Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
I'll list my questions in order, lol, ---
1. What is the main objective in most chaos armies for the maradurs? Are they serving as flanking units, screens, support or are they there just to tie things up.
2. What is the best unit size for the maradurs? I notice they come in 16, and I have no clue how big I should field the units. (Ex. warriors come with 12, but best regiment size is 16) How is this with the maradurs?
3. Should I field four or five up front?
4. Is the chief worth taking, or is it just a waste of a couple points?
5. What is the best equipment to buy for these guys? Mostly flails or something?
Thanks in advance for awnsering my questions.
Well I don't play chaos personally, but I do have some experience with fighting against marauders, so here is an enemies perspective.
1) They are there to make up numbers and to support the powerful chaos warrior units, absorb shooting, protect flanks etc
2) It depends on their role. If they are flanking, a unit of 15 with flails or great weapons would suffice. As a holding unit 24 with light armour and shields are quite durable, as they will get a 4+ armour save in close combat, so that horsemen or chaos warriors can flank!!
3) I would suggest a frontage of 5, as if they are charged they could need some damage resistance, so they can suffer 3 wounds and still hit back!!
4) It depends on the role. Flankers should only have a musician, where as holding units should have full command
5) Answered in question 2
I hope this helps
New LOChat functions now avaliable.
Need a list designed for any Fantasy army: Click Here
Marauders aren't great as a flanking unit, since they aren't really maneuverable enough. They are best used as a block of cheap combat troops (armed with hand weapons, light armour and shields) to pin enemy infantry in place so you can flank with Minotaurs, Chaos Knights, Dragon Ogres, etc. As such, they should always have full command (including the chieftain, he's definately worth the extra 10pts!).
I hear of lots of players using them as 'screens' for other troops, this is a bit stupid because they're too useful to just throw away. Warhounds are much better as screens; cheaper, faster and more maneuverable.
"Peace, through superior firepower."
But Marauders can be used as flank troops or in rare cases shock troops as flails can wreck havoc on the charge. I normally always have a chieftain as an attack could mean a extra wound. For equipment it depends on their role. If they are to hold enemies up shields and if they are an assault unit give them flails. If you give them dont bother with the light armour. I agree with you on the screens, marauders are to precious to throw away.
Just cause marauders are weaker than most of the other chaos troops doesnt mean they are throwaway troops- they are basic core troops like Brettonian Men at Arms, Empire Halbediers etc etc , and used properly can be very useful to add some weight to your low model count Chaos armies
PLAN CLAN MAN!!
He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- S. Johnson
I find blocks of 20 can hold up most attackers ranging from cavalry charge (if your a little lucky) to almost all rank and file troops. Units of 10 are great with flails for the strength bonus. In a unit of 20 i'd go with the chief, in a unit of 10 with flails I would if i had the points to spare. Blocks of 20 I try to go with light armor, shield, and hw, 4+ save really holds up in close combat.
40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)
i use 2 big blocks of warriors (20 a piece) as the core of my force naturally but
i use i use a big block of marauders (25 men) with HW, LA and Shields to protect one flank with my chariots protecting the other
Marauders optimal size for me is 20-25.
They should bearmed with Full Command, Light Armour and Shields. At 7 Points Each, they're damn Effective.
Units of 15 with Great Weapons/Flails and Cheiftan work well, provided they charge into a flank, they can break units.
Marauders are great, and in my opinion, all Chaos Armies should have at least 3 units (2 in Border Patrol). That way they have numbers, which are important.
"The streets a flame, the people in flame,
The Apolapsy Four Ride out again.
The flame of Hell are freezing over,
And Heaven is falling out of the sky!
Is it any wonder that the world is going to burn in a cleansing flame?
Is it any wonder that the world is coming to a realigious end?"