Finally finished my tournament army. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Finally finished my tournament army.

Right, so I FINALLY finished painting my 2400 point tournament army. I'll admit it's not the best list at all, but with the limited time I have painting, and the tournament beeing the 1st and 2nd of october, it is what it is I started painting in january, so im quite pleased with the result. I would have loved to have 2 or 3 units of dogs aswell, but I simply dont have time to paint them before the tournament, I had to prioritize what to paint, and there's little point in redirecting units, if you haven't finished painting the stuff that'll actually kill stuff.
    (pictures further down)

Before we go over the list, there's a TON of tournament rules which, i'll sum up the important ones.
    max 2 identical chars, no special chars allowed.
    Lots of monsters have a 100pt discount (deamon princes aswell)
    Max 5 dice to cast and dispell! Wizards do NOT add their level to the casting results! (to encourage people bringing something else than the standard lvl 4 sorc)
    max 2 power/dispell dice can be generated from items/abilities pr. magicphase.
    infernal puppet banned.

The list:

Overview of the army 1
    Overview of the army 2

Daemon prince (100 point discount!)
    Mark of Tzeentch
    lvl 1

Daemon Prince pic 1
    Daemon Prince pic 2
    Daemon Prince pic 3
    --------------------------
    Chaos Lord
    Mark of tzeentch
    Disc
    Shield
    Talisman of preservation
    Helm of many eyes
    Glaive of putrefaction

Chaos Lord pic 1
    Chaos Lord pic 2
    Chaos Lord pic 3
    Exalted hero
    BSB
    Halberd
    Mark of Tzeentch
    Talisman of endurance
    Favour of the gods

Exalted BSB pic 1
    Exalted BSB pic 2
    Chaos Sorcerer
    lvl 2
    Spell familiar
    Armour of morrslieb
    Chaos Sorcerer

Chaos Sorcerer
    lvl 2
    Power familiar
    Ironcurse icon
    Gifts: Third eye of tzeentch
    Chaos Sorcerer 2

Core:
    18 chaos warriors
    Shields
    Halberds
    music
    standard
    Mark of Tzeentch
    Chaos warriors

-------------------------
    core:
    15 chaos warriors
    additional handweapon
    music
    standard
    mark of khorne
    Magic banner:
    Blasted Standard

Chaos warriors 2
    ---------------------------
    core
    40 marauders
    Great Weapons
    standard
    music
    mark of khorne

Marauders
    ------------------------
    (rare)
    Hellcannon

Hellcannon
    --------------------
    (rare)
    Warshrine
    Mark of tzeentch

Warshrine
    ---------------------
    Lords: 600
    Heroes: 529
    Core: 914
    Special:
    Rare: 355
    Total: 2398

there are 100 players particupating in the event, so gonna be exciting where I end up. (probly not in the top 20 )
    Anyway, sorry for the poor quality pics (took the pics at 3am, with poor lighting) but hope ya still enjoy them =)
    Thoughts and feedback is as always welcome

-Vanish out

Quote Lord Borak
    Now now lads. This is a forum about grown men playing with toy soldiers. Lets be adults please.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Even though I am jealous of someone having a fully painted army I must say it does looks rather awesome! Especially that Marauder horde. You went for the molten metal look on the Warriors? I've got a mate who's doing an army like that and it looks flippin' ace.

Rep for you Sir. EDIT: Apparently I need to spread some rep.. I'll have to owe you.

No puppet makes Khorne Cry.....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Ya, I hated the look of the "plain" warriors with the standard red color on the plate parts, or the boltgun metal plate, so decided I would go with the "molten metal" theme. Quite pleased with the result considering I've only been painting minatures since january this year
    The Daemon prince was a REAL pain tho. I assmebled the 40k model with wings, and spend hours and hours grinding away tubes and pipes, repairing it/converting it with GS etc, making it look "fantasy like" and then getting it to fit into the "molten metal" theme...
    The BSB is probly the one I think turned out the best, very happy about that =)
    The disc, I blatantly stole the flames Idea from Krull with the dark edges on the flames.
    Quote Lord Borak
    Now now lads. This is a forum about grown men playing with toy soldiers. Lets be adults please.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
    Ya, I hated the look of the "plain" warriors with the standard red color on the plate parts, or the boltgun metal plate, .

Personal taste, I quite like the dark steel look If you've only been painting for 8 months then you put a lot of us to shame

The Prince still works well although I do prefer the Bel'akor model for Fantasy, or even the Necron Gods. Maybe it's the picture but I think the Yellow on the Prince could do with a little extra as it seems a little 'flat'. Maybe a highlight or a wash? Nice to see another Army though, put it in the 'show your painted model' thread

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

about the yellow on the daemon prince, I think it's a combination of the pic and it beeing alittle "flat" but I haven't had any success washing bright colors without making it look terrible, so im alittle hesitant doing that.. will try some more highlighting tho.
    Quote Lord Borak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Army looks really good great painting!
    I would just suggest replacing helm of many eyes with a potion of strength on the lord. As it is your highest str is 5 (this could make a sphinx a really big issue for you) and with no flaming banner anywhere abominations could be a real problem. With a potion of str the lord is (assuming he passes fear) hitting most monsters on 3s and wounding on 2s, even abominations are gonna be taking a wound in that round and when it's t2 it wont be around for much longer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by jamiep151 View Post
    Army looks really good great painting!
    I would just suggest replacing helm of many eyes with a potion of strength on the lord. As it is your highest str is 5 (this could make a sphinx a really big issue for you) and with no flaming banner anywhere abominations could be a real problem. With a potion of str the lord is (assuming he passes fear) hitting most monsters on 3s and wounding on 2s, even abominations are gonna be taking a wound in that round and when it's t2 it wont be around for much longer.
    I did consider exactly that, but the potion is kinda a one trick pony, and I always forget drinking it at the start of the round!!! (or fail my charge after i drink it >< )
    But with 5 ws8 re-rollable attacks there should still be a pretty good chance of rolling one 6 to wound tho.

assuming my math is not entirely broken against a sphinx it would looks something like this.

With potion:
    5 attacks hitting on 3's. average of 3½ hits (lets round down for simplicity and say 3 hits) 3 hits wounding on 4's (Str8 vs T8 ) = average of 1½ wound

With helm:
    5 attacks hitting on 3's again 3 hits, reroll the 2 and you end up with 4 hits on average. 4 hits wounding on 6's. (not sure on the math behind rolling 4 dice trying to get a single 6's ) but eh.
    Quote Lord Borak

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It may be a one trick pony but aside from uber cheesy 2 hydra or 2 abomination lists you only need it once. Also with the helm it unlikely to fail many ld 9 stupidity tests but you are likely to fail once per game if you lord survives whole game (and he really should as long as there are no stupid charges or a lucky canon shot). A failed stupidity test could easily lead to this guy being in a position where he is getting charged by a unit that will be able to kill him (3 ranks, banner and charge you need to wounds with everything to win combat). It is a nice item but if you forget the stupidity test once an opponent in a tourny they could kick up a real stink with a judge.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

verra, verra, nahhhs. I am scratching my head about one thing, list-hammer-wise, though...you took MoT on the halberd warriors...without an invul to bump, effectively just buying them a 6+. It's still worthwhile in a points spent per wound saved way of thinking, but wouldn't MoK have been better, all things considered?
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

I plan on putting the guy with the iron curse icon into that unit, giving them a 5++ against warmachines. I did plan on putting the blasted standard with them at first, but that would leave the add hw guy quite vulnerable aswell.
    instead I would have 2 units of chaos warriors. one with 3+ AS and a 6++ and 5++ against warmachines and the other unit with a 5++ against all shooting.

vs 1 unit with a 4++ against shooting and the 2nd unit with.. 6+´+ against warmachines. meh.
    Quote Lord Borak

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast