How to optimise a WoC army against Skaven - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to optimise a WoC army against Skaven

Hi, I'll be mainly facing a skaven army in the near future games. I'm wondering how I can optimise my army so that I can build a few varied but decent 1K to 1.5K army lists with it. I also will take into account considerations to waith for the fortcoming new 8th edition WoC release for items that might very well have a new plastic model. I don't play so many games a year...so it's a long term project.

I currently have in stock, ready and armed:

10x Chaos Knights
    27x Chaos Warriors
    36x Chaos Marauders
    20x Chaos Warhounds
    15x Chaos Marauder Horsemen
    1x Chaos Lord on daemonic mount
    1x khorne champion
    1x sorcerer of chaos
    1x nurgle sorcerer
    1x Chaos cannon
    1x Giant
    1x Spawn of chaos

Last edited by demonic_be; January 24th, 2012 at 15:28.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    203 (x5)

I'd look to a big Deathstar unit of Chaos Knights and build it from there.

Nurgle Warriors seem to well with Banner of Rage and halberds.

A level 2 sorc. with MoT/Third Eye/Puppet is a must.

“If you’re in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.” – Bob Paisley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, Those units I have in my army (as listed) so I can make a 1K/1.5K army list with them, but I'm searching for that extra punch or variety that I can purchase to reinforce my army. The main question is thus: What should I buy next?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First of all, Warriors are safe bet against skaven, you do not need to adapt too much.

Next, Marauder Horsemen are worthless, hounds are good enough against skaven so I'd suggest to take more hounds instead of horsemen marauders. They are good to disturb or hunt ratlings and weapon teams.

Also, borrow Skaven armybook somewhere, take a look who is stubborn and keep your marauders away.

Then, if they have slave hordes - you can keep them busy for a really long time with Hellcannon or Giant, long enough for you to slaughter everything else.

5 Knights is more than enough to completely disable smaller units, you can use 5 to hunt down those units and 5+Lord with some kind of Ogre blade to try to destroy the Bell, but I had no success with Bell yet, just no one else will hit it hard enough.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    203 (x5)

DroGres & Shaggoths are very nice against Skaven because they are immune to his warp lightning [Doomwheel, WL Cannon] which he relies on to kill any big nasties.

The Shaggoth is a bit limited against other armies, but DrOgres can be versatile.

“If you’re in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.” – Bob Paisley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheese it up some. Avoid infantry to prevent the 13th from running wild (which it can do on our warriors). Take Throgg and some trolls as core (skaven have a tough time with trolls) to go along with the knights/dragon ogres. Going from your list though, you could be in some trouble if he gets the 13th off since you will have so much infantry as core. The hellcannon should be pretty good though. Get Mark of Tzeench on your sorcerers and spam gateway at him.

Martial of the Riddermark
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    57 (x2)

You could try a large unit of horsemen to flank him and deny him rank bonuses for hordes (I've never tried it, but it might work), and a large knight unit should work as well.
    And also lore of death could work pretty well whatever you roll.
    Last edited by bliss-giver; January 24th, 2012 at 18:53.
    adamwelton "Bliss-giver is right as always."
    "Opportunities multiply as they are seized."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, if I make a round up, and taking into account what I already own as listed in the first post, my next purchase could then be:

- Dragon Ogres & Shaggoth -- But I don't like the Ogres miniatures, they might very well be replaced by the end of the year by nicer looking models?
    - or Trolls (of which I would then prefer to take river trolls, which are nicer and cheaper) though the Ogres seem te be more effective against skaven I thought?
    Last edited by demonic_be; January 24th, 2012 at 23:20.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, at 1500 points you won't be able to have both the shoggoth and the hellcannon, so I would skip the shoggoth. Also, the advantage of trolls is that you can use them as core if you take Throgg. If you go Dragon Ogres, you will likely have to choose between them and knights.

+ Reply to Thread