Hiding Champs in Marauder Units - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Hiding Champs in Marauder Units

I'm thinking about doing this, but I guess I'll either have to: A) Keep the champ cheap, so if they all get run down I don't cry too much, or, Find a way to make sure they win combat, or otherwise don't run. Come to think of it, option A is pretty much impossible...

What do you think about either of these champs, attached to a unit of 6x4 Marauders w/ LA, Shields and Full Command?

1) The "Hit Hard So We Always Win" Guy

Exh. Champ w/ Great Weapon, Helm of Many Eyes: 129 pts
    - Denies enemies their attacks and ups kill count.
    - If there's a better way to do this, let me know.

2) The "Super-Expensive Banner" Guy

Asp. Champ w/ Banner of the Gods: 230 pts
    - Ups combat res and provides stubborn-ity.
    - His regiment would be flanked by 2 more marauder units to get the most from this.
    - He is wickedly expensive... if there is a cheaper way to do this, let me know.

Last edited by Abraham Lincoln; January 1st, 2007 at 00:43.
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

I am quite fond of including an aspiring or exalted champion in one of my marauder units. He adds some good oomph to a charge, and can singlehandedly inflict enough kills to keep the enemy from mauling too many lightly armored marauders. Give him a GW, or halberd, or something fun from the magic list. I've been fond of giving him the whip of pleasure in case I am charged by the enemy. He can inflict 2-3 kills and prevent all your marauders from being butchered.

I'm also fond of putting my lord on a steed of Slaanesh in a unit of marauders. She adds amazing hitting power, grants the unit immunity to fear, and has the ability to charge 20 inches out to attack something else.
    The Hierarchy Chaotica: Kinky Sex > Change > Disease > Blood

98% of the population actually believes these stupid statistics. If you're part of the 2% of humanity with a brain, put this in your profile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Fat_Badger View Post
    I am quite fond of including an aspiring or exalted champion in one of my marauder units. He adds some good oomph to a charge, and can singlehandedly inflict enough kills to keep the enemy from mauling too many lightly armored marauders. Give him a GW, or halberd, or something fun from the magic list. I've been fond of giving him the whip of pleasure in case I am charged by the enemy. He can inflict 2-3 kills and prevent all your marauders from being butchered.
    That sounds pretty nasty. The Whip seems to do exactly what I'm doing with the Helm and the extra weapon, except that it doesn't make you stupid like mine.

Is it possible to attach a Champ with a Mark to a unit of Marauders? I'm not sure if only Undivided champs can attach to them... If Marked champs can, then what would happen to the effects of frenzy? Would the champ be restrained by the unit he's with, or would they all run around like idiots together?
    Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Yeah you can add marked character to marauder units, as they technically do not have a mark.

As for frenzy and the unit and such, I don't know the specifics off the top of my head. Check your rulebook around page 75-80 or so in the character psychology section. Answers should all be there.
    The Hierarchy Chaotica: Kinky Sex > Change > Disease > Blood

98% of the population actually believes these stupid statistics. If you're part of the 2% of humanity with a brain, put this in your profile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If a character in a unit is subject to frenzy and must charge, the unit he is with may charge with him. If they choose not to, then the character LEAVES the unit and charges on his own.

I AM the Evil Twin! Jared van Kell's Avatar
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1466 (x8)

Personally I find the first option to be highly effective when given to a chaos lord/exalted champion/aspiring champion with a great weapon as those S7 attacks can carve through cavary with ease. I always have my general in this configuration in a unit of 25 marauders with HW, flails, light armour, shields and full command.

In games of 2000pts or above I always take a battle standard bearer with the Banner of the Gods, again in a second unit of 25 marauders with the same weapons/armour configuration as the above unit.
    If there are any chaeper alternatives the only one I can think of a BSB with MoS and Whip of Pleasure so that he has the same role as the first option.
    Last edited by Jared van Kell; December 31st, 2006 at 13:12.
    Basically life sucks, there is only war and you're probably gonna get eaten by Tyranids, have fun.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/trek_hmm.gif

+ Reply to Thread