"Revealing" Marks - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Revealing" Marks

Question for you: If, during army placement, your opponent asks, "What mark does that unit have?" Do you have to reveal it?!

I play Khorne, and am thinking that if my opponent knows that my unit is "frenzied" ahead of time, he may place his cheap units near them to lead them astray...

Please advise...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

IMO all models should be WYSIWYG, so if they had Khorne markings all over them they should have the mark of Khorne and your opponent should have no need to ask,
    DjSmed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generally speaking I don't reveal my marks, and certainly don't reveal which units are chosen until I have to for whatever reason. It's not bad gamesmanship not to reveal them since it would give your opponent a tactical advantage in knowing the location of such units. Which to avoid, which to block, which to engage etc.
    As DjSmed said, it may be a case of WYSIWYG, so your opponent may be able to work it out anyway. Besides, at the end of the day it is just a game. If you want to reveal them, go ahead. If not, just say something corny like "wouldn't you like to know" or "you'll find out soon enough" to keep things friendly
    So Sayeth Jimmy boy

Rex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally agree with DjSmed here, thinking that WYSIWYG should apply, at least to some degree, when marking your units. Painting up a warrior unit in shining armour, with red-and-gold embrodiery and then calling them chosen of nurgle is a bit wrong in my book.
    :x

Revealing if they're chosen is another thing and can't be modelled in the same way. No need to tell your opponent about them ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even if my warriors aren't technically 'marked' as Khorne they are usually still painted red and brass/gold to make the army look nice and fitting. I can't afford undivided painted warriors in addition to red painted. So you just say this is marked, this is just red.

As to revealing, I don't see why you should need to. Other magic effects don't need explaining, marks are magic.
    Archaon's Top Tip for profiting from the End Time: Pillage before you burn

When I say jump you don't ask me 'How high?' maggot! You jump!

Rex
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Archaon
    Even if my warriors aren't technically 'marked' as Khorne they are usually still painted red and brass/gold to make the army look nice and fitting. I can't afford undivided painted warriors in addition to red painted. So you just say this is marked, this is just red.

As to revealing, I don't see why you should need to. Other magic effects don't need explaining, marks are magic.
    I don't think marks are magic in that sense of the word. It's more like equipment, which mave to be shown on the model (or MARKED on the model).

When using magic items (a sword for example), you have to show it on the model. You can't show it's a magic sword .. but a sword. As for marks, you should show that the unit has A mark. The rest is up to the opponent to decide (.. is brass and red khorne or tzeentch?). :sleep:

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

I think a certain amount of common sense should be applied here.

I always tell people which marks the unit has got but that's just me

Ciao

Stonehambey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But what about people who have perfectly legitimate fluff to their army that contradicts their color scheme? For example, my army is a former knightly order from Talabecland (red and yellow), but they turned to Tzeentch after the Great War of Chaos. Therefore, all my warriors and knights are red and gold. I didn't make this fluff to confuse my opponents. Indeed, I made the fluff prior to getting back into the hobby.
    Mongol General: Conan, what is best in life?
    Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

I tell my opponent as I deploy what everything has. Not everything, but like "he's got some fun magic items, a great weapon, and the mark of Slaanesh", or "warriors of Slaanesh with a magicalness banner".

Basically the army is entirely WYSIWYG with the exception that everything is painted purple, so if my opponent asks "so what in your army is immune to psych", I'll point out what unit cannot be marked.
    The Hierarchy Chaotica: Kinky Sex > Change > Disease > Blood

98% of the population actually believes these stupid statistics. If you're part of the 2% of humanity with a brain, put this in your profile.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by TheCommodore
    But what about people who have perfectly legitimate fluff to their army that contradicts their color scheme? For example, my army is a former knightly order from Talabecland (red and yellow), but they turned to Tzeentch after the Great War of Chaos. Therefore, all my warriors and knights are red and gold. I didn't make this fluff to confuse my opponents. Indeed, I made the fluff prior to getting back into the hobby.
    No worries, but i'd probably let my opponent know what was going on as a precaution

Ciao

Stonehambey

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast