what character slots? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    And
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

what character slots?

Hi there.. im starting up a khorne army, but im a bit insecure of which characters i shall use for a game of 2000 games.. i play against all elves and liz..

i was thinking these combos:

a)
    1 lord of chaos
    1 aspiring champ
    1 exalted daemon

b)
    1 lord of chaos
    2 exalted champs

c)
    1 lord of chaos
    1 exalted champ
    1 bray-shaman(i know.. khorne and magic, but i just gotta use the new shadow lore )

anyone of these, if any, should i use?
    what would you prefer?

regards. AND

Quote Originally Posted by Exarch Thomo View Post
    Hell, I even just copied the name from And - so it's all his fault! :P

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

Well, since you can buy a unit (+5 static CR) for the price of the average chaos character, I'd prefer

d)
    Lord (in case of scar-veterans and the like)
    wargor or aspiring champion (to carry MR items) OR bray-shaman as scroll bearer.

Also, don't bother with a single lvl 2 casting character. you won't get any spells off in 2000 points against lizards or elves, unless you have 2 or 3 casters.

Koosh
    Arena of Death Champion: Nexim of the Guldskullz Tribe. Fear my wrath!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea d is the way to go. Have the bray shaman as a scroll caddy and the lord in case of any scary lizardmen characters and the aspiring champion.... to be honest with this guy it depends what you want with him. Go for exalted if you want killing power but if you want a BSB, of course, you have to go with the aspiring champion...
    "The Emperor our light and Faith our shield"
    FEAR THE WRATH OF THE ANZAC CLAN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

99 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by turner View Post
    yea d is the way to go. Have the bray shaman as a scroll caddy and the lord in case of any scary lizardmen characters and the aspiring champion.... to be honest with this guy it depends what you want with him. Go for exalted if you want killing power but if you want a BSB, of course, you have to go with the aspiring champion...
    I think AND should probably stick with two characters, assuming the usual mix of huge stomping units typical of a Khorne army. If the army has more marauder-type static CR units, then the 3rd killing character/BSB is probably a good idea.

AND: any clues on army composition so we can provide more precise advice? Maybe post an army list and tell us the title here?

Koosh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An army outline would be helpful, but for the time being I like to use a safe guildline of never spending more than 25% percent of my points on characters. I'm a fan of numbers, and my 2000 point Khorne army has a US of over 100. I've seen many a new chaos player take 3 or 4 heavily equipped characters, including a Lord, and I assure you that this will not win the game for you. A fully ranked unit will beat a hero one on one anyday, Si heroes should be used to support such units. You shouldn't buy heroes to the point where you can't afford troops.

This makes option D, as Kooslord suggested, the best course of action. It's up to you really, but experimentation has shown me that overinvestment in a chaos army will often lead to doom. Such a small number of elite troops will result in regular opponents being able to easily tailor their lists to have a counter to each of your units, and then some.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i personally dont see why in 2k you have to use a lord level char. fott he poiints you can get a whole block of chaos warriors or knights.

im personally a big fan of just two exalt champs. some magic items to improve them a bit. i've never seen a lord gain back their points in only 2k.

just my two cents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

99 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Silvanest View Post
    i personally dont see why in 2k you have to use a lord level char. fott he poiints you can get a whole block of chaos warriors or knights.

im personally a big fan of just two exalt champs. some magic items to improve them a bit. i've never seen a lord gain back their points in only 2k.

just my two cents.
    I agree that a Chaos Lord will probably not make the points back, just because there are very few things that cost as much. If you are worried about recovering points, then 2 asp. or exh. champions are probably your best bet.

I approach this somewhat differently. I almost always field 20 warriors of khorne with hand weapon and shield, the banner of rage, and a lord of khorne with armor of damnation, gaze of the gods, and the slaughterer's blade. It never loses, and always kills something. So it denies victory points to my foe, and gains a few points of its own. It tends to munch those units which make up their points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never expect something to 'take its points back', especially any character. A typical game of warhammer will have troops left on both sides by its end, and characters aren't designed for mass killing (most of them). They're there to swing the tide of battle for your troops, who do the real fighting.

Which is why you should limit your investment in characters, whatever kind you bring.

+ Reply to Thread