Librarium Online Forums banner

Blocks of Horsemen?

664 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  CaptainSarathai 
#1 ·
Good morning, all.

Would you consider, a block of Horsemen?

I was pondering the idea of :

1. A unit of 15, or 18.

2. Shields and spears.

3. MoS

4. At least a musician, but I may go with a FC.

I'd like them to still count, as fast cavalry .

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance :beer:

#2 ·
I tried a unit of 20 and can't say I was very impressed by them. They do provide a nice amount of ranks for combo charges with Knights and Chariots but other than that they're not overly useful as they wont be winning many combats of their own. You could add an Exalted on Steed of Slaanesh though to add some 'Ooomph' though which might be fairly effective although you're getting quite expensive then.

#4 ·
There are two ways that I feel they can fielded successfully. Either as a vanguarding 'Line Breaker' unit, or as ranks for a faster army.

As a linebreaker, it's not just the MCav, but also an Exalted on a Steed of Slaanesh and kitted to provide a lot of hitting power, usually with almost no solid defenses of his own. The MCav are either Slaanesh or just entirely unmarked, I normally give them Javelins and then Spears or Flails. The idea of the unit is to Vanguard forward and threaten an area of the battlefield. If you get the first turn, then you throw Javelines and maybe Flaming Breath a unit. If you get second turn, then you plow into a medium enemy regiment with the express intent of removing some of your opponent's support options and breaking through into the back of his army.
Cavalry units look big on the table, and with a character with them they are even more intimidating. If your opponent isn't experienced enough (as a player, or simply with MCav) this unit can lock down a whole flank of the battle for a turn or two. I've seen it happen against Skaven players in the past - he stuttered and spent two turns shooting the regiment to death while the rest of my army advanced unmolested. Against an Empire list he didn't let them slow him down, but I slammed them through a detachment of 20 Swordsmen, and once I overran them I split the character out and had an Exalted and block of MCav running amok through his artillery, Handguns/XBows, and getting +2CR Rear-charges on later combats.
Yes, it's an expensive unit to basically "throw away", since a skilled opponent won't often let you use them for what you intended - they'll end up shot, magicked, dashed against a stronger anvil, or just directed away from the battle. Still, it's one way to use MCav.

The other option is what they've stated above- throw all of the armor on them and use them to cover the only weakness of our Crusher/Chimera/Prince armies: provide ranks. I've done this in the past, as has Borak I believe. The idea of course is to throw them into combat with a couple of ranks on them and just try not to die. The Crushers and other big hitters will provide the kills to win the battle, but the MCav are there to make sure that the enemy isn't Steadfast. I hate winning combat by literally 25pts against a block of ClanRats and then finding out that my opponent is still testing on Ld7 because he's Steadfast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.