Fighting amongst ourselves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

Fighting amongst ourselves

I must say, I really enjoy hanging arround these WoC forums, because they're filled with neat tactics, builds, ideas and other fun stuff.

If you scroll down enough you'll generally find advice on how to beat any opponent in the warhammer fantasy universe... But the other day I noticed something missing..
    We dont have a tactic against ourselves?

What do you do, if you're facing another WoC-player? Well easily enough, most people would just answer, "you've got to play better than him" or "outmanouvre him", but if you know that if your brought exactly the same stuff, he would most likely win, then what?

What do we need to do when fighting amongst ourselves?

- Tash

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A very, very good question. Mostly it depends on what build is being used. Certain things in general are probably good though. Warshrines to hold off small, elite units of warriors. Hellcannons to tarpit hordes. Extremely combat-oriented characters, as whenever they encounter any character there WILL be a challenge. Possibly lore of shadows to reduce our awesome statline. Probably an item to force ward save rerolls against those ridiculous 3 ups

Lol, infernal puppet vs infernal puppet
    “The ultimate philosophical question, “Am I human or machine” is answered by many people, “I don’t care, as long as I am”
    - Myron Krueger

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Well it really depends on what you're up against. Some tactics work well against some armies and some don't work against others, and by 'armies' I mean what's in them. It's very rare you'll see two chaos armies that look the same and compiling tactics as a 'how to beat this army' won't really work. You could face a 'shooty' chaos army, a combat army, a Cavalry army, a Horde army, a Monster army or a full plate army. This unpredictable nature of Chaos armies is really hard to develop reliable tactics against. I know that's not really helping but......well......

I've had people ask me for a game and when they hear I play chaos they'll tailor a list against me and take lots of high strength armour ignoring weapons. Shame on them really because I do a marauder horde. If you tailor against this sort of army then maybe, if the whim takes me, I'll field a full plate army. How about the Troll army? Stick that up yourself Lore of Metal. Maybe a list that compromises all of those units?

Anyway, the one thing that has always worked well for me against other chaos players, and I mean really stood out, has been shadow magic. Just lowering one stat like WS or initiative REALLY swings combats from bloody draws to complete slaughters.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

The Lore of Shadow hexes are superb for that match-up I've found, if you can lower their stats even just slightly you will have the edge that you need to slaughter them.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Typically I've found that thanks to the wide variety of playstyles available to competent WoC generals, it's going to come down to what's in your list, and what's in his list, and who counters more of these units. Two examples I've had in the past:

1. Playing in a tournament (possibly in 7th), I faced another WoC player. He had a few things that I typically avoid, namely, 2x Chariots, a Disc Lord and Disc BSB, 3x regiments of Hounds, and a fat block of Chosen. I, on the other hand, kept my characters to a minimum, had a block of 9 knights with a Lord on board, and several blocks of Warriors because listen: Chosen suck. In that game, I used my magic to take care of his lonely Disc characters, my Knights out-charged his Chariots and went right through them, and his small Warrior blocks couldn't meet up to mine. The only thing that threw me off was his block of Chosen, simply because it was the only "crunchy" unit he had on the field. I eventually brought it to battle and caught it's flank, tearing it up and leaving him with 5 hounds on the board, who did NOTHING. In other games during the tournament, he did a great job, actually wound up coming in 3rd.

2. Against a more frequent guy at my shop, I played a regular game, his tournament list versus mine, because in a 2.5k tournament I came in 2nd but never got to play him (he came in 1st, we ran swiss style). I wanted to see how things would have ended. He runs two beefy units, a Knight Bus, 50 Marauders, and a Giant. I run my usual 3 units of 15-18, Wulfrik+29 marauders, Sorc Lord, BSB, Festus, Helcannon, 5 Knights army. I got crushed. Mostly because I had nothing that could really deal with his 10 Knights, so it turned into a magical duel over me casting at his knight, and him dispelling. He blasted through one of my Warrior blocks with them, I caught them in the flank with my Knights, and we held there for the rest of the game. Now I was at 2 smaller Warrior units against 2 larger Warrior units, and obviously attrition ground me down. I was unsing my Hellcannon to guard my flank and he charged it with his Giant, which as you know is great at dealing with other monsters, so that was a bust and the giant got into the flank of my Warriors. My Marauders showed up, broke a regiment of his Warriors, freed up one of mine, and then the game ended with him winning by a pretty wide margin.

Basically, there are no specific tactics for taking out Warriors without tailoring your army. But if you tailor your army, they should be able to tailor theirs, putting everyone right back at square one. Just ask- "what do I fear most?" and then try to find those things in our armybook. Shadows is good, Metal is obviously great (can we even take metal), our big mostrous beasties do well considering the trouble we have with dealing with High-toughness foes, most of our Lores are about worthless, Festus's Poison is worth it's weight in gold, you have no need for things like the Blasted Banner or shields on your Halberd units, but Halberds are good, especially with the Razor Banner.

Last time I was at my local, the manager said that there was another person looking for a game. We found out that we'd both brought out Warriors, so as a joke we agreed to a 2500pt game, set up terrain and rolled our spells, determined a scenario, deployed our armies and got ready for the game. Then we each upended our dice boxes (32-dice) and started counting how many 4+s we rolled. I won the game.
    Last edited by CaptainSarathai; August 15th, 2011 at 19:44.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

DAemon princes can take metal. It may even give them a use.
    “The ultimate philosophical question, “Am I human or machine” is answered by many people, “I don’t care, as long as I am”
    - Myron Krueger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by MightisRight
    DAemon princes can take metal. It may even give them a use.
    No, they cannot. They have the same options as the sorclord. Would have been awesome though..
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My mistake. Don't know why I would think that.
    - Myron Krueger

+ Reply to Thread