My first battle and against heavy fire (Dwarves) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first battle and against heavy fire (Dwarves)

Hi everyone ...
    Need some help, a noobie with WoC and one of my first battles (2,500pts) and it will be against Dwarves.
    I am expecting Heavy Fire with :
    -2 cannons
    -2 organ guns
    -Gyrocopter
    -Anvil of Doom

With all my inexperience with Chaos, I was thinking in using ...
    -Marauders + Wulfrik to enter in the battle behind the Dwarf fire line
    -10 Warhounds + 10 Marauder Horsemen : to reach the fir line as soon as possible
    -Hellcannon (for some firepower back)
    -2 DoT to some flexibility in the manouvers (against Gyrocopter and some cannons).
    -2 blocks of 20 Chaos Warrior (1 Tz and 1 Nurgle)
    -5 Chaos Knights of Nurgle
    -Items???

Does it make any sense (or chance) ?

Every opinion will be helpfull

Many thanks !!!!!

Kaznak

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x2)

Welcome!

Few pointers:
    1) MHorse are overpriced for what they do. Just take more dogs and free up points.

2) Hellcannons are worth it, but mostly for their combat prowess. Shooting with them is only good against low LD armies, and the dwarves don't qualify.

3) Mark of Nurgle is generally considered overpriced, give warriors/knights tzeentch if you're concerned about defense. You can throw blasted standard on the knights of tzeentch and poof, 4++ against shooting, with a 1+ armor. That's a tough nut to crack.

4) The only time I would say to take MoN is on a super killy knight unit with banner of rage. Not as good as the 4+ ward, but shooting at them is still annoying, and they annihilate in combat. If you run these guys though, make sure they have bodies to spare.

5) Wulfrik is wonderful against gun lines. Just remember, against other opponents, he does not HAVE to be deployed on Seafang. Against a melee opponent he serves better on the field on turn one.

Just my two cents, have fun!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x2)

As for heroes, a few I'd suggest:

Sorc Lord of Shadow (Level 4)
    Infernal Puppet, Talisman of Preservation, Charmed Shield. If you have the points, Distendable Maw is gross on him too, combos great with the Miasma shadow spell.

BSB, Armor of Destiny, MoT. 3+ ward on your BSB. Nuff said.
    Fear me, mortals, for I am The Anointed, The Favored Son of Chaos, The Scourge of the World. The armies of the Gods rally behind me, and it is by My Will and by My Sword that your weakling nations shall fall. - Archaon, The Everchosen, Lord of the End Times

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got to admit, I've never understood why people say a Hellcannon isn't worth it as a siege weapon. It does the same attack as a stone thrower but at a MUCH higher strength and with a chance to panic any unit it hits. Sure it does great as CC, but it's also a helluva surprise to players that don't expect WoC to have any shooting at all.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

Wulfrik + marauder's is an excellent choice for what your going to be facing, get in behind him and make him regret every move he's made up to that point.

I agree that nurgle is overpriced, but it works fairly well against shooty armies, maybe not in this case, but for the future don't disregard it straight away.

M.Horsemen are pretty overpriced, dogs will do fine, make sure you take them in 2 units of 5 for more flexibility.

The hellcannon is an absolute beast in close combat, but don't ever look at a S10 hit and turn your cheek, high leadership or not when that connects it's going to hurt. Just watch out for the dwarf slayer's(or whatever they're called..)

If you are going to be bringing a couple of disc rider's along, watch out for those warmachines they can hurt quite a bit, keep them well protected. Charmed shield, ironcurse icon, etc.

Oh and despite there stature, tiny as they may be, dwarves are reasonably well versed in close combat, they have good armor, and decent toughness, don't let him dictate the battle, fight on even ground if you can help it.

Best of luck!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Dogs are Great war machine hunters........ However do not expect them to actually kill a Dwarf crew. Dwarf crew are still Dwarves and are more than a match for Dog. Plus they're stubborn (they are right?) so combat res wont bother them. The best a unit of dogs can do is stop them firing for a turn and thats about it. Now I have no idea how a good a Dwarf player is but most of them I know are highly protective of their war machines and generally protect them with great weapon weilding Crossbowmen and you'll need to get through these.

There are a few tricks up your sleeve. Horsemen get all the benefits of fast cav so can be great for charging through narrow gaps between units. They're also a match for Cannon crew in combat so you can reliably kill them. You also have the Disc Exalted who can charge over protective units and into his war machines. Make sure you protect him well though (The charmed shield and the Golden eye is pretty good)

As people have mentioned, Wulfrik is good for making him twitchy and think hard about his deployment. Wulfrik is pretty random though so do have a back up plan. Disc riders, Horsemen and dogs are good for hunting.

One last thing. I'd probably leave Magic at home. Dwarves are gits as they can have numerable 'Dispel' Scrolls, loads of bonus dispel dice and have a standard bonus to dispel. Most players spend bucket loads of points on magic defence so...... let him waste points on a phase you wont use. Use those points for more combat troops.
    Last edited by Lord Borak; December 28th, 2011 at 05:54.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x5)

Borak is in the right here - Dwarf crews are Stubborn and more than a match for a Dog in combat, so I'd consider Horsemen here (though you still want Dogs for chaff/dummy-drop purposes).

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    203 (x5)

I have to disagree with Borak regarding the magic phase - A level 4 Sorcerer with Lore of Death really does well against dwarf armies, and Purple Sun will provide you with so many power dice he won't have a chance to really shut you down.

“If you’re in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.” – Bob Paisley

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

You have to cast Purple sun in the first place though. To do that you need to 6 Dice it and if you don't get IR he can use Spell breaker which dispels it and destroys the spell on a 4+. Shadow and Death really do screw over Dwarves though so you are right. I'd just use the points to get extra choppiness and surprise him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dwarves don't believe in fake impossible magic
    Warriors of chaos: 2010 > pressent
    Lizardman: 2009 > 2010 , 2011> Present

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast