Librarium Online Forums banner

New to Fantasy, Sorcerer question.

560 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Khorne Lord 
#1 ·
I've had one of my 'beginner' game yesterday against someone who plays Chaos, we both agree that the game would be 700pts.

His army list was consisted of:
1 Slannesh Sorcerer
1 Aspiring Champion as General
10 Chosen Warriors
5 Warriors
5 Warhounds

After my brutal defeat, I was a little furious on how a 14pt warrior (or +little more for the chosen unit) could be 100x more effective on the battlefield than my 12pt Glade Guards. He claimed that his Chosen Warriors are 1+ armour save against my shooting attacks which just totally smoked my entire army as he advance unstoppable every turn. His Chaos Sorcerer was also somehow 'magically' 2+ armour save and S6 or S7 that literally cut down my calvary in combat single-handly after 3 turns.

I was later found out that my opponent had been cheating at me all game, but I guess I couldn't do much at that point since I wasn't familiar with the Chaos (He didn't bring his codex to the game, I believed in every words he said).

My question is, can a Chaos Sorcerer be equipped with a common magic Enchanted Shield which will effectively boost his armour save to 2+?

Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Chaos sorcerers do indeed come with chaos armor that grants them a 4+ save. However, being a wizard, it may not choose other armor or magic armor. Thus, no enchanted shield for him.

If mounted on a steed you can see a sorcerer with a 2+ save, but no luck on foot.

#3 ·
Simple answer: No shields for sorcerers. even the Rulebook backs this (p.121): A model that can't use a mundane shield also can't use any magic shield.

But note that a Bray Shaman with his Braystaff could come to a 2+ armour save (only in close combat although some rule lawyers thend to bend the wording there :(( )

#4 ·
Indeed, no shields of any kind for sorcerers or bray shaman. Because these characters do not have the option of taking a mundane shield, they may therefore not take a magical one either.

nekochen said:
He claimed that his Chosen Warriors are 1+ armour save against my shooting attacks
Definately cheating, they dont even get that in close combat (although chosen knights do). Chosen warriors with shields get a 3+ save out of combat and a 2+ save in combat.

nekochen said:
His Chaos Sorcerer was also somehow 'magically' 2+ armour save and S6 or S7 that literally cut down my calvary in combat single-handly after 3 turns.
Well we've answered the shield question, but what about the high strength issue. Did he say what weapon his sorcerer was using? The only thing the sorcerer could have used to get S6 would have been the Slaughterer's Blade from the Beasts of Chaos book (which is unlikely, as he didnt even bring his Hordes book). However, if he claimed his sorcerer was S7, then once again, he was outright cheating.

Also, I have a big problem with the fact that you say your opponent didn't even bring his Chaos army book with him. I hope you dont get caught out by that again! Whether he realised he was cheating or not is neither here nor there. He should have brought his book with him so you can check these rules if he tries to pull a fast one on you.

But note that a Bray Shaman with his Braystaff could come to a 2+ armour save (only in close combat although some rule lawyers thend to bend the wording there :(( )
Hmm, well I'd have to punch said rules lawyers in the mush if they tried to argue that one with me. The rules for Braystaffs state that they:
"...can be used in one of two ways (nominate which at the start of each Close Combat round)."
That to me is quite clear, you can't use either of the braystaff's abilities unless you are in combat. So trying to gain +2 armour save while out of combat wouldn't work.

#7 ·
How do they get a 2+ save in combat?
Chosen warriors have;

Chaos armour: 4+ save
Shield: +1
Hand weapon (with shield in combat): +1
Total = 2+ armour save (3+ out of combat)

Chosen knights get a 1+ save in combat because although they dont get the +1 for the hand weapon and shield combo (that's for models on foot only), they also have barded steeds, which give +2 armour save.

Hope that clears things up for you :)

#8 ·
And in case coenono was referring to the 2+ save of Bray Shamans and not Chosen Warriors -

4+ Chaos Armour (10 pts magic item in beasts book)
3+ with shield, 2+ in CC

since they can't use it out of CC anyways, as TL said, it should be 4+ out of combat and 2+ in combat.

And I *think*, Fat Badger, that if a Sorcerer gets normal chaos armour he has access to the armoury's chaos armour. It's part of the Chaos Armour description, and since, say, Crimson Armour says that it's chaos armour in its description, then it should be wearable by sorcerers. But a socerer on foot still doesn't have access to 2+.

And I don't think his chosen would have much armour left at all against a wood elf's archery >.>. Don't they have some sort of high strength or armour-piercing bows?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.