mortals of Chaos VS. All ranged?! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mortals of Chaos VS. All ranged?!

I am playing in a campaign where 4 of my enemies (got tired of losing) and made all ranged armies... Skaven with their ratling guns and Jezzails. Dwarves maxed out ranged and artillery, Wood elves and Empire following suit.

Can anyone make any suggestions? I would like to refrain from buying more pieces.

I have lots of warriors, knights, and most of the heroes. I have chariots, dogs and furies also.

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    476 (x8)

Slaanesh magic, furies, screamers, beast herds (BoC-based army with ambush could be amusing) are all worth a look. Taking lots of cavalry would dilute their firepower, but warriors will be a liability given how slow they move.

A Tzeentchian lord on a dragon with the golden eye would be a good way to win games and lose friends .

Having an army and not owning a rulebook is like owning a car with no steering wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by amishcellphone
    <3 rork. He does all the arguing so I don't have to.

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

Bwahahahaha

OK, you asked for it. Now you have to listen to me rant about fighting ranged opponents.

I started playing in 6th edition, against a gunline O&G army. This army occasionally consisted of 4 stone throwers, 2 doom divers, and 4 maxed out mages, with a few core units thrown in for good measure. So there are my anti-gunline credentials.

Purchases: Hellcannon (if your friends allow SOC units). Beastherd. The Beastherd is great for screening against shooting, and is pretty nasty in CC. The hellcannon blasts the snot out of concentrated gunlines. Units of maruaders are also cheaper for soaking casualties than warriors are, and can be fairly effective when you include Chaos heros in them.

If you really don't want to purchase anything, use lots of slaanesh, undivided, or khorne. These are resiliant against the panic tests from shooting. Or you could use lots of tzeentch and hope to get the ward save spells and banners. Nurgle probably won't help you much.

Chariots are probably just cannon fodder (literally).

Lots of dogs and lots of knights may be your best bet against these armies if you aren't willing to purchase more stuff. big units of warriors coupled with beastherds are pretty effective also. A large unit of furies can cause a lot of damage, but make sure your enemies can't flee out of range, or you may be set up for a counter-charge.

Basically, shooting is only effective against the really small armies. The more bodies you have on the table, the harder it is to shoot you to death. If you have only a few, really elite units, they might be able to destroy everyone at range. On the other hand, if you have a ton of knights moving quickly, they may not have enough time to destroy everyone.

blah blah blah. Hope it helps,
    -Koosh
    Arena of Death Champion: Nexim of the Guldskullz Tribe. Fear my wrath!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by kooshlord View Post
    Purchases: Hellcannon (if your friends allow SOC units). Beastherd. The Beastherd is great for screening against shooting, and is pretty nasty in CC. The hellcannon blasts the snot out of concentrated gunlines. Units of maruaders are also cheaper for soaking casualties than warriors are, and can be fairly effective when you include Chaos heros in them.
    Well you don't have to ask. SoC Hellcannon and Goblin Hewer are legal additions, even outside the campain, and you can have them in normal armies without asking forpermission
    Just do it.

-lurking in the shadows of LO.

Officially diagnosed by Tekore
    Melkhior, Necrarch Lord

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

I like Kooshlord's theory that the more bodies you have on the field the less effective his shooting will be.

Also, in scenarios like this furies and dogs are your friends. Use them in small units but field lots of them. If a unit of thunderers or hand gunners fires at some furies causing 10 wounds but there is only 5 of them....well its wasted shots isnt it???

Furies and dogs can also utilize cover or simply take a round of shooting on the chin which will allow them to get into combat in the second turn, thus holding them up for the one turn needed to get the knights there.

Also, they will form fast moving screens for your knights, giving them the time they need to get into combat with their gunlines.....if the knights make it into combat, they are in a world of trouble.

I also like the idea with the hellcannon. Combine this with the dogs, knights and furies thus getting your own units away from it as quickly as possible.

I have never been a fan of beast herds, they simply look to tacky. That being said, their merit is noted, skirmished and quite effective in combat.

Basically, if it were me, as many knights, furies and dogs as possible.

A Tzeentchian lord on a dragon with the golden eye would be a good way to win games and lose friends
    Hehehehe, indeed!!

Regards
    Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares, your a mile away and you have his shoes!!

Chuck Norris invented water

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

99 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by cebwj View Post
    Well you don't have to ask. SoC Hellcannon and Goblin Hewer are legal additions, even outside the campain, and you can have them in normal armies without asking for permission
    Just do it.
    Be careful with this. My club certainly allows the SOC units. However, I've heard that a lot of tourneys ban the units and lists. I don't play tourneys so I don't have personal confirmation of this.

Basically, its a lot less painful to ask first than it is to buy and paint a new model only to find your friends won't let you play with it. Since I don't know who Reaper84 is playing with, I approach the subject cautiously.

I've also had a friend get irritated with supplement after supplement coming out adding new additions to chaos (the O&G gunline player). And it is a game for fun, so I'd rather limit my choices a little bit than aggravate my friends away from the game. Of course, since I was already irritated with his army, my sympathy was limited.

-Koosh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice!

I do use a hellcannon when points permit... 2 rare and all.

I think I will drop a unit of warriors or both my chariots for some dogs and maybe some marauders. Beastmen are not really my thing, but I might pick some up.

Dogs are awsome, so cheap and so fast. I could easily anger some people with 6 or so groups of 5

Am I alone in thinking that all ranged super guns (guns better than 40k guns btw) are a little bit cheese?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

99 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper84 View Post
    Am I alone in thinking that all ranged super guns (guns better than 40k guns btw) are a little bit cheese?
    I don't like the concept 'cheese.' I'd rather say that I find an army frustrating, boring, or just not fun to play against. Much more meaningful and honest, IMO.

I will say that all-ranged super guns ARE frustrating, boring, and not much fun. Both to play with and against. I've used a dwarf gunline before, and it got old really quickly, cause I did nothing for 3/4 of each of my turns. Now I play it as a CC army. And the O&G gunline was always an annoying mess, especially cause the O&G player couldn't keep his rules straight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I picked up a unit of beast herd and a box of dogs (bringing my total to 20)

I guess I will have to see how this does

4 groups of 5 dogs
    8 Chosen knights of khorne with a Lord on daemonic mount
    23 Chosen warriors with Exalted Champion
    20 beast herd
    Hell Cannon

Trying to decide what to do with the remaining points... hrm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

99 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper84 View Post
    I picked up a unit of beast herd and a box of dogs (bringing my total to 20)

I guess I will have to see how this does

4 groups of 5 dogs
    8 Chosen knights of khorne with a Lord on daemonic mount
    23 Chosen warriors with Exalted Champion
    20 beast herd
    Hell Cannon

Trying to decide what to do with the remaining points... hrm
    I'd actually be tempted to put the Lord in the warriors, they'll need occasional help. 8 knights is already more than you'll reliably be able to get in combat with most units. Of course you may need the spares due to shooting casualties.

I suggest including your furies. They are chaos's best offense against shooting.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast