Warriors of Chaos: extra hand weapons or shields?? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warriors of Chaos: extra hand weapons or shields??

Greetings. I am currently working on my list for a Slaaneshi Warband of Chaos. I am wondering, as I have already built/painted my chaos warriors with extra hand weapons, it appears that many (should i say all) peeps arm their chaos warriors with shield instead of extra hand weaps -- can someone tell me if this is universally true or if there is a reason why i should keep mine to have x-tra hand weaps??

Other than the obvious extra attack, what strategic reasons could there be for doing this?

What situations would this be advantageous in / or ignorant in?

Also, as i am new to the game, if i decide to play them as having shield will WYSIWYG players give me a hard time about it (ala 40k) and what can i say to shut them up?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    150 (x8)

The shield does 2 things for you. The first being keeping thier cost down. The second, it also makes them very durable. with it, they can soak up fairly easely enemy troops of strength 3-4 without breaking a sweat.

As for WYSIWYG, you need more than 50% of the models with shields in the unit. My khornate army as alot of warriors with 2 hand weapons for flavour, but 60% of them have shields.
    Best Regards,
    Wolf_Pack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use the shields as the +2 to armour save is just to good to pass up. It takes them from a guardsman save to marine save. It also saves you a point a guy. Also, the shields look cooler than handweapons.
    The Power of the Novels Shall Kill You All!! Muhaha

Ultimate Super Villian Clan; Lurking, Sniper Villian
    Star Wars Clan; Sith Lord
    Imperial Tactics Review; Master of Sanctity
    3500:Marines
    2000: Hordes of Chaos
    1500:Biel-Tan Eldar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for these replies. So is there ANY circumstance where one might want to take extra hand weapons for warriors? I vagueley remember someone telling me that the extra attack is simply to valuable to pass up or something about chosen warriors should take the extra weapon.

Also a further question about WYSIWYG, since i have already build 16 warriors with extra hand weaps and no shield, would it satisfy WYSIWYG players or tournament peeps if I simply attached shields onto the warriors backs like i did on my Dark Elf repeater crossbows for my Cult of Slaanesh army. If they were carrying 2 hand weapons AND shields on their backs could i legally say 1) they have 2 hand weaps, OR 1) they have 1x hand weapon and a shield. Thanks for your responses.

~roland

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x3)

Well,two hand weapons combined with frenzy, be they either Khornies or thankfully provided by Slaanesh Sorcery (Luxurious Torments) will deliver an amazing amount of attacks per model (3 or 4 if chosen) that means with infantry 5 models wide that's 15 or 20 attacks.
    The downside is that Strength 4 limits the usefulness of those attacks towards low-armor opponents, preferrably combined with toughness 3. Otherwise, the offensive power will wither away in the rolls to hit, to wound and then in your opponents armour-save (as example vs. regular dwarven warriors with shields it'd take statistically 6 attacks to inflict a single casualty)

As for WYSIWYG I think your approach is fine, maybe you could just have the models in the first rank equipped correct (that should suffice)

ex-Ash_Oblivion
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey!

Your idea is exactly what i have done buddy, i have cut the arms off of the shields, cleaned it up and stuck the shields onto the Warriors backs, sometimes i decide to play with both hand weapons and shields.

Yes this is expensive but it makes a really versatile unit. Other times i will just use shields, or just extra hand weapons. If someone says:

"WYSIWYG, they have shields on their backs but you havent payed the points for them".

I reply with:

"Exactly, that is why i am not going to use them, i just think the models look cool with shields on their backs".

No one can possibly argue with this as it is only for cosmetic reasons alone and it is up to you how you model your models.

For example, Marines have utility belts with knives, grenades and various other equipment on it, have you paid points for a knife or utility belt? Nope!

Its just about your opponent being decent with you, if they are going to pick up on stuff like minor WYSIWYG, then heaven knows what kind of stuff they will pick up on mid battle. "A quater of an inch out of range! Unlucky!" Thats bad sportsmanship!

Dont get me wrong, i totally disagree with a Wraithlord clearly equipped with a Starcannon, but somehow it is a Bright Lance in disguise. This is where WYSIWYG comes into play!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

Code:
    Thanks for these replies. So is there ANY circumstance where one might want to take extra hand weapons for warriors?
    This depends on your style of play and the role you have in mind for the warriors.

If i am playing a large unit of warriors to hold the centre of the field then i opt for the hand weapon and shield option as this gives them a lot more staying power. And when they are chosen, they not only have a 2+ save but they are still dishing out 2 str 4 attacks each which is usually more than enough to break enemy infantry formations.

If you plan to use them a flankers and/or for counter-charging then its the second hand weapon or a great weapon (maybe even both).
    This way they are either hitting with 2-4 (depending on marks/chosen status) attacks at str 4 each or 2-3 str 6 attacks each! Making them excellent combat deciders, especially when sided with that big defensive block in the middle as usually the flankers can kill enough men such that the only attacks back will hit the higher armoured models.

Maybe even give the flanking unit a warbanner for that extra little kick,

Regards
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares, your a mile away and you have his shoes!!

Chuck Norris invented water

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Such things tend to come down to role, or just preference. The point cost/value ratio is carefully balanced in the rules (I like to think so anyways), so you should just use which you want to use. The extra WS 5 S 4 attack can be useful, but don't underestimate the value of the shield to keep those attacks coming longer.

+ Reply to Thread