Nurgle Chosen Knights - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

Nurgle Chosen Knights

You always hear people talking about Khornate Chosen Knights? Why not about Nurgle Chosen Knights?

The common trick of luring them into difficult terrain, having them running after fast cavalry for the rest of the game or into a set up charge won't work as they aren't Frenzied.

A unit of 12 Knights has US 24. They cause fear, you see it coming? Yes, autobreak from outnumbering. Even units of 30 strong, like Empire regiments, Skaven, Undead or Greenskins won't be a problem. You just kill at least 6 of them, no problem. And winning combat isn't to difficult too, having 25 WS5 S5 and 12 WS3 S4 attacks.
    They will be running, and you being cavalry will chase and probably overrun.

Of course you need to screen them with lets say 5 Marauder Horsemen, no upgrades.
    And having them supported on the flank by 6 Marauder Horsemen with flails, shields and a musician is nice too. They can hold of flank attacks or flank attack themselves. Doing the last thing they'll give chase with M8.

Okay, lets say you get 2 of these forces (12 Knights, 5 MH, 6 MH). You stick a cheap Aspiring Champion in one of them and maybe get a Sorcerer for some magic defense. Then you add as much Warhound units (5 or 6 Hounds each) as you can, aim at 4 or 5 of them. They'll delay the other enemy units.
    The Knights with their support with smash one army flank, or split up and each take one flank. The Hounds will sacrifise themselves to delay the rest.

I think it would come close to 2k? What do you think?

Tai'shar

Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Tabletop Terraformer Tzeentch Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x4)

Good observations Araith, I completely agree. Nurgle chosen knights are possibly better than Khorne chosen knights for all the reasons you've just mentioned; They can't be lured or diverted, they have more than enough high strength attacks and they cause Fear (which, let's be honest, all chaos knights should really, I think anyone would wet themselves if they got charged by a huge unit of the Dark Gods' finest! :eek: ).
    The only down side is that a big unit of them (or even a modest unit for that matter) is incredibly expensive.

You don't even need to use any special tactics really, just choose a vulnerable part of the enemy line and try to break through it. Although having them supported by marauder horsemen and warhounds is always good.
    "Peace, through superior firepower."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And winning combat isn't to difficult too, having 25 WS5 S5 and 12 WS3 S4 attacks.
    You aren't going to have a line of 12 knights running around and if you do, all of them will not be in combat. I would have 5 in the front rank, 5 in the second rank and 2 in the back just in case your opponent kills a couple you will still have a rank bonus.

You always hear people talking about Khornate Chosen Knights? Why not about Nurgle Chosen Knights?
    So, after you take in consideration that you are going to have ranks, would you rather have 16 attacks, or 11? With 16 attacks with the stats that the knights have(and the horses), you should win combat by a lot and you won't need the fear.

And whats wrong with charging when you don't really want to? With that many attacks and those stats, they shouldn't care when or who they charge.

The only down side is that a big unit of them (or even a modest unit for that matter) is incredibly expensive.
    It is both expensive $ and points. The only reason I don't use knights is because they are 50$ a box(I never usually have money, but that will change soon because I just got a job).
    <-- that room over there in my avatar is full of people who think you are funny...BURN...

"There are some who call me...Tim?" - Tim the Enchanter

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x5)

Sorry about those attacks, I wasn't thinking right. I had either a line of 5 or one of 6 wide in mind.
    So either 11 WS5 S5 + 5 WS3 S4 or 13 WS5 S5 + 6 WS3 S4 attacks.

I was aiming at ranks, for extra CR and US, for certain victory and destruction.

As I said in my first post.
    How would you like to have a, let's say a unit of 6 Khornate Knights with a hero, rounding up at 450 points (?), running for an entire game after a unit of M9 fast cavalry?
    Or having them drawn into a wood by a tiny unit of scouts? Which'll then take them at least 3 turns to get out.
    Or being lured into a large unit of Ironbreakers, to be charged by great weapon wielding Dwarfs the next turn?
    With Nurgle you've got no such trouble.

But it just occured to me why you never hear about these Nurgle Chosen Knights. When people want to charge in and massacre things, they don't even think about Nurgle. Khorne is standard. Too bad, they're missing a superb thing IMO.

Tai'shar
    Lance Leader of the LO Codex: Wasters design team

Forged in fire, bonded in ice
    Son of Fenris, Son of Russ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reason I see no problem in charging from the khorne rule is because none of my opponents lure anything khorne into woods or anything. I play a khorne army, and my opponents first target is always my chosen warriors. They always just send their best unit and hero(sometimes multiple units) at it and shoot everything at it. I have never had troubles with being lured into anything I didn't want to charge.
    <-- that room over there in my avatar is full of people who think you are funny...BURN...

"There are some who call me...Tim?" - Tim the Enchanter

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Tabletop Terraformer Tzeentch Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x4)

Then it seems that all your opponents are either quite inexperienced or aren't smart enough to grasp such subtle strategies. Lucky you! I've not lost against a Khorne army yet, mainly because the ones I've faced are loaded up with Knights, chosen and tooled up heroes and have so few units that their tactics involve little except heading directly for my units. Then it's a simple matter of using the terrain and getting them to charge what I want them to, and hitting them in the flanks with my heavies when they fail a charge. And since I have more units, I have more tactical options. Of course, it also helps when a very lucky Blue Fire spell wipes out a frighteningly large Chosen knights unit... :cool:

When I've faced a Nurgle army though, the enemy isn't nearly so predictable, and I have to deal with the fear, which can throw a nasty spanner in the works of an otherwise genius multiple charge attack-type-thing. :huh: I know what I'm on about...
    "Peace, through superior firepower."

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x3)

Khorne knights rule, in a stand up fight they just kill stuff outright. The luring thing is over rated as chaos have their own fast cavalry that can prove an effective screen by blocking line of sight to enemy fast cav units and effectively funnel the knights forwards to what you need them to hit. Also while your opponent is doing his best to stop the knights youahve a block of warriors happily yomping up the field who are also ready to kill everything they see. Flank charging a unit af chaos warriors can be more hazardous to the charging unit as the khorne guys won't panic and unless you kill all the troops in the side will hit you back pretty hard.

12 knights is also a crazy amount to have in one unit, it means effectively you are paying around 250 points for a second rank which gives +1 to combat resolution when what you should have is 2 units of 5 or 6. Gives much more flexibility that way.
    Helper monkey, bring me beer and donuts

+ Reply to Thread