Marauders only .. does it work? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Rex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marauders only .. does it work?

Hi all!

Havn't been around for a while now, but GT's drawing nearer and this time I'm planning to go - so I need some advice.

I've just started a Barbarian Horde army, constisting of marauders only. As you understand it's heavily themed and I've spent alot of time painting and converting it. So far it consists of two large blocks of infantry, two heroes and a chariot (with marauder crew of course).

The plan is to use fast units (read marauder horsemen) and chariots on both flanks (planning on 3-4 chariots). This will keep the enemy busy while the infantry march forward along with the heroes. Since chaos heroes can beat the s**t out of almost anything I hope to run down what remains when the chariots and horsemen are done.

I think I have settled for Tzeentch now, after running through all the gods at least 3-4 times each. This because I can afford to spend 200-300 points on each hero without losing my numbers (marauders are cheap). All in all this will give me 3-4 spellcasters that eats dwarf heroes for breakfast. Not bad at all!

So whaddya think? Is Tzeentch the choice? Does it work all-marauder-way?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x3)

Oh, yes it works. Marauders are just a Rank&File standard infantry which do quite well with a hero with them. They provide passive combat bonus (which Warriors can't do well unless you spend LOTS of points) And the Hero does the offensive stuff and gives better leadership.
    Apart from Chaos Undivided, they are just as trusting as chaos warriors (provided a hero has joined them or the general is close), only much cheaper.

Apart from that, with saving points by not taking Warriors/Knights, I'd say get some exras from the special choices.
    If you're going Tzeentch, then a bunch of screamers would even fit fluff-wise.
    While I'm at it, it's worth a thought of upgrading a tzeentch champion to battle standard bearer. As being a Wizard now, he is still quite useful even if not standing in front line (and the break test re-roll will come in handy if the going gets tough)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Considering your current composition, why not go for Archaon's Horde? Saving 25 points per block of infantry is pretty sweet, and it adds up!

Crom is another go if you really want to max out the Horde aspects... free mark undivided is saweeet.

Rex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course I have considered to use Crom, but since I'm building this army as a tournament one I can't pick him. But when playtesting .. of course! :yes:

Regarding the specials choice: I have thought of using furies, converted from daemonettes of slaanesh. This will add further mobility and take out those pesky dwarf cannons ..

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Rex
    I think I have settled for Tzeentch now, after running through all the gods at least 3-4 times each. This because I can afford to spend 200-300 points on each hero without losing my numbers (marauders are cheap). All in all this will give me 3-4 spellcasters that eats dwarf heroes for breakfast. Not bad at all!

So whaddya think? Is Tzeentch the choice? Does it work all-marauder-way?
    Question: Can Tzeentch Heroes join Marauder Units?

This has confused me for a while. Can models with a Mark, other than Undivided, join Marauder units (which don't have a Mark, and are presumably undivided)?

Otherwise, you have a lot of expensive heroes sitting around relatively unprotected, and a lot of low leadership marauders that may well panic if they aren't camped around your general. I'd be worried about cannons, fear, and small character killing units picking off your uber expensive champions.

Rex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*silence*

If you're right about this .. well .. I need a new plan. I could of course go all undivided heroes as well but I think I lose quite a bit of punch then. I DO however get even more points to spend on other things (like chariots).

During playtesting I have gone for undivided heroes once, just to match the theme of the rest of the army. But since we didn't play more than 800 pts it didn't matter that much.

Perhaps i should go undivided ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

I woulf say they can because then doing things like a Khorne marauder tribe would be pointless because the Khorne champions couldent join units also marauders arent marked or assumed to be marked whatsoever (exception being croms and possibly Archons armys.)
    Ask not the ruleboys a question for they shall give you three answers each true and terrifying to behold

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

This is my concern precisely. There's that bit in the rules where they say that all units which do not explicitly have a Mark are assumed to have the Mark of their respective god for purposes of joining units. I think the example given is demons, so bloodletters count as Khorne and Horrors count a Tzeentch. I ASSUME that this means that Marauders count as Undivided for character-joining purposes.

Dilandau: for this reason I have always assumed that Marauder tribes of various gods were unsupportable fluff. I suppose you could have lots of Maruaders and small flanking units of Khorne for the characters to hide in, but it has always seemed prohibitively expensive and limiting.

Rex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems they can join after all. Thats good *sigh*.

Tnx for the help with my marauders so far. Pics of some of them are now uploaded to the gallery for inspectation. :rolleyes:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

the thing about units assumed to have marks is in regard to Daemons which makes sence seeing how if it is a Daemon of a specific god it should have thats god mark upon it. Marauders however are classed as unmarked much like beastherds witch is why you can have a khorne beastman champion join one.
    Ask not the ruleboys a question for they shall give you three answers each true and terrifying to behold

+ Reply to Thread