Skull of Katam: The Cheapskate - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    203 (x5)

Skull of Katam: The Cheapskate

What do you guys think of this item? I really want to start using lists with a Chaos Lord on Disc but that means my magic in a 2K-2.5K game is going to be severely limited - then I re-evaluated our magic items and came up with this guy:

Chaos Sorcerer lvl.II
    MoT
    Skull of Katam
    Third Eye
    215pts.

That has to be one of the cheapest ways of having +4 to cast, and will probably costs less that the base price of most enemy wizards, hopefully the standard level 4 Archmage most armies field. I would deploy him in a group of 10 Slaanesh marauders and they will just sit in a building somewhere overlooking the battleground.

I know it's no Puppet or Dispell Scroll, but I think this could be a decent alternative.

“If you’re in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.” – Bob Paisley

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    98 (x2)

You can get a similar effect using Blood of Tzeentch and Conjoined Homunculus. That also leaves you twenty points for kit.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    203 (x5)

That's a very good idea and much safer overall too, kudos to you!

“If you’re in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.” – Bob Paisley

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

98 (x2)

That's credit I can't take, but thanks!

Someone else pointed out to me that Blood of Tzeentch is this edition's Must Have item for Chaos Sorcerers and by gum it's phenomenal. Four things I try never to leave the house without, in order of importance - Blood of Tzeentch, Infernal Puppet, Conjoined Homunculus, Third Eye of Tzeentch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I frequently use Infernal Puppet but never the other 3. I haven't really looked into them but why do you guys use them?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

98 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Lelith View Post
    I frequently use Infernal Puppet but never the other 3. I haven't really looked into them but why do you guys use them?
    Blood of Tzeentch is a phenomenal piece of protective kit for sorcerers that also allows you to potentially boost the power of your spells. In 7th Edition, the wording was designed such that it couldn't protect you from a miscast. Because of the changes to the rules for spell casting, it can now be used to prevent a miscast entirely, which is of significantly greater benefit than the Infernal Puppet.

The Conjoined Homunculus allows you to take a casting value which you just need to tip over the line and gives you the extra boost you need. Used carefully, it can prevent the end of your magic phase - say, by giving you the extra one or two to a casting value you would otherwise fail - or it can help you push through a spell which you particularly need to get off which hasn't been cast Irresistibly.

When you combine the two, you get a hugely powerful result: suddenly you're able to use three or four dice for your most powerful spell with a really good chance of getting it off - especially if you factor in the Mark of Tzeentch. Where we were previously five- or six-dicing Infernal Gateway, for example, we can now reliably cast it on three dice. That's a massive power shift.

Third Eye of Tzeentch on a level one or level two caster with Mark of Tzeentch gives you an excellent support caster. Don't rely on it for your main caster, but if you take a level one caster and Mark of Tzeentch, you have a +2 to your casting value and at the very least you can hit an enemy with unit with Flickering Fire every turn, most likely on one dice. If things work out well for you, you have every spell available to your opponent - whether that's High Magic, the Lore of Life or whatever.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

Sometimes you want to get that double 6 though! Blood of Tzeentch is cool though but I never manage to fit it in as I always want the Puppet and a Scroll.

The skull of Katam is good but to get the most out of its potential you really need multiple wizards. Chuck a few low level Sorcerers (and even the BoS Exalted) within 3" and they start to turn into a Magical battery. If you have a Lvl 4, MoT, with the the Book of Ashur and a level 1 next to him with the skull he's getting +7 to cast......... Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

98 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Borak View Post
    Sometimes you want to get that double 6 though!
    Blood of Tzeentch can let you roll a double six that you wouldn't otherwise roll.

Blood of Tzeentch is cool though but I never manage to fit it in as I always want the Puppet and a Scroll.
    Yup, if you're definitely taking those two, you're pretty much guaranteed no Blood of Tzeentch, but personally I don't bother with Dispel Scroll anymore.

The skull of Katam is good but to get the most out of its potential you really need multiple wizards. Chuck a few low level Sorcerers (and even the BoS Exalted) within 3" and they start to turn into a Magical battery. If you have a Lvl 4, MoT, with the the Book of Ashur and a level 1 next to him with the skull he's getting +7 to cast......... Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.
    That's filthy. I love it!

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

I guess it really depends how many points your playing. At 2.5k or less I still only use 2 characters. One of which is a BoS BSB and the other is a Level 4. I can fit the Scroll on the BSB and the Lord gets the puppet. To take Blood O' Tzeentch and the puppet you need two dedicated sorcerers. So, do you take a BsB as well? Three characters is a lot of points in such sized games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    65 (x1)

dont forget if you use homunculus you have to test for stupidity in the next round, so its not without flaws.

I ran this once:

Sorcerer lord of tzeentch level 4
    book of ashur
    talisman of endurance

standing next to level one sorcerer with the skull of katam and hes +7 to cast with a 4+ wardsave.

I also really liike this build:

Chaos Lord, MoT, Halberd, Shield
    Disc of Tzeentch
    Book of secrets
    blood of tzeentch
    talisman of preservation
    third eye of tzeentch
    conjoined homunculus

Hes pretty awesome in storm of magic, flies around doing 5 str6 attacks and can cast with w.e lore you put in the book or what he can steal, he gets +2 to cast and you can use blood of tzeentch to re-roll any double 6's to avoid the d6+1 miscast.
    Last edited by HellcannonsRcool; January 5th, 2012 at 01:21.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast