GW Marauders? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GW Marauders?

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

GW Marauders?

The description of the box says it comes with hand weapons or flails...does that mean you have to undertake mass conversion if you want great weapons? I can't see myself converting ~100 marauders thusly....

I guess if I use the flail arms and just replace the flaily bit with a blade or hammer head? I guess I could manage that simple a conversion on an industrial scale...I have tons of spare halberd heads from my empire army, and could probably manage a reasonable scythe from the blade of the scimitar-like TK hand weapon...I guess maybe this isn't so problematic after all...

Last edited by Marnepup; September 7th, 2011 at 06:39.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Ya, the most common conversion is to just chop the head from the Hand Weapon and put on the flail arms, but putting more and different weapon options in there would definitely help to break up the monotony. I just modeled mine with Flails because I made Bronze the dominant color of my army and those Flails provided me a way to get a lot of that paint on there. I just tell my opponent that they have Great Weapons, and I am yet to have someone complain about it.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

I agree that "those flails are actually great weapons" should fly anywhere except in a hypercompetitive tournament...but I do like my own models to by WYSIWYG, even if I don't demand that of my opponent. I hadn't considered the included hand weapon heads as options for the great weapon heads, that definitely gives me more options, thanks!!! I'm also horrified by many of the helmetless marauder heads, so there will be a lot of state troops heads in my ranks, if the scale isn't off (something for which GW is notorious in other areas, so it wouldn't surprise me)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x1)

Considering the "ball and chain" were a rare variety of the flail historically, and considering there's no definition given of great weapons, beyond "it's huge and takes two hands to operate", I really can't see anyone complaining about the marauder-kit weapons being declared GW.
    The Silver Knights of Tor Adrac (He): 26/2/4
    The Spears of Slaanesh (Woc): 7/2/5
    Battlegroup Chalybso (GK): 7/3/3

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

First post for a long while but here we go.......

Personally I mix my regiments up and no one has made any comments yet. If you have, say, half of the regiment as flails and half as great weapons simply place a larger quantity of the weapons you want the unit equipped with at the front.

As a fluff sort of perspective I can't see a whole mob of angry northmen all wielding the same sort of weapons or being organised enough to form regiments of 'shield' units and 'great weapon' units. I see them all running madly towards the enemy carrying whatever weapon they can get their greasy, blood encrusted mits on.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

298 (x8)

Interesting perspective... In my mind, any servant of the dark powers scary enough to get that mob to follow him in the first place is going to be strict enough to force them into some semblance of discipline, if only so that he gets maximum value from their deaths. Only if they're a throwaway unit to distract/occupy the enemy would such an unruly mob as you describe be allowed...

I really like the idea about mixing your weapons so you can field them two ways by putting the "right" kind of weapon in the front ranks, though...
    Last edited by Marnepup; September 8th, 2011 at 19:53.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x1)

i have beastmen gors / ungors / chaos dwarfs all mixed in with my marauders and nobody has complained yet since i just say "this block of mixed up shit is 100 marauders with flails" or whatever i agree with lord borak so my guys are all mixed up some with hand weapons some with 2 hand weapons some with flails and some with great weapons and some with shields and hand weapons
    Kill them all and let the emperor sort them out.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Marnepup View Post
    Interesting perspective... In my mind, any servant of the dark powers scary enough to get that mob to follow him in the first place is going to be strict enough to force them into some semblance of discipline, if only so that he gets maximum value from their deaths. Only if they're a throwaway unit to distract/occupy the enemy would such an unruly mob as you describe be allowed...

I really like the idea about mixing your weapons so you can field them two ways by putting the "right" kind of weapon in the front ranks, though...
    Hmm, true I suppose. I think it probably depends on the Lord leading the army or your own perspective of how Northmen 'work' in the back ground. Personally I see them all as individual warriors with weapons of their own choosing, or with weapons passed down from generation to generation. Having said that though some tribes could completely favour one style of weapon. A Khorne tribe might all be armed with executioner style two handed axes. Nurgle might have a whole tribe armed with scythes........ I guess that's the awesome thing with chaos. If it sounds plausible it probably is.......... and if it isn't? Well, Magic did it.

On a completely random tangent but, somewhere (along time ago) I read a story of a whole tribe of northmen having bodies made out of stone (I guess they lived pretty far north) thus making them almost invulnerable. You could use these sorts of ideas/mutations for Warriors if you didn't like the idea of 'armoured' Warriors.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

298 (x8)

You're making a lot of sense, Borak...I guess I just imagine the lords not so much forcing their men to use an unfamiliar weapon, but more like mobbing them up with others who use like weapons...assuming there's as much of a reason to do so in the fluff as there is in real life, that is. As for a tribal preference for one weapon or another, I can see that being pretty common, too, I guess. And of course, as you say, it's chaos. Anything goes, anything can be justified and fluffified.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Marnepup View Post
    You're making a lot of sense, Borak....

If I had room to put that in my Sig I would.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast