Wich magic? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wich magic?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wich magic?

Im about to play against Brettonia for the first time (2000 points, ive been up against Beastmen mostly until now) and ive decided to take a Sorcerer Lord. Now I dont know wich magic lore to choose...
    Hes running 20 archers, about 3 squads of 9 Knights (not sure if Errant or Realm), a squad of 9 Grail Knights, i think 2 Damsels, a squad of 5 Questings and hes got a Trebuchet.
    Ive got a squad of 24 Warriors (Halberds/Khorne), only 16 Marauders (im trying to turn them into slow Warhounds, kinda like a living shield), 10 Knights wich im splitting into two squads, 15 Chosen, an Exalted BSB and the Sorcerer Lord.
    Now I dont know if i should be using lorde of metal, death, shadow or maybe go with Tzeentch (i could then mount the Sorc on a disk). The main wquestion here is about the magic but if you have any sugestions about my army setup Im more than willing to hear it out.

Oh, also, im pretty sure hes putting one of the damsels in a unit of Knights and thing is, ive heard she has a scary 3+ ward save against magic (MR2 and a 5+ ward). Well, basically all of his Knights have 5+ ward saves.

Thanks for pointing out that you cant take metal btw.

Last edited by Joysticko; April 30th, 2012 at 22:36.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Poet of the Deed Captain Corrigan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1608 (x8)

This is looking like a job for lore of metal to me with all those heavily armoured knights riding around.

-Corrigan
    Last edited by Captain Corrigan; April 30th, 2012 at 21:41.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chaos Sorcerers cant take Metal, so thats out the windows
    Slaanesh might be a good pick against Bretonia imo, or else Tzeench or Shadow is always good...

Poet of the Deed Captain Corrigan's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1608 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by DasHawk View Post
    Chaos Sorcerers cant take Metal, so thats out the windows
    Slaanesh might be a good pick against Bretonia imo, or else Tzeench or Shadow is always good...
    My apologies then. I wasn't sure, but his post said that he was considering it so I assumed you could.

-Corrigan

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    203 (x5)

Vs. Brets I'd pick:

1. Death - D&D hurts Brets a lot, and sniping a Bret Lord is pure gold [since they are often pretty well tooled for combat!].
    2. Nurgle - Seems tailored for fighting Brets & Empire.

“If you’re in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.” – Bob Paisley

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x2)

Brets are kinda rare around these parts still so I'm not sure how their troops work. If they arn't imunne to psych, I would def take slaneesh. reason being is that the panic bubble spell can/will mess up their battle line, and the delusions will allow you to slow them down/expose a flank. Finally, siezures will slay knights without any saves at all, and I can't imagine their knights being higher than T4 (some of em gotta be T3). the other spells arn't so hot, but could be useful.

My 2nd pick would probably be Nurgal, actually. quagmire and Rot would work well to kill knights and giving your warriors regen will help alot when they get charged (bloody lances/Lance formation!), and curse of the lepar would help make them more squishy. Even plague squall wouldn't be so bad, 3d6 str 1 isn't great but no armour saves is wicked. infact, looking at it now all the damage caused by nurgal is no armour saves, so def the best way to kill off the knights before they get to you.

as far as your compesition goes, it's unconventional but not terrible. the only thing i WTF @ is 2 units of knights. his units of knights will ruin ours based on SCR and #'s of attacks. Lance formation gives them rank bonuses and thus makes them stedfast, plus they got some wonky banners that will ruin your day. I don't think that is a good invenstment, I would bulk up on a horde of GW marauders as they will Def be around for more than one round of combat, and after the lance bonuses wear off puny human knights aren't very scarey at all.

Benevolent Dictator CaptainSarathai's Avatar
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1480 (x8)

I'd say Slaanesh. Personally, I never tailor my list to fight against a particular opponent, even the magic should be chosen "blind" so I go with whatever I would normally take (which happens to be Shadows, or Slaanesh). Slaanesh isn't bad, Delusions will rip apart a Knight regiment from the inside out, but neither lore really walks through armor like you'd want it to. Shadows is mostly wasted, you already having higher Initiative and WS than they do, so it won't help to nerf them. Okkam's will get you straight through their armor though, but that's balanced against Delusions (less damage, but cheaper cost).

Altogether, I'd go with Slaanesh. You shouldn't have any problem taking him out though - 9 Knights aren't very scary when you're killing them first, and then they lose their Lance bonus on the next turn. Ranks of 3 are just asking to lose their bonus. I wouldn't worry much about optimizing against his army. We're a hard match for Brets.
    Pts Values for AoS here!

Nippon Armybook: Isuu, Scribd, and free at Google Docs

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

203 (x5)

In games under 2K, do not underestimate the Brets - they bring the hurt if you don't have the ranks to soak up charges [and his army looks pretty thin ranks-wise].

I've had the pleasure of watching a novice Bret player calmly table an Ogre Kingdom master who had destroyed every opponent until then - with just one block of knights.
    Last edited by Antithesis; May 1st, 2012 at 09:11.

“If you’re in the penalty area and don’t know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we’ll discuss the options later.” – Bob Paisley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have one last question since I cant find a complete answer on the nets.

If one of the damsels (on horse obviously) is in a unit of Knights, does she get a LOS for magic? I know she does for templates and shooting, but for spells that target a specific model for example?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

203 (x5)

It usually says in the spell description. Generally speaking spells that target specific models seldom get a Look Out Sir [Death] , but there is at least one that I know of that does [Metal].

Remember, you need at least 5 models of the same troop type alive in her unit [champions don't count], in your case that would be Cavalry, in order to be eligible for a LoS.

+ Reply to Thread