WoC 2500 + SoM 625 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WoC 2500 + SoM 625

So I've got a SoM game tonight vs VC. Here's my list I've made. I am limited by my monster models so they are pretty standard chaos beasties. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Warriors of Chaos - 2500 pts

Sorcerer Lord - Lvl 3, MoT, Charmed Shield, Infernal Puppet

Sorcerer Lord - Lvl 3, MoT, Black Tongue

Sorcerer - Lvl 2, Death, Dispel Scroll, Chaos Stead (Gets round with the Knights)

Exalted - BSB, MoT, Shield, Collar of Khorne (Gets round with the Chosen)

20 Warriors - HW, Shields, FC, MoT, Lichebone Pennant

15 Warriors - AHW, FC, MoN, Banner of Rage

17 Chosen - Halberds, Shields, Champion, Favour of the Gods

7 Knights - MoK

Warshrine - MoT

Storm of Magic - 625pts

Chaos Dragon

Dragon Ogre Shaggoth

5 War lions (played by chaos warhounds)

General battle plan is to keep the sorceror lords on their fulcrums for a 2+ ward save. Deploy the fulcrums as far forward as possible and get the majority of the army within their 6" deployment zone.

The Tzeentch warriors and chosen go in face first with the faster elements do the good ole flanking attacks. My oponent loves his horde of ghouls. The dragon will hit them from the side and use his breath attacks to do as much damage while the Tzeentch warriors hopefully hold them off.

Both sorcerer lords will have flickering fire to fry the usual Vargulf that my opponents likes to deploy. Plus the combo of black tongue and puppet is always fun.

If I manage to wipe out an enemy wizard from a fulcrum then the lvl 2 sorcerer will jump on it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before I comment, I think this is supposed to go in the Army Lists sub-forum, but I'm sure as soon as a moderator sees it he'll move it there for you.

That said, with the caveat that I'm not that familiar with SoM strategy, the list looks solid. I have a preference for using some Marauders to bulk out my force a bit, and while the Ward save is invaluable I'm not a huge fan of Lore of Tzeentch, but it looks like a robust force that should hold up well with VC.

4. Thanksbenzy311 thanked for this post.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it turns out that Warriors of Chaos rock when it comes to the new Storm of Magic expansion.

from memory my opponents VC army consisted of:

Vampire lord in big unit of grave guard with wight king BSB
    Vampire in unit of knights
    2 necromancers
    Big unit of ghouls
    2 big units of skeletons with spears
    corpse cart
    black coach
    vargulf
    hydra
    chimera
    wyvern

Game started with me placing my fulcrums as far forward as possible then deploying within about 10 inches of his main blocks of skeletons. I luckily got first turn. Killed the necromancer on the corpse cart with one of the tzeentch cataclysm spells and left the cart with 1 wound. Boosted my chosen with the warshrine, giving them an extra attack. Charged my knights into his chimera and my chosen into the skeletons. Wiped out both and only lost 1 chosen due to poor dice rolling. Not much happen in the VC turn, he moved some units up for flanking attacks, thats about it.

Next I charged the Nurgle rage warriors & lions into another block of skeletons and the tzeentch warriors into the grave guard. Dragon landed behind the ghouls and breath on them, killing a big chunk of the unit. Shaggoth charged his hydra. Chosen and BSB charge a fulcrum and knights move round behind the grave gurad to charge them in the rear. Magic had me destroy his vargulf with another tzeentch cataclysm spell and create an exalted in the tzeentch unit vs the grave guard. Combat was mostly all standoffs. vampire lord rolled poorly vs the new exalted and we managed a few kills each. Hydra and shaggoth caused a few wounds on each other. My BSB took a wound from his necromancer on a fulcrum. Nurgle warriors overrun into the other necromancer on the fulcrum. Lions go into the black coach. Vampire turn, corpse cart charges the chosen wyvern into one of my sorcerer lords on a fulcrum, knights and vampire into the other sorcerer lord on his. Ghouls charge the tzeentch warriors in combat with the grave guard. Magic is poor for VC again. Lord manages to summons back some grave guard on a IF. Puppet enters play and cause him to lose 2 levels. No more summoning by the lord. Combat saw the corpse cart destroyed by the chosen, the lions destroyed by the black coach, my sorcerer lords taking little to no damage on their fulcrums. The tzeentch warriors fought to a stand still against the grave guard and ghouls again thanks to some poor VC dice rolls and lucky saving rolls for me. Shaggoth kills hydra.

Following turn saw the VC all but destroyed. Warshrine and dragon charged ghouls, knights and shaggoth charged grave guard in flanks. Magic saw the wyvern unbinded and destroyed with IF. Following which all wizards turned into frogs! Combat saw the ghouls and grave guard massacred into dust. At which point the VC threw in the towel.

All the VC player had left on the table by the end of the game was a vampire (who was a frog) and unit of knights, black coach and a necromancer/frog on a fulcrum.

Total losses for Warriors of Chaos. 1 chosen, 10 warriors.

Thoughts on SoM. Warriors of Chaos are going to be one tought army in this expansion. 2+ ward save on the Tzeentch Sorcerers on fulcrums let them go toe to toe with vampires and wyverns happily. Infernal puppet is a must take as miscasts are pretty common with all the dice being thrown about. The black tounge didnt see any use but it did cause my opponent to roll lots of dice when casting. So that was win-win for me.

Ultimately my opponent was let down by abysmal rolling and high armour saves on my behalf. But I think a warrior filled army with big monsters and lots of spell casters can bring lots of pain in SoM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I would have taken the rage banner on the knights and mounted the BSB - EVERYTHING in the unit gets rage, including horses and characters. ~32 attacks from 6 models. And yeah, chaos are awesomesauce in SOM. But I would have taken the third eye for their spells/cataclysms. They have 1 that halves the str of pretty much all enemy units .
    “The ultimate philosophical question, “Am I human or machine” is answered by many people, “I don’t care, as long as I am”
    - Myron Krueger

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

I'd double check that Rage thing, MightisRight. I'm not saying that you're wrong, I honestly don't know how the ruling works. I've always assumed that Frenzy never translates to mounts.

Some notes that I've found on SoM-
    --A lot of the monsters aren't particularly scary, especially when compared to stuff like an Exalted or Lord running amok with Potion of Strength or a Sword of +S.
    --Most of the magic items included are the book are quite iffy, although we can definitely plan on having Equilibrium all game against just about everyone but those nuts who create their own Fulcrums (Elves?)
    --Sort of going along with the monsters from SoM not being terrifying, I will say that our character-monsters are downright evil. Especially Kholek. My first SoM game saw this dude kneecap a BoneGrinder Giant in a single round of combat- 7 S8 attacks dealing D3 wounds each? He hits almost everyone on 3's or 4's, wounds just about everyone on 2's or 3's, completely ignores armor, and then proceeds to multiply those wounds out to D3. He's plain disgusting, especially if you can Lore of Light him up to a higher initiative so that he kills them before they hit him.
    --Speaking of Lore of Light: since we don't have any reason to take a Monster from the SoM books, why not spend all those points on things we don't have? Like Truthsayers with Regrowth or Speed of Light. Nothing breaks the enemy's heart like seeing those 5 knights he just worked so hard to kill come back from the dead in a single turn, or seeing that horde of Warriors suddenly pick up ASF on top of their hideous number of attacks.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    65 (x1)

I've also thought about this frenzy on the mount thing, so i decided to take my rules lawyer skills and put them to the test.

It is my professional opinion (as a rules lawyer!) that the horses would benefit from the frenzy gained by the banner of rage. This is my reasoning;

The Banner of rage states: "the unit with this banner has the frenzy special rule..." [WoCpg115]
    the BRB states: "If either the rider or a the mount have Frenzy, then the whole model is subject to the Berserk Rage, but only the element with the Frenzy rule gains an Extra attack." [BRBpg82]

therefor, since the mount and the rider are part of the unit, they would both gain the frenzy rule from the banner and hence both get an extra attack.

This got me thinking, because the mark of khorne for the knight entry int he book says it gives the model the frenzy rule, not the Rider, so by the same logic you could argue that giving a knight the mark of khorne frenzys both himself and his mount.

I couldnt find anything in an FaQ about it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how do you get lore of light?

and i think it's just logic that a mount get frenzy to if they get it from the banner
    same as if you have a ASF banner (DE) in a unit of knights, the horses/cold ones get ASF to

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

How do you get chaos lore of light? Truthsayers have beasts and life.
    “The ultimate philosophical question, “Am I human or machine” is answered by many people, “I don’t care, as long as I am”
    - Myron Krueger

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Oh and on that topic, give kholek the beasts augment that gives a char +3 strength and attacks . 10 s10 attacks which do d3 wounds. Or if your jjust want obscene amounts of overkill, the dawnstar sword so if you have dominance you get 16 (10?)X2d6 wounds. Pure evil.
    - Myron Krueger

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can you give named characters a mystical artifact?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast