Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
I've been thinking of putting a Fantasy army together at some point in the future. I was intending on getting at least one of my 40k armies finished before moving onto this. However, my local comic shop has put all of it's boxes of Fantasy models on sale for 80% of retail. Not enough of a discount to make me instantly buy everything on the shelf, but enough that I'm considering making a few purchases early.
I'm considering going with either Dwarves or Hordes of Chaos as my army. One of the big appeals I see to going with Chaos is that there is a fair deal of overlap for the models between HoC and Chaos SMs. The demons certainly overlap if I work around the issue of round vs. square bases. Even the Warrior models may be usable in both if I use magnets to trade the arms around, although I'm less confident about how that'll turn out.
So what I'm wondering is if demon-heavy lists are viable in both Fantasy and 40k formats? It seems like taking such an approach severely limits your core choices unless you use Chaos Undivided. Putting together a list that can be played in both formats would be a little anti-climatic if it ended up sucking in both.
Thanks a lot for your help with this.
I also wanted to mention what I was hoping to get out of an army. I bring this up as an aside in case it's more appropriately asked elsewhere. What I'm looking for is:
- Something that can be played as a beginner, fairly brainless army at first. With time, I would like to be able for it to evolve into something more intricate.
- Fairly easy to paint basic troops. Fantasy seems to run more models than 40k, and I don't want to spend hundreds of hours painting my grunts.
- Nice leaders/command squads/special units to paint up. I need to have somewhere to spend all the time saved on my simple to paint troops.
- The ability to pull in other lists as allies, or as alternate lists. I'm unable to stick to one thing, so I really like having the ability to move around a bit without completely starting over.
- A mix of foot sloggers and cavalry. I'd like some complexity to my manuevering, once I get the hang of it.
- Magic and shooting are nice and all, but I'm not overly concerned about it. I'd like a little bit of one or the other so I have some ranged capability, but I'm more interested in dancing my units across the field of battle.
Frankly, Chaos seems to fit everything fairly well. I'm a little less certain on the Dwarves, although I've always had a soft spot in my heart for the short races.
From what you want, I'd recommend the Chaos box. I really want to start a Dwarf army myself, but they're not too flexible (of course I hear a new Codex is on the way, so things may be changing)
Here's the upside for Chaos:
1. Cool looking models
2. Easy to paint/easy to play: Black primer and drybrushed Chainmail works wonders on Warriors & Knights. Or you can spend ages on each model, either way.
3. Variety of troops: Chaos may be the best army in Warhammer for this, you have Hordes of Chaos, Beasts of Chaos, and Storm of Chaos. You can try just about any bizarre combination you want.
4. Magic vs. troops: you can play any way you want. Tzeentch can field an insane number of power/dispel dice in a small, elite army. Or you could take Crom the Conqueror and hit the field with hundreds of psych re-rolling Marauders.
5. Usefulness of Daemons in 40k? Dunno, just started 40k myself.
6. Daemon heavy Fantasy lists: Check Storm of Chaos Codex for ways to field pure Daemon armies. Very cool, IMO.
Now that I think about it, you could always field the Marauders as Dogs of War Norse Marauders in your Dwarf army, and vice versa field the Dwarves as Dogs of War Dwarves in your Chaos army. So my final recommendation is this: if the Chaos and Dwarf boxed sets are 80% off, BUY BOTH!
Last edited by TheManichaean; October 26th, 2005 at 14:10.
Your logic is insane and happenstance.
Aren't dwarves being redone next? I hear they have a new codex and such coming out soon. It might be best to wait on them for now.
I can safely say though that chaos warriors are some of the funnest models to paint I have ever worked on in warhammer. Yes I'm spending over an hour on each one, but they have sooo much potential to look great. My completed ones are awesome. If you like painting, definately start up some chaos.
I've looked between the two armies a fair deal. I suspect Chaos fits what I'd like to play better, but I've not really gotten a good vibe off the fluff. Dwarves I can get into, but I just don't see it with Chaos.
Any good recommendations for places to look for some interesting, fun Chaos fluff? I'm really trying to avoid bouncing around several armies, so I want to really beat a dead horse into glue before I leave it alone.
Now, onto figuring out how to get my laptop to stop trying to use every single wireless network it finds, and to just settle down and use -mine-. I love computers. Honest. I really do. They make very satisfying crunching noises.
yea dwarfs are going to be new...new models and an army book. the back issue of the white dwarf has a pic of soemthign dwarfish (soem shadowy picture) and it says "coming soon" your games workshop might even have a model or two on display...mine does