Painting (GW and ranking) troublesome rules - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x1)

Painting (GW and ranking) troublesome rules

Dear Warlords,

I've been playing a lot of tournaments and constantly coming across a litlle of a peckle with all the painting rules.
    When painting an army I always strife to paint a WISIWYG army but when seeing my painting points I see folowing:
    My WYSIWYG contraditcts my army coherensy poits (youneed to paint youre marks but when you do you fail the army coherensy). A litlle note I get all points for painting but nerver for army coherensy this way I never get points for this section, buit if this army coherensy is not a notion in the tournament rules I always get best painted
    This whay, it has cost me two tournaments vitory's.
    Below you'll find my lists can any one tell me how I can get the two painting rules ovelap so I can finanelly show my community that Warriors of chaos are the best army in the current rules:

1 Sorcerrer Lord Lore of Shadow
    Barded Chaos Steed
    Level 4 wizard
    Infernal Puppet
    Talisman of Persevation
    Dragon Helm
    Conjoined Homonculus
    1 Exalted Hero
    Mark of Tzeetch
    Barded Chaos Steed
    Battle Standard Bearer
    Shield
    Armour of Destiny
    Streal of Corrution
    1 Chaos Sorcerrer Lore of Fire
    Obsidian Trinket
    Iron Curse Icon
    Charmed Shield
    5 Merauder Horsemen
    Mark of Slaanesh
    Flails
    Throwing Axes
    Light Armour
    Muscician
    5 Merauder Horsemen
    Mark of Slaanesh
    Flails
    Throwing Axes
    Light Armour
    Muscician
    17 Chaos Warriors
    Shields
    Mark of Tzeentch
    Champion
    Standard
    Muscician
    Rapturous Standard
    12 Chaos Warriors
    Halberds
    Shields
    Mark of Khorne
    Standard
    Muscician
    Banner of Eternal Flame
    5 Chaos Warhounds
    5 Chaos Warhounds
    6 Chaos Knights
    Mark of Khorne
    5 Chaos Knights
    Mark of Nurgle
    Muscician
    Standard
    Banner of Rage
    1 Hellcannon
    3 Chaos Dwarfs

My stats with this list:
    W=30; L=0; D=1
    This list has proven to be awsome I've only drawed one battle just because my nurgle knights threw 10 one's in one round of combat (when throwing armour saves, that sucked, but hey its still just a game) cleaning out this unit.

Can any ony one pleasy give me some pointers on making this army army cohernet (painting) so I wont losr points on WYSISYG.
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

Erm....last time I looked there was no rules about what a "mark" looked like.....surely the symbol and/or physical afflications/mutations can be painted to complement any force by use of the "colour wheel"?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x2)

Try and come up with something that you can put on every single model in your army to make it common. FOr example, there is a shoulder-armour-thing with 3 skulls on it. If you were to put one on each warrior and marauder, and paint 3 skulls on your banners, and fluff your army to be the "bearer of 3 skulls", or some such nonsense. while the coloring is different for each unit there is a common theme to each of them.

my brother did something similar to this with his empire army. He did bloodstains dripping out of every single skull that was present (which were on many of his models) for the dead-eye clan. He is now working on a Winterfell theme army, and is green-stuffing wolf fur to each model.

Hopefully that will be enough to apease the judges. If not, I would question their credability in being judges. How many painting contests have THEY won, and were they even contests of note?

WYSIWYG for marks is, at least in my area, coloring spesific.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

~shrug~ You could just paint "mark colors" on one part of the model...if your army is generally in black and chainmail, and you have a unit of Tzeentch warriors, they will of course have shields...that can be painted blue with a yellow 8-pointed star on them...the rest of the model conforms to the army. Great weapon marauders marked Khorne? You can probably consider the unit "marked" if they're carrying a red banner...they don't really have armor to speak of, so there's no color conflict or army coherency conflict with a bunch of half-naked savages...as long as their clothing, what little there is, is matched to the army at large. They don't have to be wearing red face paint to be khorne marauders!!!

Just use the color scheme on the bulk of the model to unite the army, and pick just one area to show the appropriate mark.

That said...an army with more than one mark is, in a certain sense...incoherent. I would think that, fluff-wise, unless it's some massive invasion under an everchosen, or some chaos lord of near-everchosen status, it's incorrect to mix marks...I'd expect the smaller warbands that are the norm to contain more unmarked units than marked, and for those units that are marked to be marked, uniformly with the same mark as the general.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

I have my own theme for all my units (blue-ish), and different bannermen for whatever mark I want my unit to have, so if I want Slaanesh Warriors, I put my Slaanesh standardbearer in the front (he is carrying a large Slaanesh fetish), if I want them Nurgle, I'll use my Nurglebanner and so forth.

- Tash

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Easy. You can can easily do both in an army without too much effort. Simply paint the army a 'standard' colour like Dark Metal. Then pick out the Marks by painting the banners with the Rune of your chosen Mark, or use banner tops from Chaos Space Marines. You can also paint the cloaks on the back of the Warriors to further bring the mark out.

You'll have a regimental looking force which will still be WYSIWYG.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

where do you put your chars?
    in which units?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is where I knida dislike tournaments. I'm quite a hard-core gamer and I think the hobby aspect should be separate from the gaming aspect. I don't want to devote hundreds of hours to painting figures; I just want to battle and play the game in a competitive environment.

However, 30-0 with that list? Really? No disrespect as it's not bad by any stretch but there are a lot of disfavoured choices in it and no marauders which I think most people around here would view as essential. Must be some weird metagame in your area

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Double Post

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Yeah, 30-0 is pretty crazy with an army like that. Especially in a tournament setting, I don't even think there's a meta to explain that one. Not that I care at all about people's win-loss record, I can tell you all that I'm Chuck Norris in real life, and you have no real way of disproving me.

But anyways, you asked about painting.
    I've got a similar but altogether more difficult route for my army. Everything I paint is blended. That means that my Tzeentch warriors get a layer of purple, which I then gradually work up to blue. So when you look at them, you see a very very dark purple, fading out to a very dark blue. My Khorne Warriors are likely going to get the same treatment, but with a very dark purple fading out to a red. I also base all of my models in the same snowy mountain theme, with gravel, clumps of static grass, and half-melted snow on each base. Add to that the fact that my entire army is done in NMM, which actually adds coherency when most people look at my army ("why are all your swords blue?") and I've never had much trouble with people getting mad. I've had more problems with people getting on my case because I haven't finished painting/basing/converting my whole army just yet.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast