WoC 8th Handbook anyone? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WoC 8th Handbook anyone?

Hello,
    I'm stuck between Beasts & WoC at the moment, and greatly enjoyed the indept rundown of beasts by rothgar13. I was wondering if there in one for WoC? If someone could supply any tips to starting, what units for viable & what should just be left alone. I know from the beginning WoC is an elite army so every pt. matters. I would appreciate any help.
    Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope, as far as I know, WoC hasn't gotten an 8th ed armybook yet.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x5)

That's not what he's asking, though. He's asking if someone has done an in-depth breakdown of the army the way I've done for Beastmen (glad you're finding it useful, by the way ).

In a sense, WoC is much harder to comprehensively discuss than Beastmen, because the book has many more good choices to be discussed and debated, and a consensus opinion is thus harder to come by. Some people swear by their full-plate armies; others won't leave the house without 100 Marauders. Some people won't touch armybook Lores; others won't bring anything else. Some people stick to their Chaos Lords through thick and thin; others have ditched them in favor of the Sorcerer Lord. You see where I'm going with this. You're unlikely to see an equivalent of my thread for that reason.
    "The best defense is a good offense." -Gen. George S. Patton

My philosophy on gaming, courtesy of Herm Edwards.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Though that can help. Almost nothing in the book is bad. You can run whatever you like the look of.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 (x5)

Yeah, the general tips are don't take Forsaken, don't take Chaos Ogres, and think long and hard before you try Chaos Spawn, Dragon Ogres, Shaggoths, or Giants. Everything else is fair game.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Try checking out THIS THREAD (Starting WoC? Post Questions HERE). It's 30pg long, but just skimming it can give you your answers. Not to mention, feel free to post any questions you have about getting started there - at least one of the vets will answer it. We created it just to keep people from popping in all the time and asking "I'm new, should I take unit [X]?" in a separate thread.

I'm also contemplating creating a "quick-start guide" for the armies that I collect, featuring a 2-2.5k armylist that can be built for ~$250 or less. The only thing that is holding me back is that I might use that idea for a contest between LO users, and the fact that I don't have $250 kicking around right now to create a 'demo' thread.

At the end of the day however, Rothgar has the right idea, mirroring a lot of what you'll hear from the veterans around here. Avoid Forsaken as though they are the plague, and large models like the Giant, Shaggoth, Ogres, and Dragon Ogres, as well as spawn, are all questionable. You will see the occasional player make use of these units, but there are two ways to approach WoC: first, they are the best starter army in the game if you keep things nice and basic, and second, if you are a veteran gamer there are a lot of opportunities to branch out and individualize your army.

I have a few minutes, so I'm going to edit the first post of the 'New to WoC' thread, to put all of my thoughts on the most basic premises into one place.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

Try checking out THIS THREAD (Starting WoC? Post Questions HERE). It's 30pg long, but just skimming it can give you your answers. Not to mention, feel free to post any questions you have about getting started there - at least one of the vets will answer it. We created it just to keep people from popping in all the time and asking "I'm new, should I take unit [X]?" in a separate thread.

I'm also contemplating creating a "quick-start guide" for the armies that I collect, featuring a 2-2.5k armylist that can be built for ~$250 or less. The only thing that is holding me back is that I might use that idea for a contest between LO users, and the fact that I don't have $250 kicking around right now to create a 'demo' thread.

At the end of the day however, Rothgar has the right idea, mirroring a lot of what you'll hear from the veterans around here. Avoid Forsaken as though they are the plague, and large models like the Giant, Shaggoth, Ogres, and Dragon Ogres, as well as spawn, are all questionable. You will see the occasional player make use of these units, but there are two ways to approach WoC: first, they are the best starter army in the game if you keep things nice and basic, and second, if you are a veteran gamer there are a lot of opportunities to branch out and individualize your army.

I have a few minutes, so I'm going to edit the first post of the 'New to WoC' thread, to put all of my thoughts on the most basic premises into one place.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone for you replys. How effective is an all warrior(plate) army? I know that drastically cuts down on bodys, makes a super hard army that's susceptible to gunlines & hordes. Any success?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

140 (x5)

I think CaptainSarathai has had some success with a very plate-heavy army, so maybe he can provide some insight. Personally, I wouldn't touch that army with a 10-foot pole. I'm far too fond of Hordes to consider dropping them and playing what amounts to MSU (though this style of MSU is more forgiving than most, because all your units are tough).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

They can see a lot of success against certain match ups (Greenskins, many Empire builds, and more), but will suffer against others (anyone with the Lore of Metal, Organ Guns, Iron Guts, Skaven because of the Dreaded 13th) as these will wound Warriors just as easily as they wound Marauders, but marauders are 1/3 the cost. Against these powerful tools, Heavy Infantry can be at a disadvantage.

I like to have a mix of both approaches and target different parts of my opponents army with them. I send Marauders at anything that scares the pants off my Warriors (Big thunderstomping monsters, White Lions, Organ Guns, etc). Warriors go against everything else.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast