units 4 or 5 wide??? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

units 4 or 5 wide???

I was just wondering, how many figures wide u guys make your units of marauders and warriors? 4 seems liek the standard convention for warriors but im seeing alot of varation in marauders. The pictures in the army book are mixed 4 and 5. the box comes with 16 (4x4) but archaons rules are based at 25? just wondering thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

5-6 is best for warriors. This allows them to deal out maximum damage (although I have one unit 4 x 4...which I really should change). Marauders aren't my thing

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i can see 5..because when lined up against bases of their own size then u could have 5 attackers on the front line vs 4 because your 5 need to be staggered. but 6 would just have 1 extra guy dangleing out the side and he wouldnt be able to attack when up against a unit that is 4 wide right?

X equals me
    Z equals oppenent

XXXX 4v4 =4 attacks each
    ZZZZ

XXXXX 5 v4 i get 5 attacks he gets 4
    .ZZZZ

XXXXXX or XXXXXX 6v 4 i still get only 5 attacks ...is this correct?
    ZZZZ.....or....ZZZZ

but 6v5 would agaian give u an extra attack...hmm whats does everyone think??m which do u prefer?
    Last edited by fingerbang; October 13th, 2005 at 02:32.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Using Your Example of X's and Z's.

Would you not Line up Like so

X X X X X X
    ...Z Z Z Z

Allowing both Corners to attack.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x3)

Thats right, if 4 models of equal base size are in combat with 6 models with the same bases they would be lined up sp that the overlapping models can hit corner to corner.

I still don't tend to use more than 5 as it uses up less movement when doing stuff like wheeling. With a frontage of 6 the end guy has to move further to end up with the same facing as a unit with 5.
    Helper monkey, bring me beer and donuts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ohh so if the corners are touchign u can hit too?

Tabletop Terraformer Tzeentch Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x4)

Yes, corner to corner is still base contact, read the 'Who can fight' bit in the close combat section. Plus, when moving units into combat with each other, you must align them so that you get the most models fighting (from both sides, not just yours). And I think you have to align the units centrally against each other anyway.

As for how many models wide;

I strongly disagree with Rork when it comes to Chaos warriors, I usually try to field about 18-20 Chaos warriors in a unit (points permitting) and in order to get the maximum rank bonus (and a few extra to absorb casualties), I have the unit four models wide. Even though my warriors have hand weapons and shields (for the excellent armour save) and are not usually chosen, I still think rank bonus is more important than an extra attack from a fifth model. This is mainly due to the fact that whether it's wounds caused or rank bonus, it still adds up to the same combat resolution, and rank bonus is automatic (and if you have the models, guaranteed), whereas wounds are uncertain.

Marauders are similar, I usually use a unit of 20-25, with the unit 5-models wide. Since there's more models in a marauder unit, I can afford to have them 5-wide and still get my maximum rank bonus. Plus with marauders, the extra attack does help a bit, because their attacks are less likely to cause damage than those of the warriors.

I don't think I'd ever have a unit of infantry 6 models wide for the reasons outlined by Lurch, plus the cost would be huge for a unit of Chaos troops in such a formation (assuming you'd bought enough to get the rank bonus as well). Warhounds are probably the only exception to this.
    "Peace, through superior firepower."

+ Reply to Thread