I like Ogres! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I like Ogres!

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

I like Ogres!

Hi all.

I'm redesigning my typical chaos army, with lots of ogres, cause they are fun. Beside them I can field many HoC and BoC units. Not many chariots though, cause my typical foes include empire, dark elves, dwarves, orcs and goblins (cannons and stone throwers). I have:

-4 ogres which are either bulls with light armor and ironfist, or chaos ogres with heavy armor and shield. 1 bellower/musician, 1 std.
    -4 ogres with heavy armor and gt wpn. 1 bellower. These could be chaos ogres or ironguts.
    -4 leadbelchers
    -2 maneaters, gt wpn and pirate models.
    -7 dragon ogres, great wpn, light armor.

So, what should I think about while composing an army? Commence brainstorming! After the storm, I'll put something a little more specific in the army lists section. I want:

-at least two ogre-y units (dragon ogres count)
    -diversity, which produces versatility and balance (in my mind at least)
    -an effective list. I don't worry too much about fluff in my chaos armies, and am not above fielding mercenary ogres as opposed to chaos ogres.

Thanks!
    Koosh

Last edited by kooshlord; January 11th, 2007 at 19:56.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Well, it's a cool idea. I wish I knew HoC better so I could chime in! But I'm anxious to see what people come up with...
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im only just starting a HoC army, but i like myself am a fan of ogres This is assuming you're mercing, cus im not smart enough to make up a chaos ogre list for you So i'd have one thing to say...

Where's your Rhinox Riders? with a possibility of 2+ save in cc, causing terror, it's 500ish points for 3, but id say very well spent if you can get them in to do damage, they take up two rare slots as DoW but... The normal ogres just arent worth the points compared to warriors of chaos who are better in C+C and come with heavy armour as standard...

Plus the rhinox riders would have a cool scary factor when ur opponent sees them appear on the table...

But id say
    >bulls and iron guts, dont use them ...(it's a points thing, though you could use them for flanking, they are almost as fast as chaos cavalry)
    >leadbelchers could be useful would do some good damage with the cannons id imagine...
    >maneaters, well not too sure, they could definitely do damage, cathayan longswords would be good
    >dragon ogres, don't know the stats, so couldnt advise, but i believe they are cavalry, so could possibly fill in a chaos knight spot..

I'm assuming u'd be mercing them... so the problem is, bull ogres, oddly, for their size, only real advantage over warriors of chaos is wounds and attacks, and they lack heavy armour, and the iron guts although in armour, wouldnt match imo an equal costing unit of chaos warriors (barring good/bad dice rolls) so i'd say, stick with the more odd ogre units, maneaters (good with cathayan swords or pistols), leadbelchers (ranged weapons, something chaos lack), rhinox riders (scary cavalry) and possibly dragon ogres

On a side note, rhinox riders are expensive to buy, and in points, and im yet to get mine, but when full tanked up, they seem hella scary on paper, and in an army over 2000 pts, they could be a must for an ogre lover, if merely for intimidation

JABBERING DONE!!

-two ogre-y units.. easy t fit in
    -diversity.. dragon ogres and lead belchers
    -effective.. maneaters.. possibly rhinox riders

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    205 (x7)

If you're gonna spend so many points on 3 Rhinox riders in a chaos army, might as well get a Dragon. At least them, you can go to any tourny with em. However, they do kick butt (on paper anyway) and would be worth proxying before you go the whole hog.

Gives me an idea, maybe a dragon ogre shaggoth the lead the army?? Nows theres a cool theme. Hed be like the king of all ogres or something.....

I'm assuming u'd be mercing them... so the problem is, bull ogres, oddly, for their size, only real advantage over warriors of chaos is wounds and attacks
    the 'only' advantage? Dude, more wounds and more attacks is very good. Short of mark of khorne, chosen or 2 hand weaopns, all god expensive upgrades, warriors only have 1 attack. Combined with there points cost, they'll prob wont outnumber, may get 2 ranks. In many cases, 17 odd s4 attacks will be much more valuable then 6 s4 attcks +2 ranks. Plus the other advantaes you forgot the mention are: Fear causing, higher movement, and the Ogre kingdoms versions get impact hits. These guys arent the same as warriors and play completely different.

As for the idea, i think itll be worth posting an army list. Things i would see as a must are:

Dragon ogres: These wil fill the Heavy cav role, with m7 and massive strength. Go nuts.
    Chaos ogres: Just coz the use special slots. Always give em heavy armour and shield, even when using those great weapons (for shooting defense.)
    Unit of Ogre kingdoms DOW: They have somw good advantages over other ogres, namely impact hits.

Just not sure what rank-and-file to put with them.Beastmen would offer great support, with m5, and good screens to, being skermished. They'd be my choice. Also, similar to the role of gnoblars, run some Marauders with em, the get some sort of rank bonus, too.

Anyway, good luck, let us know how it goes.

Regards, Tim.

PS: DavidVC04, I think its time you got a Chaos army book, dude!! you spend way to much time floating around the Chaos forum wishing you knew more!!!:yes:
    Last edited by timk1111; January 24th, 2007 at 10:08.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by timk1111 View Post
    PS: DavidVC04, I think its time you got a Chaos army book, dude!! you spend way to much time floating around the Chaos forum wishing you knew more!!!:yes:
    Oh, I've got one. And I recently reread it. But as far as what units are worth the points, what mix of units work, mortals and/or daemons, BoC, etc. Well, there I don't have a clue. It looks like one of the most confusing armies out there just because there are so many options. :wacko:
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    205 (x7)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidVC04 View Post
    Oh, I've got one. And I recently reread it. But as far as what units are worth the points, what mix of units work, mortals and/or daemons, BoC, etc. Well, there I don't have a clue. It looks like one of the most confusing armies out there just because there are so many options. :wacko:
    I did meant it Jokingly, but thats cool. Just do what i do, and make it look like you have a clue....:shifty:

Tim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

Welp ive decided to poke my nose into another boards ogre talk =P.

When it comes down to basic effectivness for points value all OK players will pretty much agree that ironguts are the best buy. in a HoC army as odd as it sounds treat your Ogres as heavy calvery without the armor. Use them to flank outmanuver and aggitate. If you can help it NEVER take the charge or charge the front. Despite how the look ogres do not make good brute units. They require finess to get the most out of them

Leadbelchers: The Psych factor is greater than what the unit actually does. Artillery dice worth of shots can be nice but they do need to roll to hit and with the ogre's less then optimal BS leads to less shots than you would think. But those shots can lay some hurt on a unit. Use it to open up small units of heavy calvery since you get that nice -2 Armor from it. Never let them get charged. Shoot flee the charge. a turn spent rallying counts as a turn spent reloading. Also take a Musician to get +1 LD for rallying but never that a champ or Standard bearer.

Bulls: Never take a champ or standard bearer or light armor. Run them naked or with AHW.
    Once again flank if you can. Use theese to take out Light armor or horde units.

Ironguts: Nothing not to like here. 3 attacks at a high str and movement 6 to boot. Enjoy the carnage they inflict. once again Flank.

Rhinox riders: Ho boy. theese guys will take so much magic and missile fire its worth taking them just for that. If your opponent spends all his shooting on theese boys (wich 99% of the world will do) the rest of your army will without a doubt have enough left to make him pay for his mistake. And when the riders make it to close combat (notice i said when not if. if they dont make it then the dice gods have left you to your fate) They will devour anything they touch. Pricy but the fear the put into your opponent is worth it all on their own. And with a healthy save (for ogres) and an irresponsibly high ammount of wounds they are getting were you want so that terror and disgustingly hard charge can do some good.

Hope this helps
    Looking for help with your Ogre kingdoms. Need help against them? have burning questions about life or why Dave's Avatar is so creepy. Feel free to stop by and ask OverTyrant Loki

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ml#post1104558

+ Reply to Thread