Screamers?? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screamers??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Screamers??

I thought I might get a better reply on the hordes of chaos forum (I'm a beasty player). Have screamers peformed well in battle for you and if they have whats a good unit size for em'??

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Tabletop Terraformer Tzeentch Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    109 (x4)

Have they performed well? Hmm... Hell yes!!! :w00t: These things are the saving grace of Tzeentch forces and no Tzeentch army should be without them. Units of 5 or 6 are best since even though they're skirmishers (flying unit) they can still claim the +1/+2 for attacking the flank/rear of an enemy unit, they cause fear, immune to psychology, they have 2 attacks, 2 wounds and a 5+ daemonic save!

They are perfect for wiping out war machine crews, assassinating wizards, march blocking and generally being a nuisance to your opponent. They can even destroy units of handgunners or crossbowmen by Slash attacking over them and waiting behind for a rear charge next turn (360 arc of sight remember). The handgunners/crossbowmen can either turn to face them (and lose their chance to shoot) or stay where they are, shoot and get rear charged next turn. Don't try this against archers though, since bows are not move or shoot weapons! And with the new rule where units are wiped out when fleeing through an enemy unit, they become even more dangerous.

In short, always take at least 5 of them! :yes:
    "Peace, through superior firepower."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

to be honest, i find furries to be far superior, and with the new rules that screamers no longer are at minus 1 to hit and furries still are, it makes my choice even easier.
    E-bay helps us all!
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZss4kakerotQQhtZ-1
    GT Las vegas ticket available through me just pm.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

109 (x4)

?! :huh: Okay, I don't yet have the new rulebook, why are Screamers not at -1 to hit when both they and Furies are a skirmishing unit? Even if this is true, I still think Screamers are superior, they are stronger, tougher, have more wounds and attacks, have better leadership and, well, they look better!...
    Last edited by Tzeentch Lord; September 20th, 2006 at 10:29.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a point

I too have not heard anything about this "screamers dont get -1 when shot at", are you sure?

As a complete aside, this is how I see the screamer/fury choice. Basically, two furies cost the same as 1 screamer. However, due the the W/A difference, that balances out. The screamers have their kinda cute slashing attack BUT, as flyers, both have only US1. That means you basically get twice as much US from equal points worth of furies. I figure this is fairly significant, cos when you go warmachine hunting, you really want to outnumber at the end of combat so that you get the fear auto-break...
    Anyway, that's why I prefer furies, but I guess it's much of a muchness. Plus those screamer models are pretty cool!

Cheers
    J

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never leave home without my Screamers. They are consistently my best unit in my Chaos army and rarely let me down.

With the new rules, a unit of 5 looks like a good option as you will wipe out your opponents if they flee through you.

I'm not sure about the to hit comparison with Furies. That's one that I haven't noticed and suspect that they are both still -1 to hit, but I'm happy to stand corrected if proven wrong.

In short, Screamers are good. :yes:
    W/L/D
    Dwarfs 20/12/4
    Skaven 8/6/3
    Lizardmen 5/4/2
    Chaos 6/4/0
    Empire 3/1/1
    Wood Elves 2/0/1
    Bretonnians 0/2/1
    Orcs & Goblins 0/1/0
    Next Army - Tomb Kings

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey
    With the new rules, a unit of 5 looks like a good option as you will wipe out your opponents if they flee through you.
    Provided you have not lost a single one... Thats why I'd rather go with 10 furies

Cheers
    J

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

109 (x4)

I see your point about unit strength, but another reason I prefer a fewer number of Screamers to a larger number of Furies, is cover. Chaos flyers are quite squishy, so taking a volley or two of missile fire full in the face doesn't do much for their chances of survival. Thus, you have to keep them behind cover as much as possible until it is their time to strike. A canny opponent will see your Screamers or Furies for exactly what they are, and will waste no opportunity to hose them down with archers, RBTs, helblasters or whatever.

My point is, despite the larger base, 5 Screamers are much easier to hide behind a wood or hill than 10 Furies are. Plus of course, if the enemy shooters have move-or-fire weapons, the Screamers can execute their slashing attack without having to see the enemy at the start of their turn (because it's not a charge, just a move), and be behind the enemy ready for a charge next turn. All the while being behind cover, safe from (most) enemy shooting.

Of course, assuming you're playing a large enough game, if you can take Screamers, why not go one better and have a unit of Furies as well! Then you have the best of both and double the opportunity to cause your opponent no end of headaches!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

screamers

i have been using screamers since hordes of chaos was released and they have been brilliant. the slashing attack is a great deterrant when it comes to deployment as it forces wizards into units for fear of slashing attack making them nice and easy to be picked out in combat giving you easy victory points an easy valuable kills. although you get two furies for one screamer so wounds r equal screamers are toughness 5 making them more resiliant. i wopuld atill take both though

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

109 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by blumley View Post
    although you get two furies for one screamer so wounds r equal screamers are toughness 5 making them more resiliant.
    Actually they're toughness 4, which is still very good of course.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast