A Resurgence of the Chaos Lord - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x5)

A Resurgence of the Chaos Lord

Hey all,

I've been reading up on WoC on some other forums, and I've stumbled upon a very successful list posted on another forum (have a look here). The key thing here is that he's forgoing the Sorcerer Lord most of us would consider part and parcel of the army, and going for a Disc Chaos Lord instead. Given this guy's success and track record (he's been very successful with Dwarfs as well, so he's a proven tourney player), I'm wondering if maybe we can go ahead and bring the big fella out to play. What say you?

Last edited by rothgar13; March 4th, 2012 at 19:15.
    "The best defense is a good offense." -Gen. George S. Patton

My philosophy on gaming, courtesy of Herm Edwards.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x2)

I've been running almost that exact same lord build, but on a dragon. MAN is he nasty. I could see it being really competitive if you forsake the dragon for a disc to save points and field a level "3" of Tzeentch. I'm a fan.
    Fear me, mortals, for I am The Anointed, The Favored Son of Chaos, The Scourge of the World. The armies of the Gods rally behind me, and it is by My Will and by My Sword that your weakling nations shall fall. - Archaon, The Everchosen, Lord of the End Times

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never stopped using the Chaos Lord. And at 3000 PTS you can squese in a Sorcerer Lord and a Chaos lord without a problem and Ihave run him at as low as 1994 pts lists. I run him with my Knights and send them of against the biggest blocks or nastiest monsters in the fight. Fun and if not overly competetive it adds a Hammer that scares the most defensive block.
    Last edited by The Odor; March 4th, 2012 at 19:56.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x2)

@ 2500 i've been running a decent build chaos lord and a bare-bones shadow mage and it's been working allright. I think the mindset that we don't need punchy characters is a phalacy, they have roles to play and can really boost some aspects of the game.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

The phallic nature of your response... Oh, never mind!

I guess the main argument against a lord is that he's too easy to avoid and can be fed a unit champion at least once to blunt his impact. Not to mention the current vogue of spamming T8 monsters (best handled by the glaive, which is best wielded by a disc-exalted).

That said, I like the idea of a lord of tz on disc with 1+/3++ and whatever weapon you can afford. That would eat monstrous infantry, monstrous cavalry, cavalry, artillery, and mages in shooty bunkers (which generally don't even have champions) for breakfast, freeing your regiments to do what they do best, which is make matchsticks out of enemy regiments.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Lord is good, very good but the Sorc lord has more general utility, the magic gives you more options for havoc, that said the disk makes that lord fast and the last thing anyone wants is a chaos lord in CC with anything

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2052 (x8)

I use a Chaos Lord........ In 3k. I love 'em, they're cool, characterful and.........Cool. I'm not sure I'd go to a fight without a sorcerer Lord though. They're just so much more useful than a Chaos Lord. Especially seeing as our Exalteds are so good anyway.

At 3k though, Mr Lord comes out to say hello.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 (x5)

I'm actually considering the Chaos Lord as a legit competitive option over the Sorc Lord. A Scroll caddy (which can do double duty and be your BSB, thanks to the Book of Secrets), and a Puppet Caddy should be enough for a respectable Magic Phase, and that is a guy you NEVER have to bunker or babysit. Frees up a lot of points.

I've actually found that the Exalted Hero's performance is a bit overblown. Sure, he's great compared to an Empire or Bret Hero, but those aren't particularly good to begin with. At the end of the day, the Exalted Hero is still T4 and 2W, and that's kind of squishy for a mainline, "win me some CR" combat character.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x2)

From my experience I would disagree with saying the exalted is overblown - add a halberd to natural S5 gives you 4A @ WS7 S6, and that's BEFORE 50 points of gear and stream of corruption. Throw in MoT, a talisman and charmed shield and he can stand toe to toe with the toughest foe and negate your opponents lords/heros.

The difference between the lord and exalted imo is 100 vs 50 pts of wargear. With 100 you can throw in some diversity and damage, at 50 I feel obligated to spend at least 25-30 if not more on defense (excluding a BoS holder). That diversity and damage are fun, but tactically don't seem to bring anything to the table that an exalted can for half the price.... when do you really NEED a disk riding, talisman carrying, ogreblade weilding, enchanted shield carrying beast of a lord? WS8, S, T5, W3 A5 with 1+/3++ seems unnecessary.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 (x5)

I would say it is, actually. With an Exalted on a Disc, you can take defense or Stubborn, but not both, and that's a big deal. A Stubborn Chaos Lord with a 1+/3++ can hold up whatever you want for about as long as anything can be expected to be held up. That increase in function makes him ideal for jamming him into a flank until infantry or Knights show up to finish the job, or even taking on ranked-up infantry head-on, numbers be damned. You can play some nice Hero-hammer with the guy.

Also, T5 and 3W gets continually underestimated, but it is a big, big deal. T4 and 2W is significantly more vulnerable, even with the same exact defense line backing it up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast