Help Me Kill Dwarves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help Me Kill Dwarves

i play chaos hardcore(mostly mortals) and my friend always stomps me out using dwarves. ive used screens of warhounds, herds, and marauders but to no avail. to make matters worse the new book just came out and now his thunderers and his thane are like unstoppable. mind u id like to make two lists, one 1000pt and one 2000pt list. all help greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

havnt postsed for a long time ...

anyway, hi ill try and help you !

chaos will always be at a disadvantage to dwarfs, they arnt perticurly fast moving themslesves ( chaos ) and there expensive units will go down to the guns very fast. best way to win i think is play slaaneshi, and have fast moving/strong CC units to charge in and rip them apart before the missle fire brings you down. now if you arnt playing them, youl have trouble as the rest of chaos dont move to fast meaning youl go donw fast but i suggest you could try to screen but i think they wont last long. last choice is go for a hordish army, taking alot of marauders with few chaos warrior/knights and some solid chracters to do the killing.
    fantasy

vampire counts ( under construction)

am thinking about starting it again

currently working on :

second unit of skellys

most likely thing next :

another box of skellys .....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've found that horde armies don't do as well against dwarf armies (especially shooty ones) simply becuase the dwarf player can throw in something tricky like a goblin hewer or flame cannon that's just going to toast your big, weak units and send them running. With an entrenched dwarf player you either need speed and maneuverability, overpowering magic, or BIG guns. Thankfully, a Chaos army has all three. A light fast army can get around those big blocks of dwarf troops and get some tasty flank and rear charges as well as charge any war machines placed on the flanks. Knights and chariots will tear through warrior units light paper. Just watch out for oaths stones (some players will tell you if they have one, some won't).

Any Tzeetch army (daemonic especially) is going to look at 5 or 6 dispell dice and laugh. Let fly the magic missles, cast those 5+ward saves and rerolls and dance around the dwarves.

Dwarf player often like to concentrate their units for better protection and leadership bonuses. They'll stay out and let you foolishly come to them, to try to break through their Ld 10 iron breakers and hammerers. All those expensive units packed together and possibly an anvil in there? Sounds like a perfect target for the hell cannon. Sure they may not run from the big template but just keep pounding away with those S 10 hits and watch their units evapourate. If they send minders or gyrocoptors after the cannon, good! Let them fight a T7 S6 3+sv terror causing gorgeous monstrosity.

Before this get's too long, let me explain why survivability isn't listed. Sure we can have big units with fantastic armor saves and dead hard stats. We can play the old Iron Wall game and just advance with warriors and watch arrows bounce off. However, if you have the misfortune of going up against a warmachine-heavy dwarf army (like mine) the dwarf player is just going to pick your nastiest unit each turn, point his cannons at it, roll some artillery dice and all that's left will be a big smoking crater.

Sorry to be a wind-bag. Hope that gives you some ideas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    170 (x5)

I play Ogres, who play very similarly to Chaos, albeit harder hitting and less armored.
    I get massacred by Dwarfs almost every time with conventional tactics.

The method I have found to beating them is simple: if they stock up on War Machines, then they've left very little by way of hand-to-hand ability save for an unstoppable, over-tooled Thane or something. All you have to do then, is get to their lines. If they try something different and actually go marching, then their lack of speed makes them easy to maneiver around.

To get to their lines alive, you have to keep them from shooting at your main line. A few fast units, like Screamers, or some Ambushing Beast Herds, combined with a healthy smattering of properly placed terrain, will keep your Dwarf opponent from shooting at you.

Don't underestimate the value of terrain. Only a fool charges up an open field.
    This is an actual conversation I have had regarding terrain:
    Opponent: "Dude, why are you setting up all those trees on the board?"
    Me: "I'm putting terrain up, you can too, you know."
    Opponent: "But now my guns can't see you."
    Me: "You're kidding, right?"

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x3)

You set your scenery up after you have deployed? That doesn't make a huge amount of sense given that generally the battlefield is there before the armies arrive. And chaos hits alot harder than ogres normally do.

However on topic, there are relativley few options you have apart from screening or flyers. The important thing is to get at least some of your army into combat where you can kill and kill. You are always going to take casualties going up against shooty armies, you pretty much have to soak up damage and protect your nastiest units until you can get stuck in.
    Helper monkey, bring me beer and donuts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

170 (x5)

Haha! No, we set up the field first, of course; however, my opponent didn't want any terrain, whereas I was putting rocks and trees all in the middle of the field, through what would have been his major firing lanes.

(On average, by the way, Ogres hit harder than Chaos, but only on the charge, remember Ogres get their Bull Charge.)

The problem with Dwarfs, isn't that they shoot so much, it's that they are so heavily armed and armored. When you eventually get to their lines, you have probably been reduced to half strength from shooting, then you still have to deal with large blocks of Warriors with Space Marine armor saves and incredibly high Leadership.

It's a conundrum, it is.

WHFB: Dwarfs || WH40k: Imperial Fists, Necrons || WM/H: Trollbloods || BFG: Necrons

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

It's gunline armies that make me wish chaos could take the lore of metal. sigh...

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    41 (x3)

I have just played a 2000 point game against a friend of mine who has been playing Dwarves for many years. I got destroyed, utterly utterly destroyed. He wasn't even using a hard shooting army, just had 2 flame cannons and 16 thunderers. However the the new anvil is not right. I was being charged by dwarves from 12 inches away because you roll the anvil in the shooting phase and it can't be dispelled. Also there is a rune combo that makes a unit fear causing and doubles its unit strength. When you get hit in the face by a fear causing unit of 20 dwarves with great weapons the likelihood is you are losing combat and then you auto run, bummer.

I am going back to the drawing board for a long hard rethink.
    Helper monkey, bring me beer and donuts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

170 (x5)

I've been looking at that new Dwarf Army Book long and hard and I have come to the conclusion, a conclusion that even my two regular Dwarf opponents share, that the new Dwarf list is far too easy to manipulate into something close to unstoppable.

It was always easy for the Dwarfs to create magic items that would cost anyone else double, given the effects; now they can also be effectively as fast as an Elven or Ogre infantry-based list.

I foresee a bit of a redux coming sooner than later from GW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from what ive heard dwarfs are nicely balanced...much mroe than other armies at least

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast