Marauders: what weapon(s) option? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x2)

Marauders: what weapon(s) option?

A question regarding the Chaos Marauders: what weapons and equipment do you give them?

My Marauder unit is going to consist out of 20+ models, and have five per rank.

I'm planning on giving them flails: +2 strength (in the first round of combat only).
    I could give them light armor but I'm not sure about that (is going to cost 20+ points).

Looking at points and effectiveness, what would you give your Marauders?

------------------------------------
    Innovation suffuses this hobby like a tea bag in the boiling water of play.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have 2 units of those at the moment, 1 unit has cc weapon/shield/lightarmor. that gives some abilityto survive basic troopers with spears and stuff. the other has flails and nothing else. I haven't used those guys because they are not painted yet. but I think they would kick ass.
    If those guys ever get painted I want to make a 3rd unit with great weapons. Just for the cool looks.
    I wouldn't give 2 handed-weapon guys light armor, a 6+ save or no save at all doesn't make a big difference. A lot of stuff just ignores such crappy armor anyway.
    Chaos does not need explaining! guess what? Chaos cannot be explained!
    Quote Originally Posted by BobaHat
    Chaosdude is a dutch, heretic surfer who hangs around the red light district picking up daemonettes..

Tabletop Terraformer Tzeentch Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x4)

My Marauders always have hand weapons, light armour and shields. Sure they've only got one S3 attack each, but they have WS4, I4 and a 4+ armour save which is pretty good for basic troops. They're much more effective when you have a Chaos hero leading them, his combat prowess benefits the unit, and they form a cheap bodyguard for him (plus they get to use his leadership).

Giving Marauder infantry flails is completely pointless, especially for a 20+ unit. You've got 5 men per rank, and since flails only work in the first round of combat (whether or not you charged), after that the rest of the troops are back down to S3 attacks and no armour saves.

Even great weapons are preferable to that, at least with those you get the strength bonus all the time (although with no armour and striking last, you'll be lucky to have many men left to strike back when it's your go...)
    "Peace, through superior firepower."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when u are looking to dress marauders you first need to ask yourself what they are supposed to do.

i fidn they work best as beign a big block of troups that absorb missle fire and hopefully warmachien fire. after that they are good to tie up oppenets who avoid armor saves, have a few powerful modeels, or can trade a few attacks for 1 powerfull attack. (trolls or ogres). these guys have the power toi smash a descent unit of warriors that are 2 and a half times their point cost. marauders can tie them up untill knights can sweep into them froma rear charge

in thsi case they dotn need flails or great weapons, and benifit from armor and shields (defense agaisnt archers). thats how i dress my marauders

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x2)

It's a good thing that I hadn't build my Marauders yet!

Thanks for the advice, I'm going for the hand weapon + shield combo and build
    a 20+ (preferably 25) unit.

How about full command (or less)?
    ------------------------------------
    Innovation suffuses this hobby like a tea bag in the boiling water of play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Tzeentch Lord
    My Marauders always have hand weapons, light armour and shields. Sure they've only got one S3 attack each, but they have WS4, I4 and a 4+ armour save which is pretty good for basic troops. They're much more effective when you have a Chaos hero leading them, his combat prowess benefits the unit, and they form a cheap bodyguard for him (plus they get to use his leadership).
    Yea very true-
    But where do you get the 4+ armoour save?
    Light armour 6+
    Light armour + shield 5+ Or maby im wrong?

Marauders rockS!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In CC a shield + hand weapon combo gives another +1 save, since it's easy to defend yourself with that weapon-combo.
    (That was the reasoning behind the rule...)
    Chaosdude is a dutch, heretic surfer who hangs around the red light district picking up daemonettes..

The Dvl in Pale Moonlight danceman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x3)

in big blocks of 20-25 i would go with LA, shields and hand weapons + full command.

for smaller 10-12(no command) i would use flails, extremely cheap yet hardhitting with a good WS as well.

flails could be used with the big units too but i wouldnt use it unless i´m charging(better to keep models alive for ranks and numbers when charged).

marauder horsemen i always give them flails + a muiscan, this is one awesome unit at only 81pts.
    ""What's the matter? Don't ya like clowns? Don't we make ya laugh?" - Captain Spaulding.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by chaosdude
    In CC a shield + hand weapon combo gives another +1 save, since it's easy to defend yourself with that weapon-combo.
    (That was the reasoning behind the rule...)
    Ah okej.. CC means closecombat or right? :tongue:
    Wow... This means.. wow.. so everything that has shield and hand weapn gets 1+ more save. that´s includes on foot and mounted?
    If so, then fo example chosen chaosnights that are in "cc" has an 0+ save???

If soo.. BRUTAL!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No sorry, only works for guys on foot.
    PS
    CC did mean Close Combat.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast