Norse Marauders Army Idea - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    100 (x5)

Norse Marauders Army Idea

I've always wanted to play a Norscan army, but I couldn't be buggered working out individual rules and making a whole new army, so I thought I'd just base it off Chaos. This was re-inforced by the fact that the Norse Lord and Hero rules came out in White Dwarf 308, so I decided to make a Chaos Marauder listled by a Norse Hero.

The reason why this isn't an actual list, and therefore placed in the Hordes of Chaos army list section, is because I'm still planning it, and would appreciate Chaos players thoughts about what I should take in the army, fluff, conversion etc.

So, I'm definitely going to take all Mortals. I'll have units like Marauders, Maruder Cavalry and Warhounds, but I'm not so sure about Chaos Warriors or Knights, they don't seem to suit the theme I was going for.

I was tossing up between giving them the mark of Khorne, or leaving them Undivided but I decided on the latter due to the fact that the Norse worship all of the 4 gods equally, and it will cost less points.

Some things I'm not sure about (Never having played Chaos before) are what to equip them with (eg, flails, greatswords, spears etc.) what kind of Wargear to take, what numbers to take them in and so on.

Fluff-wise, I'd say they'd come from Norsca itself, rather than Skeggi (It's too hot down there) mainly because I want to give 'em all big fur cloaks and have snow on their bases and stuff like that. But that would mean they would have to be pirates, (otherwise I'd just be fighting empire all the time due to geograophical reasons) and would effectively rule out the use of horsemen which I so dearly want. I'm not sure about this...

For conversions, it's not like a great deal needs to be done other than horns on the helmets, snow on the bases, fur cloaks etc. but I'd like some good ideas to make them really individual.

I was thinking of something like this for 1000 points-(I'll leave all the equipment and stuff blank cos I'm not sure of what to give em. Also, don't worry, I have the Chaos Army book, so you don't need to tell me everything about the unit)

-Norse Marauder Aspiring Champion (These guys can ride Cold ones, by the way)

-20x Maruders (Maybe flails?)

-20x Marauders(Maybe flails?)

-10x Marauder Horsemen (Flails and throwing axes?)

-10x Marauder Horsemen (Flails and throwing axes?)

-10x Warhounds

-10x Warhounds

Any good? All comments on everything appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Visitor Q View Post
    By the powers I have just made up I, hereby award you with the Signature
    LO's Offical Uber GM
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverMane View Post
    dr_nick you are LO's GMing god!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The idea is great! I've already got an almost finished norscan "elite" army, with the most fanatical chaos worshipers.

For a normal norse theme army, search on google. Northern mythology and vikings should inspire you for conversions. Perhaps give them a dwarf style.

Marauders should be the core of the army, but if you want an even more fluffy army, take some chaos ogres and trolls and maybe a giant (there are lots of these creatures in Norsca).
    Something really cool would be to make a new unit, the legendary Werekin. I've read a story of werekin (half wolf half human) attacking a high-elf patrol. Perhaps you can use bestigor rules, as this would't be cheesy because chaos can take bestigors anyway.

Perhaps Liber Chaotica can give you some ideas? The khorne section has something about Norscans.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    178 (x3)

I use an all Marauder army myself (though it does worship Chaos)

A common feature of the old Norse army was Werewolves, they can be nicely represented in your army by Beastmen. Dogs of War- Norse Marauders can represent Berserkers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    450 (x8)

I thought, in the new fluff, the Norse just fell under the blanket of northern tribes which worship chaos and are classed as marauders. In fact, I'd guess chaos warriors would be a perfectly reasonable addition, since they are generally drawn from these tribes themselves, and the historical norse elite were usually pretty well armoured (nothing to stop you modelling them differently to make them look viking-esque though.)

Historically, the norse did bring horses with them when they went raiding. Scandinavian horses generally weren't as big as European ones.
    Last edited by The_Giant_Mantis; October 5th, 2005 at 22:46.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, The_Giant_Mantis, you are right, and that is what I have based my army on.

Historically, the norse did bring horses with them when they went raiding. Scandinavian horses generally weren't as big as European ones.
    Thats true, our horses are so tiny! But historically, the norse peoples were quite small too. They prefered to ride sheeps lol

+ Reply to Thread