(named) characters in units - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(named) characters in units

hi,
    making some list at the moment, just for fun

but i always doubt whether to take festus of wulfrik (i like both) but don't fit in my 2k list, only one
    or to take a lvl 2 character with items which is cheaper...

and then, how do you chose in which character in which unit goes?
    i always put my BSB in 17 warriors MoT and shields unit

but like in the 2500 built i have 4 characters (lvl4, festus, a lvl 1 and BS and 4 units (warriors, MoT, sh BSB in here; warriors, banner of rage, XHW, festus in here ; marauders and knights but don't have a char on mount)
    but i normaly try not to put chars in marauder units (they die fast) or take 2 chars in 1 unit (in case they break or fail panic tests)

so

how do you field your characters, in what type of unit, you take more then 1 in a unit and why
    and do you prefer a named char or a normal one?

thx for any advise on this

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This might not be the best loadout for everyone, but I actually put Festus in a horde of warriors with halberds, with a Rage Banner, and a BSB with an enchanted shield and soporific musk... It was an absolute beast and scared the crap out of my opponent. For good reason of course, effectively that unit had 30 S5 poisoned attacks (against a 5 wide unit, 50 attacks if everyone gets in the fight), a 5+ regen, and if I could make them flee, the Soporific Musk makes them run as slowly as possible which means Festus' 1d6 pursuit roll actually overcame a unit and I got double victory points for it. The BSB could accept challenges instead of Festus, and the only thing I had to worry about was him being targeted in CC.

I figure you have two options when putting a char in a unit... build up your strengths, or tear down his defenses, this unit did both and it worked like a charm.. problem was, there was 700+ points in that one unit.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

i try to go as few characters as possible and both my bsb and level 2 are on disks so to have a few multi purpose roles i.e. chasing war machines, character killing (my bsb charged a vampire lord on zombie dragon killing both after 2 rounds of combat, suffering no wounds in return) and any other role i can find for them

however if u want to take festus then he is best in a unit of warriors with extra weapon with the flaming banner (this unit puts out 41 poisoned attacks with re-rolls to wound when assaulting building)

Wulfrik can be awesome but his trick or turning up behind the enemy i find to be rather useless unless u are playing 3k or higher games
    what u really want is for him to be forcing challenges on enemy wizards and so is probably best in a unit of warriors rather than marauders

as for other characters:
    vlitch and sigvald are rather useless
    archeon is still awesome

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Sigvald useless? How did you work that out? Considering you can't get a Chaos Lord any where near as Killy AND survivable (you can do one but not the other) as him he's pretty rock in my opinion. 7 attacks at WS8, str5, init8 and ASF is pretty nasty and all he really needs is +1str from a nearby shrine and he'll kill pretty much anything going. On top of that he gives our army LD10 and the unit he is with stubborn??

In my 3k Marauder list I have a Death star unit of Chosen. Led by a Chaos Lord and a BSB. Sure it's expensive (over 900pts) but it's how I 'see' an army set out. The Lord of the tribe(s) surrounded by his most trusted and accomplished warriors with the rest of the hoard following in his wake. The Sorcerers (Level 4 & 1) just get thrown anywhere where they'd be most effective. Either hiding in ruins or in a Marauder unit somewhere hiding from cannons.

In my 2k Warriors list I have a small unit of Chosen led by my Sorcerer Lord. He's kitted out for combat so is usually in the thick of the fighting giving the enemy 'what for'. The Level 1 just hides himself somewhere and tries not to loose his masters Puppet.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    203 (x5)

I use Festus in a block of 17 warriors with MoK/Halberds/Eternal-Flame/FC
    It is very nice against super-monsters.

Wulfric goes with 19 Marauders MoK/Flails/FC.
    Small enough not to lose the game with.

Throgg sits with his bodyguard of 5 Chaos Trolls.
    Best value for points unit for me.

Valkyia, though not used often, goes in a block of 14 Chosen [5x3] with MoT/Shields/Swiftness/FC/Book of Secrets.
    In combat, this unit is one of the deadliest.

“If you’re in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.” – Bob Paisley

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

We usually dont use special characters at all, as some of them are down right rediculas *cough* TECLIS *cough* but I am quite fond of both Kholek and Vlitch

only used Vlitch once, but he completly dominated the magic phase. Roll 5 or 6 dice for a spell and wait for your opponent to try using 5-6 dice to dispell and not beat your casting value?
    gratz you just got your spell off, AND got his 5-6 dispell dice to utilize as powerdice for additional spells
    Quote Lord Borak
    Now now lads. This is a forum about grown men playing with toy soldiers. Lets be adults please.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

I love our armybook so much... Just realised I've never used a named character before and even though I read the book fairly frequently I've never really paid much attention to how the named characters actually work (bar archaon, I want to use him one day)but yeah Vilitch is a beast. So is Sigvald. Makes me want to start using them...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

yea but isnt sigvald like 400+ points and he eats into your lord allowance

you can easily build a chaos lord that wld kick sigvald's ass

iv used vlitch a few times but i have never really found him that usefull

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Aye sigvald does cost a fair chunk so you're looking at a 3k game if you want a Sorcerer Lord as well.

You could probably build a chaos Lord to kill Sigvald, hell mine could, but he's no push over and he's still fairly hard to kill with a 1+ Sv and regenerate. I'm not saying he's the best character ever but he is good in combat, he is fairly killy AND he gives us LD10 and stubborn. You can't get all those things on a Chaos Lord.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love Festus and Throgg - they're both amazing value for points. Festus I usually put in a unit of CWs with MoK and either halberd or AHW. Throgg, obviously, goes with trolls.
    I've not had much success with Wulfrik - he's unreliable and you can't charge the turn he comes into play as he arrives in the remaining moves. This means that your opponent gets a turn to defend himself: reforming, blocking plays, magic, having wizards leave units to avoid being assassinated etc.
    They are the only named characters I have used from our main book, although I often use Sayl the Faithless (from the forthcoming Forgeworld book) as he's a shadow Wizard with Leadership 9, decent combat stats and a good save. I intend to try Sigvald next.

I think Vilitch could be the money in SoM games, but he's too expensive for a run-of-the mill game.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast