A noob in need of help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A noob in need of help

If the name dosn't say it all, I'm starting a all khorne chaos army, and I'v got a bunch of quesions before I walk into GW.
    1 How maney warriors can I effectivly field? In other words what is over kill at say 1000,1500 and 2000 pts
    2 Are warhound any good? I was playing with a buddy using proxy guys and I realized that annoying "i'm frenzyed soI HAVE to charge"rule can be avoided by throwing a squad of these guys infront of a unit, they also take hits for them and only cost 30 pts a unit.
    3 How maney Charriots can I field effectivly? Every since a game with a chaos guy where his charriot killed my kitted out ironguts i Loved/Hated these things (loved when there on the right side of the table.) and there realy nice fighters (5 + d6 str 5 attacks and 2 more str 4)
    4 What do you guys do about artilery in specific cannons? Furries are nice and hound shields look good but is that gona get the job done ?
    5 Quick little rules Q can a Frenzyed unit break from combat in the 1st round ?

Thanks for any advice that You guys give me !! :yes:

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

1. I would not field more than 20 warriors (1 unit) unit 2500 points, when I'd consider a 2nd unit. 1 unit with hand weapons, shields, MoK, and Banner of rage, guarded by a character or two, is practically unstoppable. Other people like units of 12, fielded 6X2, as flankers. I think its cheaper and better to get a unit of knights than a small unit of infantry as flankers, the knights are more likely to be able to flank due to speed, and more likely to survive due to armor. Both are valid options however.

2. Get between 2 and 4 units of warhounds, I like them in 5s. They are also great for charge-baiting and forcing your opponent to deploy real units before you do.

3. Watch out for Khorne chariots, they can be frenzy-baited right into trees. You can field as many as you want, they are nasty powerful. But if you field Lots, people will start crying cheese. 2 is probably reasonable.

4. Furies, hounds, beast herds, marauder horsemen are valid. So is a hellcannon from Storm of chaos if your opponents allow them, and play concentrated artillery (or concentrated anything). If you don't mind breaking fluff, you could get a mercenary cannon also. But lots of people whinge about this as well.

5. If the frenzied unit is beaten (looses CR) in the first round it looses its frenzy. It can then fail its break test, and if it does, it breaks like anything else.

Hope it helps!
    -Koosh
    Arena of Death Champion: Nexim of the Guldskullz Tribe. Fear my wrath!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

My advise would be to play undivided if you are new at chaos. Khorne is very popular with new players because of their stats on paper. However in games agains experienced players the frenzy will be used against you and you will have no control over your army.

Khorne blinds people by their masses of attacks which players love. But undivied is much more powerfull.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    523 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvester View Post
    My advise would be to play undivided if you are new at chaos. Khorne is very popular with new players because of their stats on paper. However in games agains experienced players the frenzy will be used against you and you will have no control over your army.

Khorne blinds people by their masses of attacks which players love. But undivied is much more powerfull.
    It is not all about winning. If you like the fluff behind Khorne and the models/paint scheme then I say go for it. I've never played chaos before and I'm going to start with a Khornate army this summer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

I agree. But the extra attacks is what draws most players to Khorne. Not the fluff. Personally I like the Nurgle fluff much better but it's not as combat heavy so that's why it's not chosen more.

Junior Member Korpus_festerheart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nurgles a cool army with cool fluff,
    you get stronger Heroes and lords, FEAR, immunity to Fear
    A cool magic lore and cool demons and powers
    oh and did i mention FEAR!!!!!!
    its only downfall is it is quite a slow army and lack of items and only 2 of them worth taking (that i can think of)
    Nurgle Rocks

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    99 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Korpus_festerheart View Post
    its only downfall is it is quite a slow army and lack of items and only 2 of them worth taking
    And also that you don't have the numbers of fear-causing models to really outnumber anything, and thus can't take full advantage of fear. And also that in gaining fear you lose protection against panic, making you more vulnerable to shooting/magic than Undivided, Khorne, or Slaanesh. IMO, the best thing about nurgle is nurgle minotaurs, and extra resiliant characters.

BUT this is really a Khorne thread. I started out with Tzeentch, went briefly to Nurgle, and now stick with Khorne most of the time. Most of my army is not marked though, I tend to have only about 3 marked things (Lord, warriors, sometimes knights or minotaurs) in my army.

I think Khorne is a perfectly valid beginner army, every army has its ups and downs. In exchange for being frenzy-baitable, you gain immunity to other psychology, which is extremely useful against gunlines, fear-causers, etc. You just learn to guard against being baited.

My biggest advice with Khorne: it is the most expensive mark for units, so if you have lots of little marked units, you aren't going to have very many guys. For this reason I like 1 big marked unit of warriors, and I like to protect their frenzy with the banner of rage.

-Koosh
    Arena of Death Champion: Nexim of the Guldskullz Tribe. Fear my wrath!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

I think Koosh has it down. But he is experienced. Khorne in the hands of an experienced general is very scary. I do have to disagree with it being a good beginner army. Frenzy will cause the player to lose control of the game and they have the game play itself which is not that much of a learning experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iv been playing khone in 40k for years now, I love the fluff and ontop of that i hate the other powers exept undivided. And undivided seems a bit borring. Thanks guys for your advise il try and keep you updated on how my army is going. Thanks again !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey again I just picked up my first box of warriors and found a couple old games day models for heros my next question is what is the next logical step in my army Knights (just because there so awesome) Marauders (because I think the army could use a few more troops ) a basic warrior chariot (another de-spell die ands core choice) or a box of 10 furies (anti artillery and flank charges) Any other suggestions would be equally appreciated thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast