DoW Shooting in Chaos Armies - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

DoW Shooting in Chaos Armies

Out of the three shooting units that arn't cannons we can take, which ones do you think are the most effective?

1. Pistol Duelists
    2. Crossbowmen
    3. Light Cavalry with Bows

Trying to decide what to use in my mounted cav army.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x6)

If your looking for a static shooting unit for your army, I'd recommend crossbowman. If you looking for mobility with some shooting, i'd go with the cavalry. I would only use the duelists if you do not use beastman.... as too may skirmishers can prove hectic. Personally, I would opt for the Light Cav to fit the theme.... or the Crossbowman to add consistent shooting.
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Is the light cav worthwhile though? Crossbowmen get double the shots at S4 (relative to point cost)... and I can't think of many uses for light cav bow that a marauder horsemen unit couldn't fill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

106 (x6)

Crossbowman only get double shots at str 4 if they are carrying repeater crossbows. These are only carried by the dark elves. The DOW crossbowman get a 30 inch Str 4 shot at move or fire, Dark Elves get 24 inch double shot options at move or fire. Also realize a Maruarder horseman has a throwing axe which is range 8", a light cav has the bow options range 24. It matter's what you are going to use them for. Figure out the roles then add up the points. Either way your looking at a rare choice, so depending what your point size is for the game you may want to consider:
    Spawn with mark of slaanesh
    DOW Cannon
    Halfing hotpot
    Galloping guns
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by MouseC112
    Crossbowman only get double shots at str 4 if they are carrying repeater crossbows. These are only carried by the dark elves. The DOW crossbowman get a 30 inch Str 4 shot at move or fire, Dark Elves get 24 inch double shot options at move or fire. Also realize a Maruarder horseman has a throwing axe which is range 8", a light cav has the bow options range 24. It matter's what you are going to use them for. Figure out the roles then add up the points. Either way your looking at a rare choice, so depending what your point size is for the game you may want to consider:
    Spawn with mark of slaanesh
    DOW Cannon
    Halfing hotpot
    Galloping guns
    No, I mean double shots relative to point cost.
    You can get 10 xbows for pretty much the same cost as 5 light cav.
    Sorry if it's not clear.

Also, what exactly is the specific role the light cav w/ bow fills? I'm not very clear on it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

106 (x6)

Well you can use the to march block and shoot into the sides of unit without being charged back. In addition, they can warmachine hunt or be character snipers. Chaos players usually would use marauder horseman to a similar degree however maraurder horseman have a limited range and DOW horseman have standard bow range. In addition DOW cav are excellent at flank charging....maraurder horseman are a little more pricey for the same role but more effective.

What role are you trying to fill by the way? There are other DOW choices that offer shooting that you are not considering.
    Last edited by MouseC112; June 10th, 2005 at 22:50.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Wouldn't marauder horsemen with throwing axes be better for march blocking? I'm gonna have to be within 8" anyways.

I'm just looking for something to take out a few ranks and tip CR in my favour, maybe create panic (unlikely). I have furies and screamers for character/WM hunting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crossbowmen are probably best for causing casualities, though they dont fit with the theme... Maybe consider a galloper gun? (ive never used it, but i know that horses are involved :p)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

106 (x6)

Problem with maraurder horseman is that they are over priced in points cost for what they do...in my opinion. Adding in throwing axes and shields your getting up to around 20pts a model. If your going to take that many points on a march blocker might as well make it the DOW ones and give them bows that way you have a better range. remember if your 4 inches away your long range with a throwing axe. Plus the DOW ones have a few more roles on the battle field. THey can march block, shoot into the flanks for units and lob annoying shots from over 20 inches away....more likely to make up the poitns cost.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Throwing axes are thrown weapons, so they dont suffer penalties for long range. Also there is no penalty for shooting and moving, which is wonderful. Not to mention S4!!!

I think they're great :cool:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast