Hardest God to play? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Hardest god to play

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tzeentch

15 42.86%
  • Nurgle

5 14.29%
  • Slaanesh

5 14.29%
  • Khorne

10 28.57%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hardest God to play?

Ok this debate started in GW with a friend, but I am trying to figure out what god is the hardest to play in general., undivided do not count here.

If you are new please dont read this, i dont want to spoil your fun

Tzeentch
    - A lot of magic but does not always work out well (6 str 1 hits )
    - Insane point cost for characters! But they are casters
    - As with all chaos point cost is very heavy, very small army ... and we don’t have any psychology on our side.

Nurgle
    - yay for fear
    - Some cool abilities
    - Ugly heroes :sleep:
    - I do not know much about Nurgle as I never played with him. He seems like the average Joe of chaos.

Slaanesh
    -Cool units
    -Can control the board if played correctly
    -If you do not know what you are doing you will be in trouble
    -Really nice magic, too bad you can’t have tzeentch power dice
    - Psychology

Khorne
    -one trick army
    - nothing can stand up to them in close combat, chosen knights = destruction
    -easy to bait into combat
    - not to be rude but every 12 year old at my GW plays this army. (I am not saying that all khorne players are 12, but the army is not very complicated... charge and kill).

Overall I think tzeentch and Slaanesh are the two most difficult gods, from a tactical point of view, to play. Both need careful planning to use, if not played correctly they get beat up very bad. Nurgle is up there too but I don’t know enough about his play styles to be fair. Khorne armies are all almost the same... charge and kill, not much too it.

Note:
    Hey these are just my views, I want to hear what other people think. Sorry in advance if I offended your god but these are my thoughts. If you want to prove me wrong do so in a constructive post. In other words I am just starting the debate, as I am a new chaos player, I want posts from the veterans of each god.

Last edited by Arnor; June 20th, 2006 at 21:08.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Overall I think tzeentch and Slaanesh are the two most difficult gods, from a tactical point of view, to play."

I agree about tzeentch, but Slaanesh is pretty much just a more reliable version of Undivided is it not? I don't really see what is tactically difficult about being immune to psychology.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

trouble with this is, it depends who your up against too, i mean against low magic defence armies tzeentch have a field day, and slaanesh can start controlling their armies.
    against lots of skirimishers and fast cav, khorne would find it hard to get to the combats they cherish.
    And equally against a nice big undead team nurgle have lost their advantage of fear.
    lets agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours are

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Khorne. Khorne has control issues at the best of times. When you are facing decent opposition, you have to be thinking at least 1-2 turns ahead. The way you deploy your army can lose you the game if you aren't careful.

Tzeentch is characterfully a hostage to good dice rolls, but Khorne requires you to think of every possible outcome of your own moves as well as your opponents. The trick about playing Khorne is getting into combat - sure, it's not really a subtle army, but if it doesn't tear the enemy limb from bloody limb it will lose.

Beginners believe Khorne to be cheese on legs, but talk to almost any veteran player and you will find that Khorne are looked down on as an army.

Slaanesh is easy, it almost never runs away and has an awesome spell lore. Nurgle and tzeentch can be rather fragile when it comes to psychology (panic particularly), but at least have reliability on their side when it comes to charges. Nurgle is pricey, but solid; Tzeentch has expensive heroes but can at least wear down the opposition.

Khorne usually has to charge in after having taken some casualties against an untouched enemy army.

Khorne is the most difficult - an army where you are not 100% in control of your models is never going to be that easy.

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tzeentch. Being a Chaos army, you will probably already be horribly outnumbered, but for Tzeentch this is even more of an issue. Sure, they can tear an army apart with magic, but think how random it could be. I have once gotten str 1 hits with a red fire, but I have also gotten str 7 with a blue fire. See what I mean by random?

Psychology is also a big problem. Being a really small army, psychology has a big effect, maybe even making the whole army run! (If you're really unlucky)

***The Old One***
    "Amid the darkness and horror of a world splintering apart, the armies of the true creators, we who were ancient at the dawn of time, will march forth once more. We shall sweep away all that is chaos and disorder, for ours is the true path, and none shall defy us."

Senior Member Dark Lioness HLTB's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x2)

Slaanesh is incredibly powerful due to the lore of Slaanesh and the fact his mark allows one of the most broken magic item combos in 6th edition.

Tzeentch is an issue for me because it forces up the price of characters when they're just as easy to kill.
    Last edited by Dark Lioness HLTB; June 21st, 2006 at 22:06.

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Rork
    Khorne. Khorne has control issues at the best of times.
    I say Tzeentch, because its strengths conflict with themselves.
    Undivided: close combat
    Khorne: close combat and anti-magic
    nurgle: close combat, fear, resiliance
    Slannesh: close combat, immune to psych, Speed
    Tzeentch: close combat, Magic, Speed

Khorne can be controlled by taking undivided units, packing them around your frenzied units like snow around a chunk of ice, and tossing the package at your foe. *poofWHAM*

I have trouble balancing Tzeentch. Your characters get SOO expensive so quickly, and pumping up any of the strengths reduces the other two.

Magic: characters and horrors. characters can fight, horrors can't. both are slow without upgrades.

Speed: screamers and disks: Both are weak in combat and un-magical.

Close Combat: normal chaos units. even marking them is a very expensive way to get PD. Lots slower than your speed units.

IMO a good Tzeentch army has to play like elves, with lots of march blocking, magic, and very carefully calculated charges. But I've never pulled it off, the only way I win is by magic, and people figure out dispel scrolls fast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Well the verdict seems to be that Slaanesh is the easiest god to play, blimey.

Can't say I saw that coming, as Slaanesh is by far the least played god from what I've seen in all my fantasy years. I do definitely see the weaknesses in the other gods, but I think that some of the posts here exagerate them drastically. No one has thus been really focussing on the strengths of the other armies.

So for the record, I believe that Nurgle is easily the hardest god to play. Fear requires numbers, their magic items are junk, and their daemons are fairly weak. They have some good daemonic upgrades, but that's about their only saving grace. I have a bad feeling also that unless fear is re-written in 7th edition, they will get even weaker.

Slaanesh I feel comes in 2nd. The immunity to psychology is huge, and amazingly effective in most games. The magic lore is in my mind the best in the game. We have the kinkiest fun things you can immagine, but we lack the hitting power of the other gods. A mortal Slaaneshi army really has a hard time breaking through tough troops without the assistance of magic. This means that you are forced to pour points into magic to ensure that you are getting your spells off. It all looks great from afar, but consistantly winning with these chaps is a pain. We have only one damage spell, and this makes it all the more difficult to go with pure kinkomancy.

Tzeentch comes in 3rd for me. The real reasoning behind this is that they are a magic heavy army with sorcerers which will beat the crap out of anything they touch. A magic heavy high elf army will cry when their sorcerer gets assaulted by a sneaky unit or flyer. A tzeentch mage will turn that tomb scorpion into a pile of dust. This makes it very difficult for the opponent to damage the magical effectiveness of the army. The real weakness of Tzeentch is their ability to panic. Unlike Khorne, fleeing Tzeentch troops do not generate their dice. A Tzeentch general needs to plan his leadership out, but for the most part can rely on a sickening number of spells to bash his opponent with. Take a fire-toting sorcerer alongside your Tzeentch army, and you can really dish out the hurt.

Khorne is in my opinion the easiest god to play. The real advantages that they have easily outwiegh the troubles. Firstly, an opponents magic is completely negated. Unless your opponent really went all out in pouring points into magic, he will be lucky to get 1 spell off a turn. Seconly, all of your opponents anti-magic points are completely and utterly wasted. Many armies with weak troops will completely rely on support magic to win combat, and they will be utterly crushed in combat by superior troops. Khornate warriors can go toe to toe with Ogres and win. Yes their troops are frenzied, but this is such an easy obstacle to overcome. Some of the comments hear have exagerated the downsides of frenzy to the point of absurdity. Yes a canny opponent can bait you with fast cav. If you take your own fast cav, and some marauders to act as shields, you have very little to fear. When you hit home, you will absolutely decimate your opponent. Khorne knights are extremely powerful, and a Khornate cavalry army is just about unstoppable. On top of it all, they have the only item in the chaos armory which grants killing blow, and easily the best daemonic gifts.

I fear several of the posts in this thread are the result of crazed theory-crafting more than they are of actual battle experience.
    The Hierarchy Chaotica: Kinky Sex > Change > Disease > Blood

98% of the population actually believes these stupid statistics. If you're part of the 2% of humanity with a brain, put this in your profile.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Fat_Badger
    Yes their troops are frenzied, but this is such an easy obstacle to overcome. Some of the comments hear have exagerated the downsides of frenzy to the point of absurdity. Yes a canny opponent can bait you with fast cav. If you take your own fast cav, and some marauders to act as shields, you have very little to fear. When you hit home, you will absolutely decimate your opponent. Khorne knights are extremely powerful, and a Khornate cavalry army is just about unstoppable. On top of it all, they have the only item in the chaos armory which grants killing blow, and easily the best daemonic gifts.
    I think that glosses over some of the potential issues that you can have with frenzy. You can, of course, completely box in your khornate units with something like hounds - opening up the formation when it suits you. But I feel that doesn't take into account that your enemy can charge your screen and possibly overrun or pursue through it.

A player can drag enough Khornate units away to make life difficult for the Khorne player. If an elf eagle charges your flank, the subsequent sideways pursuit takes them out of the game for a turn. It's things like this that allow players to "divide and rule" a khornate army. Armies with plenty of skirmishers or flyers can be difficult to take on, dependent on what is in the Khorne army (and how "dilute" you want to make it).

Quote Originally Posted by Fat_Badger
    I fear several of the posts in this thread are the result of crazed theory-crafting more than they are of actual battle experience.
    My CKoK take issue with that .

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by version9
    "Overall I think tzeentch and Slaanesh are the two most difficult gods, from a tactical point of view, to play."

I agree about tzeentch, but Slaanesh is pretty much just a more reliable version of Undivided is it not? I don't really see what is tactically difficult about being immune to psychology.
    Immune to pshychology is a double edged sword. We can't flee from charges, which trust me can often be annoying. Luckily people fleeing from charges annoys me anyway so I try not to do it. I don't know about the hardest, but I reckons the easiest is undivided. There isn't enough incentive for ppl to take fluffy one mark armies. In 40K, units with marks the general doesn't have become elites, and one mark armies can get free aspiring champs. We get nothing! (virtually)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast