old dark elf player lost in the chaos wastelands - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

old dark elf player lost in the chaos wastelands

Hi all friendly chaos lords and daemons ^^
    I'm a old warhammer player (played mostly back in 5th and 6th), haven't played a single game since 7th ed. Mostly due to lack of time and money. Now that I'm waiting for the next dark elf update (sometime in 2k9 I've heard ) I want a smal side project. I want to start a chaos army (as they arn't that numerous and my wallet is thin). So the first problem comes down to what god to obey... I really like both slaanesh and nurgle so lets choose between those two. I really like a well themed army and I'm all out on looks so I want a nice looking well themed army ^^, but still playable (as I don't want a army that is crippled when I'm actually playing a game). I want mostly a mortal army with no or some daemons, I don't want to use beasts.
    I'm aiming for the army size of 750pts - 1000pts. I really don't want to buy large numbers of metal models as they costs too much. I want a close combat oriented army with not too much magic (as my dark elf army is very very magic heavy and somewhat shootly). So can any of my friendly chaos naighbours help me to create a army list? ^^

I've created an army list [LINK!], and will change that with the suggestions from this thread.

Podhammer - The Warhammer Podcast

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

Well for army lists, you'll have to come up with something and post it in the lists section. However, here are some starting thoughts!

Since you want a mostly mortal army, no beasts, few daemons, I'd go Slaanesh. Units of nurgle rarely outnumber anything, so they rarely get full advantage from fear. IMO nurgle is mostly useful for characters and heavily armored minotaurs, and since you won't field the bovines, I wouldn't bother. However, going Slannesh means marked units can't flee from charges, so once in a while that'll hurt you. Plenty of undivided/unmarked units help there though.

For all chaos armies, especially under 2K, I'd recommend: furies, warhounds, and marauder horsemen for movement, screening and picking off stray targets. If you want cav, lean towards knights and chariots. If you want infantry, marauders are probably better than warriors (too expensive for small games).

Hope that helps.
    -Koosh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah I just wanted to get more insight before making a list... but it's done now and I've posted a link in the first post. Continued comments would be nice ^^ tanks for the adivce so far.

Podhammer - The Warhammer Podcast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love marauders and chariots. Add in a unit of warhounds and Ka-blam! instant low point cost chaos army. At 1k, I have learned my lesson about knights, and that they are best used when u can afford the points for them. I therefore, must advise against the knights. Also, a common response I tell starters is to not get too absorbed in warriors, as they tend to be much too point heavy to field large numbers of hem, and that can grow into being a problem. Also, marauder horsemen, very good choice. Fast cavalry and have the only real "long" range weapons for our army, before the hellcannon. Good luck, and congratulations on the trimming of your ears and growing of your calves and biceps:yes:

+ Reply to Thread