Fighting a tooled up Lizardman 2k list. What can I do?! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fighting a tooled up Lizardman 2k list. What can I do?!

I'm playing a 2k tournament right now and so far it has gone quite well. Unfortunately my next opponent is my friend who plays Lizardmen and he promised me he would take the hardest list he could.

It will likely include:
    -2 groups of 24 saurus
    -group of 20 temple guards
    -Life Slaan with two-three discaplines and cupped hands
    -3 groups of chameleons
    -2-3 groups of fire salamanders

I have no idea what to do! His army seems perfect against mine. His chameleons can bog my disc wizard down and/or blow up my hellcannons (if I take them) and they're so mobile I can never catch them. His magic is outstanding and there's no way I could keep up with it. His salamanders will cripple any marauders I might take and do decent against CWs.

Things look grim, is there anything I can do?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x5)

Bring some magic defense to try and limit the damage his Slann can cause (aka a Dispel Scroll), use MoHorse to try and hunt down his Skinks and Salamanders (Flails ftw!), and bring some Warriors to duke it out with his Saurus and TG (fortunately for you, he's not bring a Horde of them, so it could be worse). You'll at least be competitive with this setup.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Aye, flail MoHorse would make a mockery of anything outside his three main blocks...and cheap-as-chips hounds wouldn't fare too poorly, either... I think as long as you stay out of the cupped hands bubble with your mage and keep the salamanders from frying your own blocks, warriors on warriors is a pretty even fight...I think the main thing is to avoid overspending on your own characters, limiting yourself to the obligatory L4 mage and a cheap BSB... The slaan should cost as much as your own mage and your BSB combined. Then build your three blocks and spend the rest on skink and salamander remedies. Maybe, if you skimp a little here and there, you can squeeze out a block of five knights...to give you a little edge...the knights won't do anything on their own, but if they hit one of his blocks in the flank after you're already locked...you'll win that fight and then you really start rolling with a 4-2 unit-that-counts advantage.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rothgar13 View Post
    Bring some magic defense to try and limit the damage his Slann can cause (aka a Dispel Scroll), use MoHorse to try and hunt down his Skinks and Salamanders (Flails ftw!), and bring some Warriors to duke it out with his Saurus and TG (fortunately for you, he's not bring a Horde of them, so it could be worse). You'll at least be competitive with this setup.
    The problem is that I will likely also need the infernal puppet in case he cupped hands me. If I do both then I need two casters. I have two casters then he can use cupped hands on the one in the unit (the other will be flying around.

With lore of life he will be looking to miscast anyway. scroll will be good for one round and thats about it.

Mohorses could never take the salamander in combat. It has a huge range and is str 5 in combat with tons of wounds.

Similarily, the salamanders would e bat mohorses alive. Being skirmishers with 12'' they need only move out of my charge arc and likely they could kill the mohorses with one blowdart volley

Master of secret stuff HappyJim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

6 dice purple sun on a daemon prince for the win no seriously, that is how you kill lizardmen, fly allows you to get on the flank of his army, you roll the 6 dice and hope for a double 6, low I of his models means you should be able to kill a large amount of models
    Last edited by HappyJim; October 31st, 2011 at 00:12.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 (x5)

Bringing 2 casters is certainly feasible at 2K, if you dial down how tooled-up your Disc Lord is, which is not that hard to do.

Scroll only has to be good for one spell, so if that spell is on T1, so be it.

MoHorse can actually take Salamanders fairly easily - you have higher WS and Flails give 'em S5 (at the same I value as the Sallies), so you're getting attacks that hit and wound on 3's. That should rough them up enough for you to possibly win combat. It can't stand and shoot, and you can bounce around it, being Fast Cav (which you are). If you're preoccupied with him marching, just step up to him and march-block him. If he wants to dance around or pelt fire at your MoHorse all day, let him - that means your main blocks are unscathed.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Lizardmen can be a really tough match up for us, they have immensely strong magic, and salamanders are mean...especially to our marauders. I know when I play my lizardmen against WoC, I'll play defensively. I sit back cast my spells with however many dice and make you miscast. One thing that messes me up sometimes is feedback scroll in combination with a lvl 2 w/ lore of death.

Lore of tzeentch is nice against lizardmen, and take third eye to steal his spells and buff your units use flesh to stone on your marauders or warriors with +5 to cast, chances are he won't like that very much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    65 (x1)

take a level 4 death sorcerer with a power scroll and a flying carpet. suicide fly up and shoot purple sun down his line, they have horrible initiative and will all die.

Master of secret stuff HappyJim's Avatar
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Death would be better on a daemon prince because of him being stubborn, able to fly, higher T and wounds, if he get locked in combat atleast he will be much harder to break and you may well be able to get a purple sun off on the unit he is engaged with

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 (x5)

It also costs a million points (over 450 points, and that'll get you a Sorcerer that can either outcast the heck out of him or a Chaos Lord that can pound him into the dirt, with points left over). Additionally, you can't rely on Irresistible Force Purple Sun against any Lizardmen player worth his salt, because they'll take The Becalming Cogitation and simply get rid of all those 6's you rolled on cast on it, then dispel it (and if you stay out of range of that, your Purple Sun only touches his unit on a 10 in the Artillery dice, and believe me, his unit is the one you're aiming it). The Daemon Prince is not what I'd go for.

I do like the idea of lobbing I tests at him, though, that's likely a good idea. I'd lean toward Shadows over Death, though. I don't see him going into a conga line to favor Purple Sun, so Pit of Shades will in all likelihood be more effective, thanks to its superior accuracy and reliability. That said, Purple Sun does have the crucial advantage of that you can lob it into combat over and over again, so it's not like Death is bad.
    Last edited by rothgar13; October 31st, 2011 at 04:53.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast