Marauder Horsemen or Chaos Warhounds? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    98 (x2)

Marauder Horsemen or Chaos Warhounds?

Or possibly neither. What are the community's thoughts on these guys for redirecting, distracting and warmachine hunting?

I had planned to take six Marauder Horsemen, Mark of Khorne and flails for hunting down warmachines, but it's been pointed out to me that I could fit four units each of five Chaos Warhounds for exactly the same price. That puts more than three times as many wounds on the table and nearly the exact same number of attacks, though more spread out. It also loses the speed of the Marauder Horsemen, but given that a Vanguard move doesn't allow you to charge one turn one anyway, I don't know how much I'd feel that loss.

I don't need the points spent in Core, so I'm willing to consider dropping both units entirely for something different or buffing up an existing unit.

What are everyone's thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Both?

I probably wouldn't go with MoK for War Machine hunters as, with Frenzy, they can be redirected and can chase off after chaff instead of going after war Machines. They also can't elect to flee as they are immune to Psychology. On top of that if you're only taking a unit of 5 MoK works out at 6pts per model and that is FAR to much for frenzy. So........ You're better off with MoS as it's much cheaper, you won't panic or be redirected and can elect to flee.

Hounds. You get what you pay for. Bum LD, no Vanguard move, no access to weapons or other equipment and have little chance of rallying. However they're cheap, fast and don't really matter if they never rally after a flee reaction. As you've pointed out you can get 4 units for the cost of a Horsemen unit and only one has to make it through to that War Machine to do it's job as even lowly dogs have better stats that most War Machine Crew..... One other thing...... The bonus of having extra units will help you deploying the rest of your force as you get to see where the enemy deploys his nasties first.

I run 6 units of hounds at 2k+ and I usually get to deploy all my main scary units while he's deploying characters.

Neither of these units have armour or high toughness so do not expect them to charge an archer-type unit in the front and win. The stand and shoot reaction will kill them and the one or two survivors can be dragged down easy enough. So supplementing units of Hounds/Horsemen with 5 man Knights units, Forsaken and other small hard hitting (and fast) units is a good idea.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One other thing. Flank attacks. Maybe this is such a no-brainer that I've never seen anyone really talk about it but in passing here. But in my last two games, flanks made a huge difference. In the first it made what was supposed to be a piece of cake battle between 35 (6x6 missing one in back) marauders with GW and MoK against a unit of 25 or so skellies suddenly turn into a slogfest that lasted three rounds because I was flanked by a tiny unit of ghouls. Disruption made me lose CR all over the place.

The next time I managed to get flank on a unit of TK chariots that had decimated my marauders with their impact hits, but they held thank god, and my warriors flanked them and messed the chariots up! Eventually the marauders died, but their BSB didn't and he joined the warriors and that unit ran rampant all over the remaining enemies.

Flanking is GOOD is what I'm saying.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

79 (x2)

MHorse are too pricey for what they do, but you almost need a unit or 2 of dogs. There will always be something on the flank you will want to speed bump, and you will be ecstatic the first time they eat a mangler squig.
    Fear me, mortals, for I am The Anointed, The Favored Son of Chaos, The Scourge of the World. The armies of the Gods rally behind me, and it is by My Will and by My Sword that your weakling nations shall fall. - Archaon, The Everchosen, Lord of the End Times

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

79 (x2)

Also, remember you can Ld test to avoid frenzy charging now
    Fear me, mortals, for I am The Anointed, The Favored Son of Chaos, The Scourge of the World. The armies of the Gods rally behind me, and it is by My Will and by My Sword that your weakling nations shall fall. - Archaon, The Everchosen, Lord of the End Times

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x5)

I'm with Brock on this one - MoHorse are pretty expensive for what is a unit that is expected to kill war machines and not much else, and Dogs will do a similar job for almost no cost. That said, the Horselords special rule makes a block of 10 MoHorse sneaky good at slamming into a flank and running down survivors. But that's not a chaff unit, that's a complementary combat unit, and not every list has the room for those.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

98 (x2)

Ok, I'm fairly well sold. Replace the one unit of Marauder Horsemen with four units of Chaos Warhounds.

On it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

76 (x2)

I used to hate dogs and use horsemen, after I got back on these forums i saw how much people liked to the dogs so I gave them another try. Since i knew more about how the game works I realized how good they could be. Now I detest the horsemen and haven't looked back. I do see some people using them here or there on the forums but not with the same conviction as dog users. I suppose I could start giving them another try but i really don't want too.
    Biggest reason being is how much cheaper they are. for the same point investment as marauders you get far more tactical options available too you. and you might not think it but even 10-20 extra points gets felt throughout the list. An extra mark here, a gift there can help you customize your list a tiny bit more in the direction you want.

The payoff for horsemen is pretty much limited to adding gear and marks and a musician. Vanguard and their higher movement seem good on paper but it isn't such a great thing on the table. How? Because of how the horsemen vs dogs work in the deployment phase. With dogs, you throw them down first and spread them out, so each unit will cover a portion of the table. this both makes sure you have dogs available almost anywhere on the table you will want to put them, and also eats up your opponent's drops, allowing you to counter-deploy your troops against his. Horsemen are very different. For the same cost as 3 units of dogs I can only bring a single unit of horsemen with whatever toys i can squeeze. This has tremendous consequences in the deployment phase are obvious. Your horsemen will burn up 1 drop at the most, and if you lead with them there is a 0% chance of a soft target being close. Don't lead with the horsemen and you have to put something bigger down and allow it to be counter-deployed.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never play without the hounds in the mix. Since most war-machines (if not all) can't stand and shoot, as long as the dogs can get around the flank they can usually either kill the crew, or at least prevent that war-machine from firing for a round or two which helps your main fighting units get into CC without taking as many casualties.

Another thing I have found the hounds to be great for is baiting. This is strictly for those pesky fanatics from the night goblin units (not sure how often you play an Orc/Goblin army that uses em). I will run a unit of hounds right at a unit of Night Goblins just to pull them babies out. Figured a unit of hounds is 30 points and, if in the right position, the fanatics will either blow through ur hounds and hit terrain (ker-splat for the fanatic) or he won't make it to the hounds and you have now prevented his own units from advancing while you position your own units. Last time this happened his own fanatics went barrel assing right back through his own units and took out a full night goblin unit, goblin sorc, and some of his Orc Boyz. Needless to say it was funny to watch him kill himself while Chaos magics were thrown around at ease with the lack of an enemy caster.
    Warriors of Chaos > 3,000
    Skaven <1,500
    Life - TBA

+ Reply to Thread