Things we DON'T use. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Things we DON'T use.

We all do and know why we use Warriors, Chosen, Marauders, Sorcerer Lords etc and we've covered the best Marks and wargear ten times over. So what about the units we don't, as a 'community', use? Why don't we use them? Is there any one that does?

For me I guess it's Forsaken. They're great flankers, they're pretty tough and can deal out a surprising amount of damage. Perfect for hunting down other flankers like squig hoppers and so forth. They're not as durable as knights but half the cost, they're not as fast as Horsemen but more durable and Immune to psychology (if with drawbacks) so they're kind of an in-between. I liken them to a poor-mans knight unit and seeing as I don;t have points spare for 2 units of 5 Knights Forsaken fit the bill for me.

So what about you guys? Are there units you just never consider using? Why? Do you feel like you're the only person who fields a certain unit? If so, why do you choose to field them and how do you equip them?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    203 (x5)

Units I use which no-one else likes:

Chaos Ogres - MoK - Great Weapons - Chaos Armor
    Usually they don't do that much and are seldom worth the points, but every few games they come up against some monster with T5-6, and that's when they really shine. But only if they survive, which isn't that often.
    I run them in a group of 3 along a flank, no banner or champion.

Chariots - MoK

Overpriced, slow, and often dying to cannons. The only good thing about them is the incredible range of the flank charge, which is really devastating if you can get it. But that isn't enough to beat steadfast, alas.
    They sit between two widely spaced blocks of warriors.

I would never use Dragon Ogre models, just because of the cost & the absurd aesthetics.
    Last edited by Antithesis; September 21st, 2011 at 08:48.

“If you’re in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.” – Bob Paisley

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

TBH I Don't like using marauders... I know everyone goes on about how they are great but I've only ever had them do good for me once and that was when a group of 24 MoT with a Lv2 sorc soaked up an entire turn of shooting from a dwarfen gunline. When they hit combat next turn they won but only just. I enjoy the elitist approach of using only warriors, chosen and Knights. I've been toying with the idea of forsaken and I've seen how you use them extremely effectively m'Lord. That and I really want to use my spare nid bits to create them

Besides that though, I've never used trolls, ogres, Dr.ogres, or a shaggoth in any list but am extremely interested in running a list based around those 4 units...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I simply love shaggoth because he is such a beast, but I never use warshrines or chariots because, as said above, it's not nice when your chariot gets popped first turn.
    "Victory is sweet, blood is sweeter." - Aun'Vre

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

never used ogres, and dragon ogres before, nor forsaken or shaggoths...
    wanted to try out a shaggoth, or even the others

but i always play against shooty armies so i fear they always die before they can arrive

and the ogre, dr ogre models are just plain ugly...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

I love my dragon ogres. They ares still being constructed, but i am putting the upper half of black orcs on cold ones. I've seen pictures of it done and it looks legit. I generally prefer to run mine with great weapons as they have such paltry initiative that there is not much to lose, and they make for excellent monster/heavy cav hunters. Plus, it's pretty funny when someone casts Flesh to Stone on a unit and you are STILL wounding on 2s.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

I never use Dragon ogres and chaos trolls, not because I think they are hopelessly overprised, but because the models themselfs makes my eyes bleed!
    Trolls i've used once, since I don't own any myself. I did find a website selling alternative trolls (Not GW) which I plan to buy and convert at some point.
    Quote Lord Borak
    Now now lads. This is a forum about grown men playing with toy soldiers. Lets be adults please.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

I'm in the same train of thought with the Drogres, just found this though,
    Dragon Ogres conversion ROTHAND STUDIO - YouTube
    if anyone here on LO did these, fess up now because that is some seriously legit work

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

iv just bought a shaggoth and used it in 3 games

1st game) killed a vampire hero and the entire unit of skellies he was with
    2nd game) killed a lvl 4 prophetess hiding in a 80 strong unit of peasants, they failed there Ld and ran and were caught by the shaggoth

3rd game) survived by luck, it got charged by a unit of goblin chariots but they lost 1 going through terrain and failed there panic tests, went on to do nothing really but hold my flank from some woof riders

In short i find he to be a great character assassin, 6 attacks at S6 WS6 means he will probably hit on 3's and then wound on 2's with a -3 to there AS
    Other than that he is also a great flank charger

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Aye I've never used Dragon Ogres which is fairly shocking as I've used pretty much everything else. I've never even written an army list with them in because the models are just hideous. Even nicely converted ones look hideous. Plus the other small matter of THEY MAKE NO SENSE!!!!!

Ok, let me explain. They're half Ogre and half Dragon right? How????? Ogres were created by the Old ones and Dragon Ogres were around BEFORE the old ones came to the planet. So unless some random half drunk Old one looked at the Dragon Ogres and thought "I wonder what they would look like with two legs and no scales" and went on to create Ogres then, no, they're just WRONG. Until GW sorts out their background and makes them less 'Ogre' I can't bring myself to use them.

Having said that the rules rock. Movement 7, Ws4, str5 basic with the option for 2 weapons or Great weapons AND they have 4 wounds and a 4+ Save? AND the get Stomp. These guys are nails and at only 25pts more than a Knight they're looking good to me.

What about some of the Special Characters? How have people found them to be? I've never used Vilitch or Valkia or Even a Demon Prince for that matter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast