regarding max armour saves and EotG - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    89 (x1)

regarding max armour saves and EotG

simple question... brb says 1+ is your max save, but eotg table result #6 says +1 armour save up to a max of 0+. does the armybook supersede the brb?
    if the army book wernt a 7th edition book i wouldnt even have to ask... but seeing as the brb rules are newer, and ive not had that particular result yet, i feel its appropriate to ask.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

76 (x2)

Hmm, good catch!
    In most cases it seems the older army books supercede the core rulebook for 8th edition, but that is ushually reffereing to special rules/abilities, and/or magic item and their costs.

it is a tough one, the wording in the rulebook says "cannot have a save better than a 1+, no matter what. . .

Nevermind, here it is on page 11. Basic vs advanced rules. to paraphrase (as i am too sleepy to quote further), advance rules trump basic rules (Basic rules are what you see in the rulebook, advance rules are the additional rules applied to something (IE Witch elves have frenzy). It goes on further to state that if there is a direct conflict between the rulebook and the army book, the army book takes precidence.
    I think that is sufficient evidence to say that this is possibly one of the only ways to get a better than a 1+ save.

I also checked the Ettera and FAQ, no update to the EotG was made for this entry. Now I have heard here that there is a new print version of our armybook out now with some minor changes in it, and what those changes are haven't been made obvious to those of us who haven't purchased a new copy, could be that there is something in there but I have no way to check myself. . . . that is the only other place to check to see if this is wrong, but i don't think it is =D

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89 (x1)

i was half way through writing this post when i remembered that i should really check the gw faqs to see if this was already addressed there. i guess i either just forgot or skimmed through the earlier pages of the rule book to get to the more specific aspects of playing the game and havent really looked back.

thanks!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

I went to a huge tournament two weeks ago, and actually asked one of the judges about this. It was ruled that you could get the 0+ if you rolled it on the EoTg and already had a 1+ AS, but you could not otherwise get a 0+ AS through standard equipment/mounts/magic items.

This was just one judge's ruling, and im sure other judges in diffrent tournaments might rule otherwise.
    Quote Lord Borak
    Now now lads. This is a forum about grown men playing with toy soldiers. Lets be adults please.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

76 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Vanish View Post

This was just one judge's ruling, and im sure other judges in diffrent tournaments might rule otherwise.
    no, i Don't think so. ArmyBooks > Rulebook (pg 11). If a judge were to rule against it he would be wrong, unless the newer edition of our armybook is different.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

79 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by talismanictattoo View Post
    no, i Don't think so. ArmyBooks > Rulebook (pg 11). If a judge were to rule against it he would be wrong, unless the newer edition of our armybook is different.
    Yeah, I've noticed this, where people react to certain issues and seem to say, "hmm, I guess this could go either way." In reality, those situations are quite rare. Generally, there is a rule right on point, and as annoying as it may be for or against you, I generally will (politely) say so at most tourneys I play in, and not just fold to the judge's ruling. Maybe I'm just argumentative.
    Fear me, mortals, for I am The Anointed, The Favored Son of Chaos, The Scourge of the World. The armies of the Gods rally behind me, and it is by My Will and by My Sword that your weakling nations shall fall. - Archaon, The Everchosen, Lord of the End Times

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

79 (x2)

That being said.... if 2 warshrines buff one unit of knights, and both roll the +1 armor... 1st warshrine takes them to 0+... does the next one reroll?
    Fear me, mortals, for I am The Anointed, The Favored Son of Chaos, The Scourge of the World. The armies of the Gods rally behind me, and it is by My Will and by My Sword that your weakling nations shall fall. - Archaon, The Everchosen, Lord of the End Times

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

89 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by BrockSamson View Post
    That being said.... if 2 warshrines buff one unit of knights, and both roll the +1 armor... 1st warshrine takes them to 0+... does the next one reroll?
    that i can give a certain "yes" to. the last sentence regarding rolling on the eotg table says "duplicate gifts must always be rerolled"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

79 (x2)

wasn't sure if simply having 0+ was considered a 'duplicate'. gracias for the clarification.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

79 (x2)

8th Ed Rulebook Errata: "Page 43 – Saving Throws - Change the third paragraph to 'Note that a save of any kind can never be better than 1+. This does not prevent a model having items or special rules that would take the save even lower, it simply caps the saving throw at 1+. Also, remember that a roll of 1 is always a failure.'"

Yep, looks like it's 1+ regardless. Which actually kind of screws knights, because our armybook allows them to get an eye roll for 0+ armor, but it essentially accomplishes nothing because the save is still capped at 1+. Fun.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast