Not sure how to finish this list. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure how to finish this list.

Trying to make an all comers list for 2000pt mini campaign. So far this is what I have.

Exalted Hero - Talisman of Preservation, halberd, shield, MOT 179pts

Exalted Hero - MOK, Shield, Sword of Might.

Chaos Sourcer, Lore of Death, Black Tongue.

18 Chaos Warriors, Halberds, Shields, Banner & Standard

25 Marauders, Light Armour, Shield, Mus, standard, MoT

12 Chaos Warriors, MoK Add hand weapons, shields, Mus, standard

5 hounds

5 hounds

5 hounds

Warshrine, MoT

10 Marauders with flails MOS

10 Marauders with flails MOS

Chaos Spawn

at the moment that is around 1592 pts I think.

I havent played much of this edition only a few friendly games. I'm thinking of dropping the two 10 units with flails and taking another warshire with possibly a unit of 18 chosen with halberds with favor of the gods.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't have ANY ranged up there at all, a hellcannon or two would seriously dampen the hopes of your opponent, and let you get some damage in before your cavalry arrived on the scene.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lolthien View Post
    You don't have ANY ranged up there at all, a hellcannon or two would seriously dampen the hopes of your opponent, and let you get some damage in before your cavalry arrived on the scene.
    I don't own a hellcannon. I own lots of infantry, another spawn, Giant, 10 Knights, 10 Marauders with flails, 20 chosen, and a chariot. I think knights are awful in this ed for their points cost.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

Just to throw an idea out there, you could take a chariot or two - purely to stick with your infantry and combo charge things to do a nice hefty amount of damage, or to flank charge a unit that has charged one of your blocks and got stuck.

Giants are fun but the chosen would be very killy and looking at your list I think those might be a good choice seeing as you only have a total of 30 warriors in there. Definitely can't go wrong with more chaos armoured killing machines
    'War does not determine who is right, only who is left'
    I am President of the Brunel University wargames society - PM me if interested.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whatfruit View Post
    I don't own a hellcannon. I own lots of infantry, another spawn, Giant, 10 Knights, 10 Marauders with flails, 20 chosen, and a chariot. I think knights are awful in this ed for their points cost.
    I have to admit I've only played this edition, but anytime I don't hit the table with my knights, I lose. 40pts apiece for a 2+ armor save, 2 attacks at S6 (plus steed), and fear, and I daresay they are perfect for fighting ranged units or light infantry. I like my knights.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x2)

i have had terrible luck with the black tounge, i think it would be a better investment into somethingn more reliable.
    MoK on your hero is silly. Give the unit he goes in the frenzy banner and not only do they BOTH get frenzy for less points, but they will never lose it. I also wouldn't bother with shields on the guys who are getting frenzied, as it's only +1as vs shooting.
    Sword of might is kinda silly when you can take a Halberd for way less points.

Ways to spend the remaining points: a lord level caster would really help your magic Defence/offence out. I find Shadows very well rounded and usefull. Big units of knights don't kill other big units anymore, but a small unit of 5 or 6 can mop up almost all other small support units, don't count them out!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x3)

I agree with Talismanictattoo, Drop the MoK on the Hero, and give the Banner of Rage to the unit he is in.

I would definitely add a Chariot (or two), they are awesome for stuff you do not want to fight with your Warriors (namely Sword Masters).

A lvl4 Shadows mage with the Puppet and Charmed Shield is one hell of a good backbone.
    Great spells, adds +4 to the dispel rolls, can hold his own in combat.
    Maybe drop the Death one for this bloke, because I think you might be tight on the Hero cap of 500 points.

If you drop the Death Mage, I would give the Sword of Might Hero the Enchanted Shield, for a 2+ armor. Or the Dragon Helm.
    I normally give the Talisman of Preservation to my General (the lvl4), and I give the Talisman of Endurance with the Armor of Zrakk to my Tzeentch BSB with a Halberd (4+ and 4++ with immunity to poison and KB @ 4 str6 attacks).

I say add more Tzeentch Marauders, and drop the L.armor, it's useless and more Marauders are better.

Those 10 man Slaaneshii Marauders have great potential in certain scenarios (especially the break point one), but you need to change them a bit for them to get their full potential.
    Flails, MoS, Musician and a Banner.
    Keep them at the back of your army, use them as deployment delay.
    The only enemies that can get to them are fast nimble small units. But in a one on one vs those small units, the Marauders rock with their Flails and I4.

General tips:
    If you know you are going to place a Character in a particular unit, make room for him by dropping one model, this also frees up points.
    If you put a Caster in a unit, you might want to invest in a Champion to take the challenges.
    The Rapturous Standard is THE BOMB! read it, and make your opponents weep.
    My WoC assembly/paint log! check it out. UPDATED 03-11-'11!
    Check out my guide on how to make Treekin.
    Please feel free to correct my spelling.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

I'd second the idea about the hellcannon. If you haven't got one - is there any chance your opponent(s) will allow you to proxy?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely ship in Charmed Shield and Dragon Helm onto your heroes in some combination, for extra armour and neat special abilities. Consider Collar of Khorne too, remember magic resistance applies to the whole unit so it's good extra protection for your hero's bunker - especially vs. Lore of Metal spells!

If you're allowed special characters then consider Festus. He gives his unit regeneration 5+ and poisoned attacks.
    If you're allowed Forge World characters then consider Sayl the Faithless as your general. He's a lv 3 Shadow wizard, but knows 4 spells. He has good protection, better combat stats than a normal sorcerer and leadership 9 which is a massive boon if he's your general.

Beef up the marauders and drop the light armour and shield. The armour save will do them no favours at all, but extra bodies will give them longevity and guarantee reaching the enemy with plenty of ranks left. I usually run mine between 35 and 50 strong with MoK and great weapons. MoT is a bit of a waste on them. Remember: these units are cheap and expendible, why waste points in protecting them when you can spend those same points making them more durable by adding numbers?

Having hounds and marauder horsemen available to delay deployment is a valid tactic, but looking at your list you don't then have anything threatening. You're afraid to show your hand early, and rightly so because at the moment your hand consists of only one unit of Warriors!

Chosen + favour is a great option
    Trolls are excellent too, but need baby sitting near the general and BSB

I prefer MoK on my horsemen as it does the same job as MoS but also doubles their combat prowess. However it does mean you can't flee which means you can't utilise the fast cav ability to flee/reform and draw enemy units out of position. Also if you MoK it's expensive on small units, so I prefer a unit of about 12-15. Large enough to hit VERY hard (with flails) but small enough to still be maneuverable (fast cav can reform for free, which also means you don't really need a musician).

I would definitely consider a Hellcannon if you can source one. But only fire it in an emergency! It's much better to run as just a cheap monster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks very much for the advice.

Special characters are out of the question. Its unwritten rule at my club not to use them.

The hellcannon is deff out of the question you can proxy equipment (e.g give halberds to a unit that is armed with hand weapon and sheild) but not minatures.

I'm really not a fan of knights and they don't suit my playstyle. I have added a second warhshrine and dropped the sword of might and the second caster. I'm unsure whether to go for a sourcer lord because they are such high points value.

Ive decided to go for the beefed up maurder unit for 40 with great weapons MOK full command (do you run these in horde formations).

Going to go with a unit of chosen with halberds, banner of rage, favour of god champion, full command and double warshrines.

In the campaign I belive there are:
    1 O & G Player
    1 Vampire Counts
    1 Orge Kingdoms
    1 Dwarf Player
    2 Empire Players
    1 Other WOC player who runs an all Khorne Army

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast