SoM Daemon Prince Builds - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

SoM Daemon Prince Builds

Daemon princes seem like they would usually serve as a great general in a SoM game. A caster, monster and general all in one. But what builds would work in that capacity. I was thinking MoT, level 1 magic annd the distendable maw for fulcrum hunting with a shadows book exalted

“The ultimate philosophical question, “Am I human or machine” is answered by many people, “I don’t care, as long as I am”
    - Myron Krueger

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x2)

The DP would be a pretty nasty character to bring and rain down cataclysm spells if he had the tendrils of tzeech to help make those insanse casting costs. Unfortunatly this guy gets pretty costly when you add in the levels for being a wizard, with mark and everything he can approach 500pts! at that level I'd rather take a special character with special rules.
    Tho, the monster stats and the fact he is a flyer makes for some potential for killing off other mages other fulcrums, tho I'm not sure how that all works (if he is able to charge ect). distendable maw would help avoid the ward-saves too (if i am not mistaken)

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

DPs definitely rock out in SoM, but it's tough. You're paying for a monster, and not a particularly impressive one at that. At least 1 level of magic, and MoT is a must, so that you can hold onto that Fulcrum once you've taken it. Don't worry about Casting, that's not your job. It sounds weird, but honestly, you don't want to sink magic levels into this guy at 5pts more than a level on a wizard, especially because if you can afford it, you want a Sorc Lord standing behind him with Shadows and some anti-magic. The DP is going to either decimate the enemy, or completely crash and burn, so don't sink any more points in than you have to.
    Typically I like Stream of Corruption and Maw, along with L1 and MoT on mine. Why? Because when you hit that fulcrum and crank out 2D6 S3 and D6 S5 autohits on that poor mage, he usually keels over. If that fails, eat him. Then you've got a Monster standing on a Fulcrum rocking a 2+ wardsave- he's hard to move.

The problem is validating him. I can get the same effect by taking a Chaos Lord on a disc, giving him the Book of Secrets to make him a caster (just don't throw spells, for god's sake, don't throw spells) still give him the Maw, and then load him up with some really nice magical items, for about the same price as a Daemon Prince. The biggest advantage to both methods is that you're immune to ThunderStomp from the ubiquitous enemy monsters.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm thinking of rather than a WoC DP taking a daemons one as a sorcerous pact. I still have some horrors lying around, so they can be the core choice. I'm not certain, but is there an upgrade where they can take BRB lores? 2+ ward save chaos knight block
    “The ultimate philosophical question, “Am I human or machine” is answered by many people, “I don’t care, as long as I am”
    - Myron Krueger

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x1)

A properly built Changer of Ways would be super handy. Will of Tzeentch + Dark Magister (Or Master of Sorcery) would be awesome.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And what do those do?
    - Myron Krueger

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x2)

You got to have fury of the blood god, for starters, so he can fly round in safety with a 2+ wardsave against any spells. Then pick whatever lore you like, you dont really need him as a level 4 because you are going to be getting three cantrips, a spell from his chosen lore, and then some cataclysm spells to boot. I especially like the lore of heavens spells in storm of magic - let the four winds blow can be a gamewinner in storm of magic, since you could just blow people off fulcrums or push their big bad units right out of the way + fantastic foresight is, as the name suggests, a fantastic spell.

Alternatively, you could give him lore of fire and fly around sniping guys off fulcrums with fireball barrage - even with a 2+ wardsave most wizards do not get out of that spell alive.

But, like it has been said already, a level 1 fire mage on a steed with MR(1) is going to cost you 116 points and on a fulcrum is incredibly durable with his 2+/2+ save and will cost a quarter of the deamon princes points.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

DoC Daemon Princes are nowhere near as good as the WoC versions. Although the Greater Daemons are very good. If I recall, 'Will of Tzeentch' gives that CoW an extra dice for each cast, and 'Master of Sorcery' makes him a Loremaster (knows all 7 spells of his lore).

Fury is ok, but a lot of the scariest spells are the ones that aren't going to explicitly wound you. I used to think that Fury was awesome, until my opponents turned my DP into a giant gold statue, then into a bunch of rats, then sucked him right off the table. I do agree with the Sorcerer on a steed, but I think I was the one who suggested him in the first place. Oh well.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So why exactly is a WoC DP better? All I can see is wings, different lores (minus cataclysms) and much less customisability. And anyway, daemons can take all BRB lores w/ loremaster
    Last edited by MightisRight; August 28th, 2011 at 15:54.
    - Myron Krueger

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

1480 (x8)

I don't know that it's necessarily better when compared directly against the DoC version, but I have a friend who plays Daemons and swears that the DoC version is probably the worst Lord Choice in their book, simply because you can go one step further and pick up a Great Daemon. I'm not sure what sort of options the DoC version actually has access to, because I rarely ever see them on the table - not sure if the DoC versions can pick up GD goodies, and if so, which ones. I do know that he says they seem a lot harder to protect than the WoC versions, and he claims that the WoC is better on a point-for-point basis.

Furthermore, if you're thinking of taking a DoC DP in SoM games, he can't be your general because he's taken as part of the 25% SoM allowance, and Daemons can end up phasing out during the game. And why would you spend the allowance on a DoC DP when you could grab a WoC DP in your initial army, or a GD from your alliance?

Personally, I wouldn't take either of them, even in SoM, because they both represent a huge point sink, when you could just take a Sorc Lord or a Chaos Lord with a BoS. I don't know though - the few games of SoM that I've played have been highly competitive affairs (although the book is clearly not written with such playstyles in mind) and I've heard that a lot of players are taking a more "fun/fluffy" approach to building their forces. So it might end up working for you anyways.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast