Chosen, Knights, and Warriors o my - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chosen, Knights, and Warriors o my

how do i equip my knights or chosen?
    new to chaos warriors and im struggling with how many to field, how to equip them, and how to rank them

at my disposal is 10 chosen, and 12 knights

i plan on playing between 1500-2500 point games

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x3)

A common way you will see the chosen run is ....

18xChosen-Halberds+Shields
    -Banner of Rage
    -FC
    -Favor of the gods
    -MoT

This is a shot at the warshrine super chosen unit.

Knights are usually a unit of five but that depends on who you ask. Otherwise there are lots of options.
    Last edited by Blackheart; July 3rd, 2011 at 13:34.
    I will drink your milk shake! I will drink it up!
    I just bought my wife a mini-van, the gods of Chaos have nothing on reality.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Blackheart- you mean the 3+/3++ Chosen combo? Because that looks like this:

Chosen w/ MoT, Halberds, Shields (optional), FC, Wailing Banner, Favor
    -- take a look at THIS (Manipulating the Eye of the Gods - Bad Etiquette?) thread to see how it works, and decide if you'd be interested.

Chosen w/ MoK, Add HWs, FC, Razor Standard, Favor
    -- Adding Festus to this block is terrifying. When you're putting out 4 attacks on the front rank, you want to be using this as a Horde-buster. Definitely a legal setup on plain Warriors (without Favor, and better because you can run more models). A bunch of attacks will make the most out of Festus's Poison, and Razor Banner makes sure that LA/S models still don't get their save. Believe it or not, these guys work better than MoK Halberds.

Personally however, I find Chosen to be altogether too expensive for the minor pre-game boost and extra point of WS. I usually just field Warriors, although I spent a year or two working with Chosen to try getting what I want.

Outfitting Knights is roughly the same boat. A lot of people either go for MoK and leave them naked (no command, maybe a S, MoN, or MoT. The difference between MoN and MoT is about 10% fewer wounds against shooting when using MoN, but it only works against BS-based shooting and WS3 or WS6. For the extra points cost, and limited effectiveness, you're better off running Tzeentch. If people bother to give these guys a magic banner, it's usually a Blasted Standard for the 5++ (4++ with MoT) against attacks made in the shooting phase. I've also run mine with the Banner of Flame and used them as Monster Hunters, since people don't get STOMP! attacks against Cavalry. Never pay to put lances on these guys.

As for unit sizing- a lot of people will run 5/6 Knights, a few crazies around here will run 10/12. It depends on what people are trying to get out of them. If you want a fast moving regiment of Warriors, you'll see the larger block. Otherwise you're looking at Flanking regiments or some kind of hunters.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, Thanks a ton for the advice guys. I think im gonna try out the festus and mok HW chaos warriors, with razor
    ill probabbly be picking up another 2-3 boxes of warriors giving me a total of 5 boxes t play with
    )
    i had run a smaller block of chosen the other day in a 1500 point each game (2v2 so 3k per side) and my opponent ran like 20+ grave guard with GW and regen,
    they destroyed my 10 chosen and his ghouls beat my 30 flail marauders (which im gonna up to 50 i think and use GWs)

how many would be a good "kill whatever it touches unit" of Mok warriors with festus?

also i was considering running an exalted on a jugger with halberd,enchanted shield,dawnstone with 5 knights, how effective would that be?
    Last edited by aberson126; July 3rd, 2011 at 20:34.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    115 (x3)

also i was considering running an exalted on a jugger with halberd,enchanted shield,dawnstone with 5 knights, how effective would that be?
    The problem with him is that he doesn't get LOS. I have the same problem with my fluffy daemonic mount lord, someone had suggested to me run him with drogres. In the end a lord on a juggy is alot of points with a huge target on it.
    I will drink your milk shake! I will drink it up!
    I just bought my wife a mini-van, the gods of Chaos have nothing on reality.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

if u take warriors then it depends on the mark:
    if u run tzeentch then give them shields only for a 3+/5+ with the blastard standard
    the problem with this setup is that it requires a large unit to really work

if u take khorne or slaanesh then give them halberd, shields and razor banner or no magic banner at all
    the problem with this setup is that frenzied units tend to get baited alot with warhounds etc and i wld never run khorne against a good player as he will just destoy you
    slaanesh is good for 10points/unit but with the bsb its taken a bit of a knock

if u run nurgle then give then halberds and banner of rage/razor banner
    problem with this is that nurgle is either a hit or a miss.
    if u play empire, wood elves or especially ogers then nurgle is awsome however if u play warriors or possible beastmen then its a waste of points

if u run chosen then give them the terror banner as for an extra 3points/model u really need the increase in stats
    problem with this is that its so cheesy that it might get on ur opponents nerves
    i wld give these guys mark of tzeentch and shields and if u get the 3+ ward ask ur opponent if he will let u change it to either +1 toughness or strength and im sure he will let you

and finally knights
    knights in general are a hit or miss but there are generally 2 way of running them
    1 is in a large unit of 9 and with a lord or exulted hero and the rangers banner
    the other is 2 small units of 5 with no upgrades (maybe khorne or nurgle)

the problem with knights is that against high strength attacks they tend to drop like flies and nearly every army has something to deal with knights with ease due to so many thinks now that have either high strength attacks or things that ignore armour saves

the large unit of knights is used to run at the biggest unit of saurus warriors or ungors or any other large unit with low strength (4 or less) and just pin them there for the rest of the game as you will lose some but it will take ages to do so
    the small units are used to run of the flanks and go for flank charges or take out war machines etc

with the knights and chosen i wldnt bother with musicains and i only take champions in the knights and warriors if u take a warshrine as other wise they are pointless

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok

17 Warriors w/HWx2 MoK,FC,razor standard Festus (6x3)

16 warriors w/HW shields MoT Full Command (4x4)

are these good setups?
    should i switch the festus warriors to halberds?

also hellcannons
    around my local ship everyone says they are crap and dont take them, but on here everyone seems to like them

my local store has mostly TK, Skaven, Vamps, Warriors like 3-4 other then me, a few lizard men, and Brits

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

dont use champions in your warrior unit. save the point and just buy another regular warrior for the points, other than that, the 2 units looks good.
    Hellcannons ARE awesome!
    try to bring one in your local store, and dont fire with it, and just charge it forward! remember it's toughness 6, unbreakable and have thunderstomp!
    also, it follows the rules for monsters and handlers, which mean that every time you take an unsaved wound on your hellcannon, roll a d6 on a roll of 1-4 the hellcannon takes the wound, on a roll of 5-6 you remove 1 of the crew instead. Even without crew, you can still shoot or wreck havoc in close combat with it
    Quote Lord Borak
    Now now lads. This is a forum about grown men playing with toy soldiers. Lets be adults please.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    65 (x1)

<--

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

4 models wide isn't a rank bonus anymore, if you run 16, either bump it to 18 models and go for a 6x3 setup, or drop it to 5x3 and go for a 15 man setup. You don't really need four ranks, and having more than 3 is a serious waste of points (those guys in the back two are just picking their noses most games).

Keep your Champs if you're not adverse to cheese, and have characters in the unit- especially in Festus's regiment. You have to issue a challenge in each round if you have an EotG affected character (all of them). So you may as well have a champion to take the bullet in at least the first round should you find yourself up against a character-killer.

Halberds are better on Festus if you plan on going up against S4. Otherwise, no, you're better off going with AddHWs, just for the extra attacks. 1/6 of your Poisoned attacks won't need to roll to wound, which is better than having a 1/6 better chance at wounding with all of your attacks. Honestly, tons of Poison will do you better against monsters (Halberds will need 6's to wound them too) and better against Hordes.

The reason that people hate Hellcannons at your store, is probably because they're too busy looking at the shooting attack and not realizing that it's an Unbreakable Monster-and-Handler combo with a 4+ save and Thunderstomp. Seriously- get the **** thing into combat, and it's a butcher. Get it into combat with something you can't otherwise handle, and it's one nasty tar pit.

Also, as for your JuggerLord with Knights- no thank you good sir. That Jugg costs you 10pts more than a Knight, for roughly the same statline (2S5A). Sure the Jugger gets a stomp, but is a S5 Stomp worth 10pts more than a S4 steed attack? Not really. And a good wardsave is far better than any Magic Resistance these days, so you may as well just stick to a regular Horse lord. He'll even get a LoS! roll that way.

Otherwise, the other guys have given great advice as well.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast