us from anyone taking advantage of deployment. Again though, these are only friendly games with house rules.
    Last edited by Blackheart; May 10th, 2011 at 22:44. Reason: clarity

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So here's a semi related question. Do you guys go over your kit and load-outs for magic items and stuff when the game starts? Or do you just waituntil combat occurs and surprise them? I'm not sure if it's an actual rule or not, but in my friendly games, we usually go over our rosters as we deploy them. Telling about magic weapons, banners and such.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x3)

Or do you just waituntil combat occurs and surprise them?
    For me everything is on your list which you wrote down, this way you can't pull some cheddar out of your pocket and act like you were thinking it the whole time. Of course we don't play much magic since my orcs and gobbos nephew hates it so it's mostly about items/gifts for me.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
    I only play friendly games so we do blind deployment only. My army is marching south, his army is marching north and we meet one another. You write down on a piece of paper how you will deploy prior to doing so. Then that piece of paper goes on the table and you have to deploy exactly how it was on the paper, obviously a few inches here or there are fine. This saves us from anyone taking advantage of deployment. Again though, these are only friendly games with house rules.
    you still roll to see who can choose sides? for terrain etc...

well even in my friendly games we don't tell what banners, armor or magic weapons we have
    cause then you can act differently
    or he can avoid your fire banner with his regen models even if he normaly wouldn't

and i believe it's more fun if you don't know it from each other, we have everything on paper before we start so we can check stuff afterwards

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast