Chaos Spawns? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chaos Spawns?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chaos Spawns?

Do you think chaos spawns are useful, would you use one, and why?
    I am thinking of adding 1 only 1 because i wouldnt have the points so please take this into consideration, with mark of slaanesh, what do you think?

Thanks for your replys

-Hrath Dreadaxe-

....or is it Sam?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Tabletop Terraformer Tzeentch Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x4)

This is from my website, but I think it just about sums up spawns.

Spawn are difficult models to use because their movement and attacks are so random, and as such they cannot be relied upon. However, they are useful for protecting the flanks of the army (provided they don’t stand about dribbling for too long...) since their movement will average about 6-7" per turn (seven being the most common number rolled on two dice) and they are quite tough. On various different occasions, I’ve had my chaos spawn hold up stone trolls (for 3 turns before collapsing into mush), an undead spirit host (which he couldn’t even hit because they're ‘ethereal’), an entire unit of Tomb Kings cavalry (until the marauders arrived to finish the job) and 4 Chaos knights (he caught them in the flank, but was killed by a chariot). He's also absorbed the shooting from half a wood elf army and survived until the end of that game!

A basic spawn is good enough in most circumstances, but sometimes they need that little bit extra. The upgrades available to spawn are of variable usefulness. The two most useful are the Khorne and Slaanesh upgrades, extra strength is great for wounding rolls and negatives to armour saves, and 3D6 movement is excellent for getting your spawn moving faster.

Less useful are the Tzeentch and Nurgle upgrades. I’ve experimented with the Tzeentch fire breath attack and found it to be less than effective. To do any real damage, the situation must meet certain criteria; the target must be of low toughness and have little or no armour (i.e. not dwarfs!), be a large block of troops and be at just the right range to get maximum coverage from the flame template. This doesn’t happen often anyway and usually only once a game before the Spawn gets into combat and either stays there or dies. In short, don’t bother. The poisoned attacks from Nurgle spawn can be good, but it only makes it worthwhile paying the 15 points if you think you can generate enough 6s when rolling to hit.
    "Peace, through superior firepower."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

106 (x6)

Pretty much agreeing with Tzeentch lord on this one. The most useful ones are Slaanesh and Khorne. I have found the 3D6 movement is usually enough to get it where you need it to be. Their wonderfully unbreakable and can hold units up, 2 spawns vs a unit can spell a nightmare for anyone. However at times they are awful and are easy victory points. Guess that comes with the territory though.
    40K-Beakies(9-14-4),Guard(4-7-2),Orks(34-12-11). FANTASY-Dwarves(15-6-7),Beasts (14-14-1), Skaven (17-17-10) DoC (6-1-2). CYGNAR (28-15-1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

The only use I can find to a spawn is is unbreakable status, very helpful in a beastmen or marauder heavy chaos army, he'll hold regardless of who hits him, but the random movement just comes to bit you in the groin when you don't expect it to do so.

Maybe for fluff reasons at best?
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    198 (x7)

As one of my Regular opponents is a wood elf player and 2 more of my regular opponents are high elves, I think I meet the criteria for the tzeench one, but it says that tzeench chaos spawns take the form of firewryrms. What would be the best model to represent on of them? Is the dark elf dragon too big? I ask this specifically because I could buy it off my dark elf friend who mirated over to 40k.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Bogan
    Teno, you are so godlike I almost creamed my pants!
    Tenozuma - The Burninator... I came, I saw, I posted.
    Dark Eldar player.

Feel free to PM if you want any advice or help with anything.
    Assume everything I say has a "what I think" disclaimer.

Hang out with all the other Aussie and NZ members at The ANZAC Clan.
    Need advice, want to talk warhammer or just want a laugh? Come on LO Chat. http://www.librarium-chat.com/

Tabletop Terraformer Tzeentch Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

109 (x4)

Yeah, a dragon sized thing is a big too big. You want something that is about the same size as the regular spawn, but with lots of heads and orifices that look like they could be spraying flames. Even though you're playing against low toughness, low armour elves, I still think the Tzeentch upgrade is a waste of points. The elves (particularly of the wood variety) don't have big enough units to cover with the flame template. The ideal target for a firewyrm flame attack is a 25+ unit of goblins or skaven. Even better would be skinks, but they skirmish (unless they happen to be red crested or southlands skinks).
    "Peace, through superior firepower."

+ Reply to Thread