Interesting email from Gav Thorpe - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    98 (x2)

Interesting email from Gav Thorpe

Hey, guys.

One of my friends recently emailed a question to Games Workshop about multiple "special weapons" on a unit, asking how it affected the unit in combat. The reply he got from - I believe - Gav Thorpe said that if you have multiple special weapons on a unit, you choose which weapon you're using.

So far, so normal.

However, the email specifically gave the example of halberds and shields: Thorpe said that if you have both halberds and shields, you can choose which benefit to give your troops at the start of any combat phase, i.e., the shields count as a special weapon. So you can choose to receive a charge with your shields and then use your halberds in subsequent rounds of combat.

I think this is contrary to the Librarium's understanding of how this rule works. Any thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x5)

I do believe it is contrary to the common understanding of how it works. Let's start with the fact that shields aren't special weapons - Warhammer considers them a piece of armor. Secondly, you don't get to change in a round-by-round basis - that's right in the equipment section in page 89, for God's sake.

Last but not least, lol @ Gav Thorpe for not knowing the rules to the game.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

98 (x2)

Maybe it's not on a round-by-round basis, then. I don't have the email - it was a friend who got it. And my rulebook is in the other room and I'm kinda comfy where I am, so can't be bothered going to look it up. If the rules specifically say that you have to use a special weapon if you have one and that shields do not count as special weapons, then that's fairy nuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, I got my rulebook here - in the big list of weapons, shields aren't listed, which says clearly enough they aren't a special weapon, I believe. Also, "Whichever weapon they select must be used for the entire combat.". Page 89 of the small rulebook you get in the Island of Blood box for that one.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

76 (x2)

I got an email from gav thorpe too and he told me that the cost of my chaos dragon doesn't count towards my lord point allocation, and since i put my chaos lord on the dragon he doesn't count for it either. Infact, he doesn't count at all and I am allowed to do this at no cost to my army.

Seriously either your buddy is BS'n you or perhaps someone on the other side of the internets is having some fun at the expense of your friend and Mr. Thorpe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The choice between shield and halberd makes sense to me but not every round of combat. you have to decide before combat starts. I mark my warriors khorne anyway so shields are redundunt.
    "my heart pump gangsta"

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    320 (x8)

Note that Hand weapon and shield are described before the special weapons paragraph on 88.

this paragraph starts with the following:
    "remember earlier when I said fighting with a hand weapon doesn't confer any special rules?" .. it does for hw+shld blah blah

I can imagine this may seem like it just made hand wpn+shield 'special', but instead it confirms this: hand weapon and shield: you are fighting with a hand weapon as make sense, since the paragraph is part of the Hand Weapons section. the shield is not part of the weapons section, but is instead shown here because it does give a combo rule with the hand weapon (which you cannot use when you have a special weapon).

In short: im with Rothgar13 (and the common understanding) on this :p

im still a Gav Thorpe fan btw. it must have been an evil copycat sending out false letters to smear his esteemed and revered name!
    Eternal Newbie

Warchief Diggah o da Bloodmoon Squiggahs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

79 (x2)

As much as it sucks, the rules are very clear that, if you are using a hand weapon and a 'special' weapon (halberd, spear), you MUST use the special in combat. It makes no mention of shields, and since shields are not weapons, but armor, unless they specifically mentioned hand weapon + shield as a 'special' combo, they are not. Ergo, if you have a halberd and shield, you are using the halberd in combat. No if's and's or but's.

Think it's annoying for us? Ask Temple Guard how they feel, they HAVE to pay for halberds and CANNOT bunker up anymore. Thems the breaks.

They probably should have made sword and board a special weapon type, but oh well.
    Fear me, mortals, for I am The Anointed, The Favored Son of Chaos, The Scourge of the World. The armies of the Gods rally behind me, and it is by My Will and by My Sword that your weakling nations shall fall. - Archaon, The Everchosen, Lord of the End Times

Martial of the Riddermark
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x2)

What happens if the special weapon no longer conveys a bonus? I'm thinking here of charging with spears, or not having the extra rank anymore.
    Not quite a WoC question, but I thought it fitted this thread.
    adamwelton "Bliss-giver is right as always."
    "Opportunities multiply as they are seized."

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

98 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by bliss-giver View Post
    What happens if the special weapon no longer conveys a bonus? I'm thinking here of charging with spears, or not having the extra rank anymore.
    Not quite a WoC question, but I thought it fitted this thread.
    It's still a special weapon, regardless. The rule doesn't say you have to be getting a bonus from a special weapon; it says that if you have a special weapon, you have to use it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast