Chaos Tactica for newbies - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chaos Tactica for newbies

Oh well, here we go!

Of course, I wish for other chaos generals to answer questions that may be asked in this thread as well.

And, if you have anything to say about the tactics and ways of Chaos, feel free to tell.

And here it is.

Welcome to the wastes of Chaos fellow champion, sit down here by the fire and let me tell you about the true force of Chaos, listen well my friend, and may thy path lead to daemon hood.

It is always fun with new players, I'll give you a walkthrough on as much stuff as I can.

First of all, let us have a look at the five different powers, their pros and their cons.

We begin with the oldest one, Chaos Undivided:

Chaos undivided comes for free on all units and characters that can have a mark, it gives you the ability to reroll failed psychology tests, meaning that the Helmet of Many Eyes combined with a Greatweapon is the ideal equipment for an Exalted Champion of Chaos Undivided.

The lores you get access to when having this mark on your sorcerers (or when taking the book of secrets) are Fire, Shadow and Death.

Fire is the most destructive of the three, it is in general, one of the most destructive lores around.

Shadow, this lore can be great if you wants that extra movement and still keep a few decent magic missiles up your sleeve. The Pit of Shadows can kill quite a few models if you are a good enough roller with your dice.

Death, well... what can I say, death is death. The Death Lore is best used in conjunction with Tzeentch magic due to the chance of getting Doom and Darkness, which, if combined with Violet Fire, can sapp even a Blood Dragon lord into the warp.

The army composition of Chaos Undivided:

If the character that is the general has the mark of Chaos Undivided, then you can have any mix of Mortal, Beast and Daemonic Champions (mind you, they may not have higher Ld then him) with any mix of marks. But you must have a unit with the same mark as a differently marked character. For instance, if you have a Champion of Nurgle in your army, then you must have a unit with the Mark of Nurgle.

You can have any mark on any markable unit as well, though remember, a character with the Mark of Chaos Undivided may only join other units with the mark of Chaos Undivided, or units with no mark at all.

There, that was Chaos Undivided.

Now, let us head for the Lord of Change and his mind boggling games.

The Tzeentchian mark:

Often considered the weakest mark because of the psychology loss on the units. A unit marked with Tzeentch looses its ability to reroll failed psychology tests, all they do is to generate a Power Dice… unless they are fleeing.
    However, it is one of the cheaper marks of Chaos when it comes to marking units, you only pay 20 pts for an additional Power Dice.

The mark given to characters however, it can only be taken by Lords, Daemon Princes, Exalted Daemons, Exalted Champions and Aspiring champion.
    The reason for this is that the mark turns the character into a lvl 4/2 wizard depending on whether he is a hero or Lord.
    This mark is the most expensive mark to put on a character though, but it benefits them hugely.

The play style of Tzeentch is to go Multiple Small Units, MSU, due to the fact that you almost have to go Character heavy and have as many Power Dice as possible.
    The favoured item combo for a Lord riding either a Disc or a Dragon is the Golden Eye of Tzeentch, the Staff of Change, a Greatweapon and a shield.

Tzeentchian characters are often the hardest to choose equipment for, due to the fact that they can be kitted out to be Fighters, Sorcerers or something in between. But if given a Greatweapon and a Spell familiar, an Exalted Champion has the chance of getting Orange Fire, turning him into a beast of Close Combat. A Beastlord with the Goretooth and a Greatweapon has the ability to turn into a true beast of Chaos, unleashing both the Goretooth and Orange Fire upon himself.

The Tzeentchian Lore is one of the most random lores out there, but fear not, with the sheer amount of spells that can be cast, you are almost certain that one of them will be extremely strong.
    The different colloured fires have their different uses, Red Fire, a magic missile with the potential of 6 strength 6 hits on a distance of 30 inches is just sweet.
    Green fire is the perfect spell to cast on a unit with Greatweapons or a realy big block of weaker units, trust me, it is fun to see that group of Swordsmasters hack themselves to pieces.
    The one making horrors are excellent against low toughness opponents and Blue Fire, the perfect magic missile, the potential of 12 strength 7 hits is just cruel.
    And Purple Fire can be used to warp away that pesky hero on the opposing side, watch out for Goblin and Ork Shamans though, since they might have Shiny Baubles, I once saw Archaon cast Violet Fire, the Ork reflected it back on him and he failed his Ld test.

Anyway, the true power of the Tzeentchian lore lies in the sheer amount of Magic that you can push through, 1 Red fire does not hurt a unit, but 4 each turn does.

The Tzeentchian army mostly is built around Chariots and small units with the Mark of Tzeentch with a few big blocks of Marauders to back them up.

But we must not forget the Tzeentch Daemons, Horrors accompanied by Flamers can make an excellent flank guard, no Fast cavalry will last long if they walk within 30� of those Horrors.

A group of 16 Horrors with 4 Flamers cost 340 pts, but they cast bound spells at Power Level 8, gets 3 ranks in close combat and have Shooting support. This is excellent to put down on one flank if you can spare the points, it also grants you more magic so that the opponent will be even harder pressed.

Screamers are excellent as well and can be used in a plethora of ways.

They are pretty good at getting to war machines, it is just to fly over units, slashing them while heading for those pesky cannons.

You can also use them to harry an enemy block unit, land on its flank, then fly to the other one and use the Slashing attack, then repeat. remember though, always land on the flank or in the rear of the unit, thus avoiding getting charged.

You can use them to fly over a corner of a unit and slash at that hiding Wizard.

And, since the Knights of Tzeentch have one big weakness, psychology, panic in particular, use Screamers to screen the knights, 2 wounds each and skirmishing! And then, the turn before you carge, fly the screamers over your intended target and cause some Slashing kills, making it easyer for the Knights to break the enemy.

We have now dealt with the games and schemes of Tzeentch, now, let us move on to the power of Khorne.

The Khornate mark do not let you play all that tactical, though the way of Khorne can be pretty damn hard without tactics.

It renders your heroes and your units immune to psychology, but makes them frenzied. The additional dispell dice is nice as well.
    The mark costs about the same price as Nurgle, but it gives you a lot more hitting power in close combat.

A lord of Khorne is a force of Nature by himself, slap him in with some chosen knights and you have a tsunami of bloodshed.

Khorne despises magic, you can take sorcerers, but you cannot mark them Khorne, nor is it considered fluffy.

The most favoured units of Khorne players in general are Chosen Warriors of Khorne with either Additional Handweapon, Hallberds or Greatweapons. Of course, you could give them all three options.
    And we must not forget the Chosen Knights of Khorne, the Crém de la Crém of bloodthirsty killing machines. 3 Strength 5 ws 5 attacks each, combined with those of the horses can wipe a unit from the face of the table top.

Well… there is actualy not much more to say about Khorne, their daemons are, like their warriors, killing machines.

Let us now move onto Grandfather Nurgle, the god of famine and caressing love.Yet again an expensive mark, but the ability to bump your already unkillable lord to another level of staying power is excellent. Throw in the Crown of Everlasting Conquest and few can bring him down without Killing Blow.The mark turns all of your characters into brick walls, imagine yourself that pesky Bretonnian unit of KotR charging him, perhaps they fail their Fear test, now they hit on 6s and if the Nurgle Champion has the Armour of Damnation, they must reroll all succeeded To Hit rolls, and I doubt they would actually kill him, and then, he has this nice Greatweapon and 4 attacks. (though he might loose quite badly due to combat res)The Nurgle Lore is one of the harder ones to use tacticaly, but when done correctly, you can be sure that your opponent will embrace Nurgle for protection against the deceases .Now, for the Lore of Nurgle.It is one of the most weakening lores in the game, being able to bring the Toughness of an Ogre Tyrant down to that of a halfling, and the chance of making Breton.nian Grail Knights into mewling wrecks of fever delusions, ah yes, the true might of sickness.The basic spell, buboes, is excellent at taking out war machine crews as well as killing off characters weakened by Scabs (toughness 1 Elf anyone?)If you see a unit preparing to charge your chosen knights in the flank, cast Poxes upon them, the lowering of Leadership, Strength, Ws and Bs should be enough for your knights to survive the attack.Boils is the ultimate spell to cast against heavily armoured foes, strength 4 with no armour saves can pluck a unit of Knights apart.Afflictions can be used to slow a unit enough to run rings of knights, Horsemen and warriors around it.And lastly, Pestilence, you can even cast it at the opponent round 1 due to the extreme range. And I doubt I need to explain its greatness.The Knights and Warriors of Nurgle is a bit weak against enemy shooting (panic), but they can wreck havoc in the enemy lines. When playing Nurgle, a unit of 20 non-chosen oft times is better then a unit of 12 or 14 Chosen warriors, due to the fact that the mark gets more effective the more troops you have in a unit, unlike Tzeentch and Khorne, which generates the same number of DD and PD no matter the size.Though Nurgle armies tend to be very elitist because of this, there is no need to play that way, a unit of 20 Warriors with Shields costs 345 pts and we must not forget the standard.The Nurgle Daemons are the toughest ones around, they also have the only swarm available to Chaos.In truth, Nurgle is one of the harder marks to play, but once you get the grip, our loving father will never disappoint you.Now, let us move on to the youngest of the gods, Slaanesh.The mark is cheap and benefits your army pretty decent, though there are few times an undivided warrior fails to do what a Slaanesh one can. The big bonus though, is the fact that you never ever can fail a Panic test, nor will you auto break if beaten in combat by pesky zombies.The mark is at best placed upon the body of a daemon, giving him the ability to strike first.The three most popular choices for Slaanesh Lords and equipment are the following:Lord of Slaanesh, Steed of Slaanesh, Blade of Blood, Pendant of Slaanesh and Gaze of the Gods. This guy just runs arround, gaining both wounds and attacks in every battle.Daemonprince of Slaanesh, Blade of the Ether, Soul Hunger, Soporific Musk. This guy is the best tin can opener you can ever imagine (apart from a Shaggoth Champion).Exalted Sorceror of Slaanesh, Level four upgrade, Chaos Daemonsword and a Spell familiar (that last one varies). This guy is a pure monster, casting spells from one of the best lores while being able to cut a swathe through the enemy in the name of Slaanesh.The units of Slaanesh are great, you do not need to screen them by fear of panic (though you might want to anyway), and the Warriors and Knights has the ability to pick up the feared, Rapturous Standard to help them bring pleasure and pain to the fields of Battle.The Slaaneshi Lore is considered one of the best in the game.Extremely dominating, it can make marauders unbreakable, enemy sledgehammers to avoid combat and opposing wizards go frenzied.It has great tactical use, just like most other lores, but this one takes the price.The Daemons of Slaanesh have the fastest Fast Cavalry around, and even a normal block of Daemonettes can be extremely hard to deal with.That was Slaanesh, the dark prince.

And thats the end of this tactica

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Very inspiring!!! Thank you for this article, please remember to add it to the articles available from LO.
    Great job, really helped me, although a basic analysis of all the units in the game are much needed. Also could there be added tactics for using them, and maybe armycomposition...
    Great work, would love to see more!
    -lurking in the shadows of LO.

Officially diagnosed by Tekore
    Melkhior, Necrarch Lord

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tactics you want well that can be down to the mark,
    tzeentch i advise a lord of tzeentch with the staff of change and some protective ward save and then load up on champion of tzeentch and sorcerers then have lots of units of 12 of chaos warriors with the mark of tzeentch, horrors are also good and then possibly a beast herd but that is pretty much up to you, if you want a straight combat army this is not it, this is possibly one of the most powerful armies akthough you should ensure you have a good mix of tzeentch and other wizards as the Tzeentch spells are not the best, and don't forget chosen chaos knights id take this no matter what the mark i'd chosen and for any spare points its really up to you but remenber this is a magic army so pick units that will fit in within this strategy.

Nurgle armies
    Take a combat lord as your leader and make sure to have a charcter per infantry unit then have large units of nurgle warriors and put the characters in this will mean you will autobreak most units you come against as the fighting power of the character plus the outnumbering fear of the unit will mean most oponents will flee before your might, of course take Nurgle chosen chaos knights and if you dont feel like spending all those points on characters i advise additional handweapons as you will cause enough wounds with these things to send most things running, as for daemons well their what you would expect from nurgle tough, although not the best at giving the punishment boy can they take it with -1 to be hit and T4 (for plaguebearers) or multiple wounds (for nurglings) these guys can hold up most units bu watch out for instability, and also almost always i would take nurgle minotaurs these guys get a good save and can deal a great amount of punishment, as for magic it is decent although not massively powerful so its your preference whether to go magic light or heavy.

Khorne armies
    right allot of the tactical decisions are taken away from you by frenzy but you can limit this through the use of non frenzied cheap troops (beast herds and warhounds) and they will also sheild you from incomming fire, bonus!, of course have a fighty lord and the size of the units can be down to preference but frenzy will sheild you from panic and the like with this army i would take maybe units of 15 chaos warriors with the mark of khorne and and additional handweapons and maybe a unit of bestigors with the mark of khorne, with this army get across the board as quickly as possible with the least casualties and as for the daemons well the same goes for them as for the chaos warriors watch out for the double edged sword of frenzy and these guys will dish out serious punishment and surely i dont need to say how powerful chosen khornate chaos knights are.

Slaanesh
    This is my personal army mark and there are several tips i will tell you, slaanesh has in my opinion the most powerful spells in the whole of Warhammer so i advise having plenty of sorcerers (minimum of 2) and maybe one with a different lore just to provide some magic missles, as for your lord well any of them can be class with the right equipment so it is down to preference although i use sometimes a lord sometimes an exalted sorcerer and then on to the cores: well i have units of 20 but thats because i like rank bonus so smaller units could also work well, additional handweapons plus the rapturous standard is a good combo, then of course you have the usual chosen chaos knights, hounds and marauders to add to the mix, so to the daemons/beasts well daemonettes are good against T3 armies so elves (especialy wood elves) and against low LD armies, but against anyone with a decent save they will struggle, mounted daemonettes are great M10 and attack as daemonettes these guys are awesome and can easily get flank charges against any army in the game but the big thing with these are their very fragile and may get shot to pieces in the first turn so be carefull and this is the reason i dont filed them myslef although i may try again with them and see how they can be used without getting shot and magiced of the face of the earth, well for the beats units its down to you slaanesh bestigors are OK but not brillinant so its down to personal preference as for rare well you cannot go wrong with slaanesh chaos spawn the extra D6" makes all the difference and most oponents are wary because these guys can hold up a unit for ages.

As for unidivided well this is all down to prefernce you could go magic heavy or light and you could go for an infantry or fast army and the lord is really down to you.

My favourite units are:
    Exalted sorcerer of slaanesh
    Chaos lord of slaanesh
    Chosen chaos knights
    centigors
    beast herds
    Dragon ogres.
    Chaos warriors

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

While the content of your analysis is good, please punctuate with something other than commas. Each one of those paragraphs is actually one sentence. It makes your advice very hard to read.
    The Hierarchy Chaotica: Kinky Sex > Change > Disease > Blood

98% of the population actually believes these stupid statistics. If you're part of the 2% of humanity with a brain, put this in your profile.

+ Reply to Thread