Starting Hordes Of Chaos! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am looking at a 2000 point army and i need help choosing a chaos god. i'm never going to choose nurgle so dont say it, and i am leaning more towards slaanesh or tzeentch rather than khorne. and i also want to use a mortal army. so can anyone help me out? thanks in advance.

the lictor

It won't - Won't break me
    It won't - Defeat me
    We will - Will break you
    We will - Defeat you

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i went for all of them. Depending on the size of the battle, you want an undivided lord, with a champion with each of the marks. Have a unit of knights to back up those on horseback, and a few chariots. Having an undivided lord lets you have any of the marks, and any daemons as well.

If you arent able to use a lord, then just go for an exalted champion of Slaanesh on a steed. That ought to slaughter any opponent

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Sneaky_Lictor@Nov 17 2004, 12:40
    i am looking at a 2000 point army and i need help choosing a chaos god. i'm never going to choose nurgle so dont say it, and i am leaning more towards slaanesh or tzeentch rather than khorne. and i also want to use a mortal army.
    [snapback]251996[/snapback]
    Tzeentch has the Staff of Change, though you can only get it for your Lord, so you'll not be able to play Undivided.

I'd say decide based on your playing style. Slaanesh seems to be the more powerful lore, but seems to require a better understanding of the game (as it seems to focus on movement and psychology). Tzeentch lore seems to be ranked below Slaanesh by experienced players, but I rather like the spells.

Between red (5+, 30" range) and blue fire (9+, 12" range), you have two magic missile spells that can really turn the tide of battle... or not. Instead of reliable S4 hits like most of the other magic missiles, you get 1d6 S1d6 hits (red fire) or 2d6 S1d6+1 hits (blue fire). Slaanesh has Blissful Throes, which is a much more reliable magic missile. 6+ to cast, 1d6 S6 hits, 12" range (the low casting cost of red fire, the high strength of blue fire, and the range of blue fire).

Tzeentch's offensive spells can only be cast on units that are not yet engaged (Red, Green, Blue and Indigo fire). Green and Indigo fire further rely on the units not having an armor save (Indigo fire also relies on the unit having a low T). Tzeentch magic seems vulnerable to especially armored cavalry, as they can get into close combat quickly and as their high armor save makes green and indigo fire pretty useless.

Slaanesh on the other hand has Enrapturing Spasms. 10+ to cast, 18" range... but most importantly, it can be cast on a unit already engaged in close combat. Can't move, can't shoot, can't cast and can't attack. The only thing the unit can do is flee (but only if forced by a failed break test). They're also hit automatically in combat.

Tzeentch has Yellow Magic. Many players seem to think this a useless spell, but if your spellcaster is inside a unit, it gives a 5+ ward save to the entire unit (the same effect that the 50 point Blasted Banner provides). And then there's Orange Fire, which pretty much makes your character into a cat with 9 lives.

Violet fire seems like a pretty useless spell to me.

For a 2,000 point army, I would try to get a Lord of Tzeentch with the Staff of Change. Costly? Yes. At a base cost of 415 (w/Staff) he accounts for a little more than 20% of your army. When mounted and given additional protection (Golden Eye&#33 he can end up accounting for almost 25% of your army. I think I'll place my Lord on a Disc, allowing him great line of sight for Blue (and Red) fire. With the Golden Eye, a great sword and a shield, that's 499 points (I think). Yikes. But this gets you:
    -a lvl 4 spellcaster (4 spells, hopefully Orange, Green, Indigo and Blue fire)
    -4 power and 2 dispel dice (right?)
    -one reroll for all your dispel dice
    -one reroll for the power dice used for the spells the Lord attempts to cast
    -3+ save vs all missiles
    -a great fighter

With some Marks of Tzeentch on your core units (Warriors, Knights, Chariots, Beasts) and 3 more level 2 spellcasters (Exalted and/or Aspiring Champions with Mark of Tzeentch (170/150 points) or regular lvl 2 Sorcerers (120 points) you WILL dominate the magic phase.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x3)

I am gunning for a Khorne army, I like the idea of a load of really hard guys getting stuck into a fight and ripping it up. I have an orc and goblin army already but they can be so unpredictable, it would be nice to try something that doesn't have animosity
    Helper monkey, bring me beer and donuts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slaanesh is awsome if they are used in the right way. And the models are just great.

I play Slaanesh myself and have won 80%-90% of my games. They are really fun to play with although you do have to think a bit about what you are doing.
    First law of science: don't spit into the wind

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

can someone elpain to me the main difference between slaanesh and tzeetch's magics. i have heard people say both are good but which is best at what? it is between a slaanesh daemon army or a tzeetch mortal army right now so any thought?
    It won't - Defeat me
    We will - Will break you
    We will - Defeat you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Play slanneshi demons. Nobody plays them really but the armys i have seen of them are brutal to the extreme. My only minor victory with my beastmen(no losses yet) was against one of those. Their magic is MUCH better than tzeetch,it helps out your units much more and can devestate your opponents units in subtle yet incredibly powerful ways. Not to mention the spells are all so multi purposed compared to tzeetch. For example you will probly get blue fire off 1 time per game,violet fire will probably NEVER work. No slannesh spell is even close to as limited as that. Plus everyone plays mortal tzeetch and their just boring

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But slaaneshi deamons lack magic protection and hard hitting power (exept the greater deamon), and the deamonettes are a bit frail for their points cost. Plus I'd never want to give up those cool slaaneshi spawn which drive the opponent mad. I'd rather play hordes of chaos with a lot of deamons.
    asquabbling they squandered and gambled
    till dawn did freeze their drunken dice

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the only reason that slaaneshi magic is better is because is is based around magic tnat would affect the opponents mind, while tzeentch has a decent attck spell but mainly support and transformation magic.

when i think about it the slanneshi lore is alot better, but with tzeentch every character is a wizard, that just annoys your opponent.

i'd go for slanneshi daemons because i love the slaanesh daemons, i plan to use tham in a 40k army. the only reason i chose tzeentch was to make up for the lack of range and defense against it, however slaanesh daemon will last alot longer than beasts of chaos so they can tear the enemy aprt by flanking with its speed and winner with its strenght in CC
    i am not a spammer, i merely post replies irrelevant to the topic

there are three things that a beatsman loves to do, fight, drink and "a-hem" the sheep at the local empire settlements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok so i think i am going to do a mortal army with slaaneshii demons so i think im going to need help planning a good 2000 point army, any suggestions?
    It won't - Defeat me
    We will - Will break you
    We will - Defeat you

+ Reply to Thread