Why the Horror Hate? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why the Horror Hate?

What is the big deal with the Horror hate? I don’t understand it. Now, I’m just starting out as a player and actually haven’t played with them yet. But I’m looking at the stats and am puzzled why people don’t like them. I really hope someone can clarify this for me.

Yes, they have horrible stats by themselves. By stats themselves, they’re even worse than naked marauders. But let’s look at a full unit of 20. Yes, that’s 300 points, but look what you are getting out of it.

First, you have a wizard that has 3 spells. In other words, you have a level 3 wizard or a level 2 wizard with a spell familiar. Secondly, those spells always go off with a power of 10 (until the unit starts getting whacked). That’s equal to an average of 3 dispel dice. And against a Tzeentch army (mine has 12-14 power dice depending on which I use), can an opponent risk wasting 3 dispel dice on my unit of Horrors? And if they do, that’s 3 dispel dice that can’t hit my sorcerers.

Second, you have a unit. We all know how outnumbered Chaos can be. Though Horrors have an awful stat line, they have numbers. Twenty Horrors easily outnumber most non-horde units and will probably outrank them. That’s a 1 to 4 bonus on CR. Even a unit of Chaos Knights would be scared of losing by 4.

Lastly, you have a regenerative unit. Yes, the Horrors close combat spell only hits on a 6, but that’s an auto-kill and a Horror is automatically generated. And that’s before combat even begins.

I don’t get it. Horrors seem to be really good on paper. What am I missing in practice?

Mongol General: Conan, what is best in life?
    Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x3)

Although I myself field Horrors more often than not (I like the models :wacko: ) the problem is that any half-decent infantry unit will eat the Horrors for breakfast (not a balanced diet, but who cares? :blink: ) they got rank boni for themselves, usually carry a standard and are mostly better equipped for combat (shields etc.)
    And cavalry either avoids to charge them frontal or if they do attack (most likely including a mounted hero) they inflict enough damage to not only win the combat but also unless you roll very good on your instability check, you might lose half of your horror unit. (And always the risk of rolling too high and losing your whole unit :sleep: )

Of course, as ranged magical support, they do quite well (Although the unit is very costly for inflicting d6 St4 hits) And having units immune to psychology amongs your ranks helps further from spreading panic.
    And, well, if your special choices allow it, two Units of 10 (or 12, if you beef'em up) might fare better in this aspect than one big block.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Well the way I see it is that their missile spell, and their combat spell are utter junk. The middle one that affects whole units has it's uses, though it's strength doesn't depend on their numbers. A minimum sized unit might do alright only casting this middle spell at lvl 5, which at the very least will require 2 DD to dispell. However they won't really do much damage for their points.
    The Hierarchy Chaotica: Kinky Sex > Change > Disease > Blood

98% of the population actually believes these stupid statistics. If you're part of the 2% of humanity with a brain, put this in your profile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not really a fan of any daemonic unit, except furies in some cases. They tend to be too pricey and as soon as anything magical hits them, they're toast. I will almost always go for a mortal unit over a daemonic unit. Instability can really hurt those rank and file troops.
    I remember a rather humerous and true quote from a Bret player "Unit of Daemons? Charge them with my Grail Knights. What Daemons?"
    300 points for a unit of 20 horrors? Give me a level 4 Slaaneshi sorcerer over that any day

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

In my experiance the very best way to use horrors is to simply cast indigo fire on an enemy infantry unit.

This will create a small number of horrors which will then tie the unit up for a turn, and, better yet, the horros can then cast their own spell into the fray as well.
    The only letback you have is that you must have the horror models available, which is the only reason i myself buy them,

Regards

I AM the Evil Twin! Jared van Kell's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1466 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain.Snowball
    In my experiance the very best way to use horrors is to simply cast indigo fire on an enemy infantry unit.

This will create a small number of horrors which will then tie the unit up for a turn, and, better yet, the horros can then cast their own spell into the fray as well.
    The only letback you have is that you must have the horror models available, which is the only reason i myself buy them,

Regards
    I use them in a similar fashion myself, I have actually used them as a support unit of 10 ranked up alongside my 25 strong block of marauders. Their spells can be rather usefull.
    Basically life sucks, there is only war and you're probably gonna get eaten by Tyranids, have fun.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/trek_hmm.gif

Rex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that they can be useful as a supportunit (10-12), but not as a unit on their own (20+). It's good to have some extra spells to throw around, plus an extra flanker-unit.

As some of you .. I only have the models for the creating-spell (whatever the colour). :wacko:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

I agree that they can be useful as a supportunit (10-12), but not as a unit on their own
    Agreed,

tzeentch is supposed to be the master of subtlety anyway. In this respect a unit of support horrors or magically created ones fits the most probably intended role for them anyway.

Lets face it, they just dont have the combat prowess that is possessed by the minions of the other three deities.

Regards

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see your points. I'm just worried that a unit of ten horrors can have their spells dispelled with a 5. Still, I'll prolly just try with 10, and drop em completely if I find that you guys are spot on. Thanks.
    Mongol General: Conan, what is best in life?
    Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

I'm just worried that a unit of ten horrors can have their spells dispelled with a 5
    Thats not too big of a problem because the horrors were created for free and one less dispell dice makes your own magic all that more happy.....have fun,

Regards

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast