Equipping Marauders - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: How do you equip your marauders?

Voters
120. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shields

71 59.17%
  • Light Armour

73 60.83%
  • Hand Weapon

55 45.83%
  • Flails

31 25.83%
  • Great Weapons

11 9.17%
  • Marauders SUCK! I NEVER use them!

14 11.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    64 (x2)

Equipping Marauders

Well, since my poll about marauder horsemen was such a failure (good discussion though!) I though I would put up another one about footslogging Marauders. I am still very new to HoC, but I have so far been very impressed by these guys.

In my 1000 point list I have 2 blocks of 24 (6 wide x 4 deep) with shields, hand weapons and light armor, and they are great "Anvil" units. Talk about a huge sack of potatoes - these guys will never go down. Even when they are on the receiving end of a charge, they can absorb whatever the opponent is throwing at them. As long as you keep their flanks covered. They are usually the match of any other basic troops as well.

I'm thinking about adding a third big block of them, and giving them all flails, shields and light armor. Does anyone else use this combo? S5 sounds like it could seriously add to their punch, and the cost looks negligible, even for a big block of them.

Anyone have other uses for them?

Armies:
    Tyranids: 2500 pts
    Imperial Guard: 1000 pts
    Witch Hunters: 1000 pts

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    117 (x3)

Well, I mostly field them similar, though usually a bit smaller; since I play magic-heavy infantry they mostly harbor the chaos sorcerers which blast their spells on the enemy whilst slowly advancing (and giving my horsemen and flyers time to get into position :shifty: )
    I'm especially fond of my tzeentch-marked battle-standard bearer in a unit of 14 marauders (with full command) which do advance in second row, providing the usefull re-roll once the combat up front gets nasty (and magic is often enough unreliable ) and with the 30" range of the red fire he can always find a target to hamper while advancing. And they're reliable enough to stand a fight if necessary.

As for flails/great weapons options: yes, sometimes too, but it depends on the opponent. Versus Elves which have higher initiative (thus the striking last becomes irrelevant) great weapons are quite nice (if you wanna deal out some damage). likewise, if you're expecting opponents with some S6 dealing units, then their armour save won't hold anything at all (so you might want to give the occasional front rank survivors at least a better chance of dealing damage :yes: )

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

I usually include two blocks of 25 in a 5x5 formation with shields, armor, and full command. I've toyed with a frontage of 6, but that really just ends up becoming unwieldy in my opinion. The extra attack you gain doesn't help much. Marauders are really there for static combat res.

On other occasions I also will field small units of 10 with flails to act as flanking troops or as screens. They can shield the real troops, act as bait, etc. Very nice and cheap, yet still capable of killing a few things on the charge and breaking ranks.
    The Hierarchy Chaotica: Kinky Sex > Change > Disease > Blood

98% of the population actually believes these stupid statistics. If you're part of the 2% of humanity with a brain, put this in your profile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree that it depends on the opponent. However I mostly do 2 untis of 23 marauders with armour and shields and end up putting characters on horses in each one. In between those units some warriors. The general popularity at my store seems to be marauders with light armour and shields.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it realy depends on what you want them to do. i typically take one block with sheild light armor and hand weapon and use it as just a standard block of troops.

but my other is a good sized block with flails and light armor. go after high T blocks and flank. or take acouple smaller blocks with great weapons and go chariot or monster hunting and flanking
    "Moral Victory! the enemy ran away at the sight of my roting, spikey, diseased, awesomeness... wait.. what?" ~ Theyak

Tabletop Terraformer Tzeentch Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

109 (x4)

I always use large blocks of Marauders with hand weapons, shields and light armour. Such units are almost always led by an Aspiring Champion as well. This serves two purposes; first, it adds a little bit of extra leadership, and second it means that even if there's few if any grunts left to fight back, as long as my opponent has forgotten about targeting my champion, he will be around to deal some damage back! It also means my champions are protected from being shot too of course.

To be honest, I've always believed that giving marauders great weapons or flails is madness (especially flails). Sure, you might have S5, but what difference is that going to make when the unit has been shot to hell and/or charged and massacred? I've no idea why anyone would want to use flails, especially on troops of low toughness and little armour. If they survive the first round of combat, your men are stuck using a two-handed hand weapon. If you're going to sacrifice their protection, why not just give them great weapons?

It must be remembered that Marauders are only basic squishy men who could be taken out with a lucky shot from a water pistol. They need the most armour they can get in order to survive combat and being shot at. Their main strength is not in combat ability, but in numbers and ranks. They dont need to deal damage (that's what the Aspiring/Exalted champions are for), they just need to survive the fight to lend their ranks and numbers to the combat resolution.

A 4+ armour save is pretty good anyway, WS4 means many opponents are less likely to hit them in the first place, and if you can get a Yellow Fire ward save on the unit as well, that makes a surprisingly tough nut to crack.

In conclusion, hand weapons, shield and light armour is the way forward!
    Last edited by Tzeentch Lord; February 16th, 2007 at 16:07.
    "Peace, through superior firepower."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll probably use them eventually, but right now they seem like a waste of points that would be better spent on hounds . They seem like they suck to me, but I haven't actually used them so I wouldn't know :sleep: .

Tabletop Terraformer Tzeentch Lord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

109 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by Kage View Post
    They seem like they suck to me, but I haven't actually used them so I wouldn't know :sleep: .
    Well, as you say you haven't used them yet. If you had, you'd see that with the right gear and leadership, they are a tough unit that can hold their own against many other units. I've had my Champion led Marauders hold out against hordes of undead, Ogre bulls, Saurus warriors and even a unit of four Dragon Ogres (which they actually beat and sent running!). As long as they have the numbers and ranks, and a champion to deal some damage, they can be a formidable force. A force which not only many opponents will underestimate, but which are also dirt cheap for a Chaos unit!

Personally, I'd rather have a large block of Marauders than a swarm of Warhounds. But of course, both units are used for entirely different purposes, so you can't really compare the two.
    "Peace, through superior firepower."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, now I realize that I really should use them,lol :blush:

Before I just pictured them as "worse-than-choas-warriors", but having more regiments around with guys that are decent for 5pts a piece sounds nice, now that I look at it again,lol :w00t: .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to agree with lord. Even before playing my 3rd game Ive never considered flails for a marauder unit. I didnt know that anyone would use them or debate using them. (I did see the other HoC player use them today!)

Well, I was facing another hoc and he had a big unit of flailed marauders. I shot them up. Like crazy. Depending on how many hits I got after the to wound hit was how many I killed basically. Yet even when the marauders did get into combat they were able to hold aganist some Lizardmen for a while. It was a unit of 40 men. Yet after the first round of combat it was all down hill. Yet the Saurus warriors were doing 11 attacks with their spears and still not killing them at the rates I wanted them too. Marauders are great.

They can hold units up and in all my little games I have a champ of some form. The marauders are like a big cotton ball and the champ is a needle in it sticking out. Or some metaphor (or is it a similie) like that.

I was using lizardmen, because it was me and 3 new players. Each new player had one regiment. I acted as supreme commander of our forces, and we won.

In all, big units of marauders can survive a lot, flails make them die a lot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast