chaos lord? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: chaos lord?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

chaos lord?

Firstly, sorry if this has been posted before but i havnt seen it....

i have now decided that I'm running a mono tzeentch WoC list now, so my question is this.........

how would you run the lord?

Thanks for any ideas

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mr Commisar to you Commisarlestat's Avatar
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    332 (x8)

Well itll have to be a tzeentch sorcerer lord used either of two ways.
    First way is to stick him in a unit using standard sorcerer setup. Possibly a lvl 1 or 2 nearby with skull of katam and a dispel scroll.
    By standard setup I mean something like enchanted shield black tongue and a ward save.

The other way which works really well is on a disc with the breath weapon gift. Beef up his ward save and armour save as well. To use him throw him behind or to the flank of enemy units breath weapon and flickering fire the unit before you hit it with warriors or even a small knight unit to finish it off.

There is a third option. That is vilitch though I haven't tried him in the current edition.

Hope that helps

A

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    203 (x5)

The Disc Chaos Lord is a fun one, but make sure he has crown of command - that way he can hold up an entire unit which is pure gold in terms of tactics.

“If you’re in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.” – Bob Paisley

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

I think a sorcerer lord is your best bet in the current state of the game, a lvl 4 is common amongst armies to ensure that you don't get tabled by your opponents powerful spells. purple sun, dwellers to name a few are devastating to deal with so having a bonus to dispel really helps out.

I generally run my tzeentch lvl 4 as a more combat oriented character. This has two benefits, one being that most of the time your opponent will not expect it, second being that he really helps out in the combat resolution department.

Sorcerer Lord, lvl 4, MoT, talisman of preservation, chaos runesword, charmed shield, third eye of tzeentch, chaos steed(optional, I like to run him with my knights mostly, but your probably better off leaving him in a unit of warriors instead)

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Antithesis
    The Disc Chaos Lord is a fun one, but make sure he has crown of command - that way he can hold up an entire unit which is pure gold in terms of tactics.
    Gold? Bronze, maybe. Most of the time, the unit in question costs far less than him and is no threat to your warriors anyway! Just kill them instead!
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

203 (x5)

So being able to block an entire Plague Furnace horde with a single character rates as Bronze huh? Sometimes it is better to use your brain a bit and delay key units, especially ones with sorcerers bunkered inside - warriors can take a long time to get in close and charging in blindly can lead you into some nasty traps - particularly when your enemy expects you to do precisely that every game.

The massive range of flying units is what makes it viable, something our warriors lack in - sorcerers are great on discs too, but the Chaos Lord can also really throw a lot of armies off balance in terms of movement/charging/redirecting.

If I am running a Sorcerer Lord, I try to keep him well away from hand to hand combat and go with Puppet/Golden_Eye/Charmed_Shield combo and Roar/Third Eye [Stream is better off on the BSB I find]. Unless I choose and unmarked Lord with Lore of Death instead, in which case I like it close and personal.
    Last edited by Antithesis; January 20th, 2012 at 20:11.

“If you’re in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.” – Bob Paisley

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

One build that has worked well for me, although this may be because I face Ogres a lot, is MoT, HellFire Sword, and the Collar of Khorne, with Soporific Musk and a shield. Yes, he is kinda squishy with just a 3+5+, but my god does he hit like a freight train against anything that has multiple wounds. Against monstrous infantry, expect him to drop at least 3, and often four, models a turn. That is 9-12 wounds in a single phase.

I'm not going to say that he works in every list; you are going to be much better served by a Sorcerer Lord, or a Choas Lord on disk with the Stubborn helm, at 2000 points than you are with this guy. But at 4k, when people are bringing out the big gribblies by the truckload, he is Ace.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

most size i will be playing is 2k,to 2.5k, as its a tzeentch army, i like the idea of a disc rider, but do i kit him to b killy swell as lvl4 or just defensive and be a nuisance?
    and does he go on a disc or bunker him? i don't c bunkering him tbh??!?!!?!?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

203 (x5)

If he is on a disc and a caster, aim to keep him alive and fly around avoiding close combat/LoS - this is what Golden Eye does very well especially with charmed shield in case of a cannonball.

In a block it is a different story, then he perhaps needs to have kill power in case of challenges.

Sounds like you are thinking of a Sorcerer Lord, but remember a level 2 hero could work fine with Third Eye, Golden Eye, Dispell Scroll and a disc.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x2)

I like to run my chaos lord with a 5+ ward save and either a halberd or the runesword. other little toys can be fun but not really necessary. Many naysayers will say that chaos lords are a poor choice, and in a general sense they are not wrong. He costs as much as a full unit would, and his only real purpose is to do damage. Most of our units do that, so they are overlapping in roles. I will contest that while our warriors can handle most foes in a strait up fight, it isn't always a sure thing. and if opponents decide to run killy-characters, they will kill warriors just as easily as anything else. This makes the Chaos Lord more of a safety measure, ensuring that the unit he joins won't be beaten to the punch, and has the ability to take care of any nasty combat characters.

Chaos lords are unconventional choices and require unconventional approaches.
    One other build i have loved is MoT, the 6+ war item and the stream of corruption . . . . .. . riding a chaos dragon! This is just leagle in a 2500pt game, and not an ideal way to run a 600+ pt unit (only a 5+ ward save for 1/2 it), but it grants you massive damage-spikes with the 5 str 6 and 6 str 6 attacks from the rider and dragon respectivly, and then the thunderstomps. Breath can do more coverage during shooting, but 6d6 autohits at varying Str and Armour modifiers can really make or break critical combats. very very vulnerable tho, and thus you can lose very fast if something bad happens.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast