How do you run your chosen? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    627 (x8)

How do you run your chosen?

I've been thinking about making a whole new army list for kicks and giggles that incorporates a unit of chosen, but I've never actually used them before

So like the title says, what have you guys found that works well for you? To be more specific I mean unit size, formation, equipment, marks, is a tag along warshrine a must for you etc, etc...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    203 (x5)

To be honest, I've stopped using Chosen in favor of warriors with a warshrine.

“If you’re in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.” – Bob Paisley

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

The best way to run them IMO is MoT, Wailing Banner, Full Command, Favor of the Gods, Shields, Halberds, with a warshrine or two for the 4+ Ward/Stubborn. Personally I've always loved chosen, had lots of success with them! Oh and usually in a 2500 point game, which is mostly what I play, I run 17 models in a 6x3 formation with a character bunkered inside.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Noma View Post
    Oh and usually in a 2500 point game, which is mostly what I play, I run 17 models in a 6x3 formation with a character bunkered inside.
    Is that your whole armylist? haha.

No[r]ma definitely has it down, that's probably the best way to run Chosen, but I have to agree with Antithesis that (at least in my opinion) you're better off running Warriors. There are definite gains to the Chosen, getting a +1Stat or a 3+ Ward on the first turn is great, but it's rules-lawyery and you're sinking about 80pts into what amounts to Warriors with +1WS just to guarantee those results. I started dropping my Chosen a while back to save points to get more of the things I felt I needed into my lists, and to be honest, I've never looked back. I very rarely got the 3+ Wardsave on my Chosen, and although the +1Stat was nice, it wasn't anything truly amazing to validate the massive points sink going into the unit. So I cut it.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x2)

Tisk tisk captain, no chosen love. You'll get that buff with 2 Warshrines, and TBH you can drop the shields from Noma's build (who needs em with 3+ Ward?).

Chosen x17, full command, favor, wailing banner, halberds = 428 points, that's not terrible considering 2 shrines will essentially guarantee the 4+ Ward. That's a big target, but you can bring another large special unit in a 2500 list usually.

Chosen buff with wailing exploit leaves only 3 buffs to take, with three potential buffs. Which means your guys are +1T, 3+ Ward, and either +1A or +1Str, depending on the army you are fighting. That is a nasty, nasty unit.

EDIT: Seriously, that unit has never lost. Seriously.
    Last edited by BrockSamson; September 28th, 2011 at 10:47.
    Fear me, mortals, for I am The Anointed, The Favored Son of Chaos, The Scourge of the World. The armies of the Gods rally behind me, and it is by My Will and by My Sword that your weakling nations shall fall. - Archaon, The Everchosen, Lord of the End Times

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

I run my Chosen as a unit of 11 with Halberds, MoT, Rage Banner and a champion with Favour.

As it looks so small it is generally over looked in favour of the bigger, and thus scarier, units of Warriors next to them. However they completely rip bottom when they hit. If they get +1A or Str then they will just blend everything they come up against. The WS6 comes in very handy for me as I tend to fight Dark Elves a lot and other units where WS5 is pretty common. This is in a 2k list.

Having said that though I also run this set up...........

16 Chosen (with 2 Characters), Shields, MoT, Full Cmd, Wailing banner and Favour. They get blessed by a Shrine as well. Although I only have one Shrine as I don't want to spend the first 15 minutes of my first turn explaining to my opponent the rules and then doing re-rolls. This is in a 3k list.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

17 Chosen 6 by 3 with either khorne or tzeencth but both with halberds
    then they need the terror banner and champion with favour and thats it, maybe a warshrine too as they have other uses

Chosen are just awesome
    I played a game vs dark elves and they got into combat with a unit of black guard with bsb and corsairs with the unkillable dreadlord, 4 bloody rounds of combat later and i had my standard bearer left (who got shot on the last turn by a giant block of dark elf crossbow men but meah they more than made there points back virtually wiping out his center, while my shaggoth ran rampant along his right flank (my left flank crumbled due to his insane amount of crossbow shots)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    203 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by BrockSamson View Post
    Tisk tisk captain, no chosen love. You'll get that buff with 2 Warshrines, and TBH you can drop the shields from Noma's build (who needs em with 3+ Ward?).

Chosen x17, full command, favor, wailing banner, halberds = 428 points, that's not terrible considering 2 shrines will essentially guarantee the 4+ Ward. That's a big target, but you can bring another large special unit in a 2500 list usually.

Chosen buff with wailing exploit leaves only 3 buffs to take, with three potential buffs. Which means your guys are +1T, 3+ Ward, and either +1A or +1Str, depending on the army you are fighting. That is a nasty, nasty unit.

I assume you never play against Skaven then.

“If you’re in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.” – Bob Paisley

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I run them (which is about 50% of the time, it's them or knights) it's always with halberd and shield, FC and favour on the champion. The rest depends on my overall army build but will be one of two things:

1) If I'm not going for the cheesy ward save I'll go with MoT with banner of rage, 12-15 in size (6 wide)
    2) If I'm going for the death star then I take MoK and wailing banner. The number is however many I need to take make 18 including characters. This build typically needs a couple of shrines too, which I'm not a great fan of TBH

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BrockSamson View Post

Okay... I'm going to say something, and I fully understand I might get flayed and sacrificed to Slaanesh for this, but I played that build (or something VERY close) once, and I felt the whole time like I was cheating. Obviously to each their own, but in my experience, it's units like this that make people not want to play us. We have so many other options that can win a game if played correctly that putting this unit on the table made me feel.... dirty.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast