Random Chaos point issues - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Random Chaos point issues

Alright this thread is about the difference in points cost between certain units in the chaos (whole) army.

First off is the issue with Sorcerers. An exalted sorcerer, and a great bray shaman are almost identical. Their statline is almost the same, and they provide the same magic potential and mark abilities. Why then, is the bray shaman 55 points cheaper? Is 1 pt of leadership and chaos armor worth 55 points? This character will not likely be the general, and will almost definitely be hiding from damage, so I fail to see why there is such a large point discrepency. I know that the sorcerer has the option to take the lore of fire, but if I plan on taking the mark of Slaanesh, what reason do I have to pick an exalted sorcerer over a great bray shaman? The same applies for low lvl sorcerers, though the differences is 10 pts instead of 55.

The two chariot choices are also slightly unbalanced, though not as harshly. The chaos chariot is obviously more durable, (1 more T and Sv), but the beast one hits slightly harder. (S5 steeds and 1 S6 crew). Is that extra durability worth 35 points?

Finally an issue inside the beasts of chaos book. I'm contemplating adding to my list a potent hard hitting fast unit of monsters, and I'm torn between Dragon Ogres, and Chaos Ogres. It seems that for the price of 3 Dragon Ogres, I can get 5 Chaos Ogres tooled up to perform the same job. The Ogres are almost as fast, hit almost as hard with as many attacks, and can have a 3+ save in combat. Are Dragon Ogres worth it over Ogres, or even Trolls?

The Hierarchy Chaotica: Kinky Sex > Change > Disease > Blood

98% of the population actually believes these stupid statistics. If you're part of the 2% of humanity with a brain, put this in your profile.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

Do not underestimeate the ability to wear armour and still cast spells. The extra point of leadership is very nice when it comes to panic tests.

Only 1 crew as Strength 6 on a Tuskgor chariot, as opposed to 2 S5 (4 with mark of Khorne) fot the Chaos chariot. Also WS 5 is a very nice asset.

Dragon ogres have the higher leadership value. Not only do they move a bit faster, they get 3D6 when it comes to fleeing and pursuit. A big Difference. Also, the WS again mmakes a big difference.

There are also other reasons to why units don't have pro/ratio costs, such as availability, and army strength and weaknesses.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

True, but I can always take chaos armor for 10 pts. It then becomes 45 points for a single point of leadership (and I gain M5 for the beast). I can't say I think that's worth it, especially when the mark of Slaanesh will grant me imunity to panic. I think I'll simply use my exalted sorcerer model as a great shaman.

I see the strengths of both chariots, though I can't quite decide if the added durability of the mortal one is worth the 35 points. Either way I'd still gladly trade both for high elf chariots lol. Oh well.

I'm still split between the dragon ogres, and the reg ogres. I'll probably play test both a bit.

98% of the population actually believes these stupid statistics. If you're part of the 2% of humanity with a brain, put this in your profile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also the chariots are more expensive due to choice, you have the choice to put marks on the mortal one where i believe you cant on the beastmen and also you can put heroes on the mortal chariot but again i believe (but im not sure) that only lords can mount the beastmen chariot. You should never underestimate a hero in a chariot, it does up its US to 5 which then in turn puts it into the catagory of negating ranks etc. the WS also comes into effect there because although because those hits although you have 1 S 6 you have a better chance of missing, and they have a better chance of hitting you.

With ogres and dragon ogres, i think most of those points are that they move 7 which puts them up into 3D6 charge flee etc which is quite a big bonus. but if your going to take ogres, can i recomend you take 4 rather than 5, you can have a frontage of 3 and still have it if you take a casualty and with all the other tasty options to shoot at in your army chances are ogres wont be too high up on their list.

The difference with the sorcerer and shaman; that chaos armour, getting it as standard or buyig it as a magic item is worth quite abit, if your beastman shaman takes it then your beastmen combat guys cant, they have to take more expensive ones instead. Also its more choice again, mounts, the sorcer can be that hero in a chariot as mentioned above, or they can simply take demonic or normal mounts, which i probably wouldnt take other than the slaanesh one of a normal steed, the steed then increases your armour whereas the slaanesh mount ups your movement greatly, allowing you to be wherever you need those spells to be.
    lets agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours are

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorcerer 85
    Bray-Shaman 65

When it comes to Lords, well, I don't think either is worth buying. And if you do have a wizard lord, he probably is your general.

This is a difference of 20. With you buying chaos armour, it's ten. Ten is worth a point of LD
    and always will be.

And as mentioned above, A sorcerer on a barde mount is harder for enemies to catch, and has a 2+ save. 2+.
    Last edited by Khorne Lord; March 29th, 2006 at 00:16.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

I'm looking at exalted sorcerers. For lvl 2 support sorcs, it is definitely smarter to go for the chaos one. However in my Slaanesh army my general is an exalted champ.

So I'm taking for my magic focus: Great Bray Shaman, Lvl 4, Mark of Slaanesh, Power Familiar, Chaos Armor.

This is 45 points cheaper than the same equipment on an exalted sorcerer. I lose a point of leadership, but I'm immune to psychology, so I'm safe unless I see combat. I also gain a point of movement on the plus side.

+ Reply to Thread